UEFA Euro 2016 thread

England are still struggling to adjust to the half-back Dier role, from what I can see. It looks like the centrebacks aren’t fanning wide so Dier can drop back, which leaves Dier in an awkward position almost on top of the CBs and the fullbacks reticent to roam.

Yeah, I thought last night was a suitably deflating performance to further lower expectations going into the tournament. Labouring to get over a 10 man, Ronaldo-less Portugal is not ideal.

I think, as well as the problem Sampsiceramos identifies at the bottom of the diamond - I also thought we struggled at the top of it when we had the ball. Vardy and Kane were quite some distance apart, presumably to allow space for Rooney to step forward - but in so doing, also occupied spaces where the full backs need to pushing into to supply the space. There’s quite a bit of work still to do to bed this formation in, I think.

I wish we weren’t where we are with Rooney. I really think Alli should be at the tip of the diamond.

I honestly think Sterling is a better choice than Alli at the top of the diamond, Cumbrian - at least against teams that intend to sit deep and let England have the ball. Alli’s not a bad player technically, but he does better when he has space to move into. Sterling is better at playing in the small gaps and has far better balance, and he’s played right behind the striker for City before with a fair bit of success.

I think a diamond with Dier at the bottom, Milner and Alli in the centre, and Sterling at the top has a nice mix of physicality and flair.

England seem obsessed within picking people on reputation rather the form. Which is why Rooney is always in the XI. You need to be ruthless, like Arogonnes dropping Raul.

Since this seems to have degenerated into a discussion of the England squad, there’s a fun thing going around right now about the Daily Mail’s forecast, back in 2007, of who would be in the 2016 England team. Dean Parrett in right midfield, that is the answer!

Honestly I think it’s just that England is the highest-profile squad that has anything particularly contentious about it to discuss. With teams like France and Spain it’s more a question of “oh I sure hope Deschamps isn’t a moron as always and plays Griezmann out of position!” than it’s a question of who should be in the starting lineup in the first place and how the team intends to play.

I don’t know, I imagine that on Croatian message boards they are furiously arguing about the make-up of their squad. It’s just that on this board there are a lot of people interested in England.

It’s fine, though. There’s not that much to talk about yet re Euro 2016, let’s face it.

I wouldn’t be against this to be honest. I rate Alli quite highly in that advanced role when I have seen him in and around the penalty area for Spurs, but think Sterling could do similar, so agree that far at least. Also thought Sterling did OK yesterday and drifted into the left channel well, so might be alright in the left side of the diamond.

If they were really good, they’d switch and match Total Football style. Baby steps though. I’d settle for having the right players in some order on the field, before worrying about how they drift into each other’s positions.

Honestly having thought more about it I’m not sure how comfortable I am about having Dier, Alli, and Walker on the pitch simultaneously.

I feel like the disaster of a game against Chelsea and Alli’s sending-off showed that those three in particular can be riled up and rattled. They have passion, sure - but I feel like each and everyone one of them is liable to pull something really fucking stupid in a high-stakes elimination game and get sent off in Beckhamesque fashion.

I’m never really particularly worried that guys like Milner, Kane, or Sterling are going to get sent off - but lads like Alli, Walker, Dier, and Vardy are all guys I could see taking a swing at a man and getting the red. I feel like that’s a fair few too many players in one team that could be considered a high risk for red cards.

So as a Dutchman times are kind of frustrating right now. Since failing to qualify we have shown we should have been able to qualify. We lost to a superior France and drew in Ireland, but otherwise we beat England, Wales, Poland and Austria… all away from home, and all of these countries are playing at euro 2016.

Don’t get me wrong. We didn’t deserve to qualify and wouldn’t have gone that far anyway with our current team, but the upcoming month is going to be brutal… seeing all these “second tier” teams enjoying themselves. I think I’m going to support Albania or Romania, o some such…

How did Holland do against Iceland again? :wink:

Thats the reason they are staying home.

Tournament due to kick-off in just over an hour. I am predicting football, with a chance of goals.

Opening ceremony just beginning. I despise all this poncy stuff. We need to get back to basics; a marching band and a brief appearance of Pan’s People.

Romania look fairly tight and good going forward, France look a bit suspect in their back line, but their immense talent going forward is starting to tell.

Glad France got a second, the Romanian penalty was incredibly soft, even if the Swedish commentators seemed utterly convinced it was the correct decision.

Yep, Romania were worthy opponents for France, but Les Bleus definitely deserved that one. Sometimes the difference between a draw and a win is a supreme moment of skill by a player like Payet at the right moment.

Very brief - the youngest is about 60

Watching Albania-Switzerland at the moment, only a few minutes in looking to be a good game and a fantastic atmosphere.

BTW, if you have the Watch ESPN app or have Apple TV, ESPN is showing alternate feeds of the games, including feeds with no commentary.

English fans have started causing trouble; after nearly 2 decades, at international tourneys,