Umbrella Academy Season 3 [Open spoilers after July 1st]

Not that we’ve been told. I don’t know if it was explicitly said, but I think the implication is that when he disappeared, they were all still going by numbers. They didn’t get names until later.

I’m not really into the plot of the show, but the characters are a ton of fun. I care what happens to them, don’t really care how it unfolds.

The un-spoilered reviews I’ve read suggest ep1 is fun, the next couple of episodes are a little slow and it starts to get going properly ep4 onwards. Hopefully we won’t be disappointed (I’m only on ep3 myself).

OB

True but damn, the series preview has Reginald announcing he has adopted six children. But seven it is in the house and stated as “got” in S1E1.

Mistake or significant?

I’m only a few eps in, but could it be because one of the Sparrows isn’t strictly speaking a child (or human :person_shrugging:)?

OB

No. It’s the intro teaser to the series introducing the Umbrellas.

That scene is from when he introduces the Umbrella Academy to the world. He excludes Victor because he doesn’t have powers.

That makes sense. Thanks.

I haven’t quite finished the series (up to episode 7, so please no spoilers for anything later), but one thing’s been bugging me: why are the steering wheels of many (I think not all) of the cars we’ve seen on the right side, rather than on the left, as you’d expect for the US? Is there any significance to that?

This is what I was going to note—although he did get 7 both times. Now subtracting the 6 original umbrellas that would give you 37. So something happened to 11 others that wasn’t addressed.

I noticed that too. I assumed that Reginald’s car was a British import but it wasn’t the only one, right?

At some point will spoilers be permitted here? I’d like to be able to discuss details.

I’ll say one thing—somehow the music choices just didn’t seem tot be as amazingly perfect as the first two seasons.

Except Footloose.

:wink:

I liked the scene but not the music. It seemed too easy. In prior seasons the musical choices were surprising and delightful. This one was “oh, of course.”

So we just yesterday finished the season, and I have a few questions…

Spoilers ahead!

Are we supposed to believe something’s up with Allison, or was she just being a general asshole? At first, I thought it was to do with her failed attempt at self-rumoring, perhaps she’d secretly realized she could do it within limits, and had at various points rumored herself differently—first being callous to Viktor, then apologizing as she noticed she’d gone too far, you know, basically keeping overcorrecting. But if so, it wasn’t yet revealed.

On the whole, I just found her behavior unbelievably inconsistent (my wife at some point even speculated that there might be two of her around). Sure, she’s suffered great loss, but really, none of them exactly led a charmed life. Viktor left his love and her child he clearly cared for in the past, and Allison just kills the adult version of him in cold blood, without so much as a second thought or showing any shred of remorse. Luther was isolated for years on the moon, and Allison essentially tries to rape him; Five was stranded in the apocalypse without any human contact, Klaus spent most of his childhood locked in the dark with ghosts, apparently being killed multiple times… And so on.

Also, what’s up with the alteration to her powers? Seems she got rid of the need to say ‘I heard a rumor…’, somehow through interaction with Harlan’s powers? Does that somehow play a role? Because if that’s the only change there, it seems a bit too minor to bother with…

And I’m not exactly sure about Reginald’s story. I remember that at some point, we saw him at what seemed to be the end of his world, together with a woman—I presume the same one Luther didn’t know he was guarding on the moon, and that we saw at the end standing with him at the window? Do we know anything more (from the series, that is) about his story? Seems that, at some point, his world ended—I seem to recall some sort of energy/‘souls’ leaving that place (?)—; then, he came to America in the 19th (?) century, eventually founding what would become his financial empire; in the sixties, he was affiliated with Majestic, whose members he killed after the Kennedy thing, where he also first revealed his alien form. I feel like I’m forgetting something?

Quick survey on allowing spoilers in this thread?
Title will be changed to reflect the majority opinion.

• Allow Open spoilers after July 1st to allow viewers some time to watch.
  • Allow Open Spoilers now
  • Companion thread with Open Spoilers

0 voters

July 1st is a little arbitrary, but a week should be enough for Netflix full season dumps. If you plan to take longer to watch it, (like me), you’ll need to avoid the thread with spoilers.

Open Spoilers now is fine, it will be clearly marked in the title.

We can open a second thread that says [OPEN SPOILERS] in the title for the 3rd season.

I voted Open Spoilers Now, and I haven’t even started watching yet.
I think 2 threads for it is unnecessary, I mean, now that the show is actually out, speculation like we had before the season is going to be woefully redundant so keeping this thread just for that seems silly to me.
This is the reality of streaming shows, I think too conservative a spoiler policy is actually bad for threads like this.

Plus, science says that spoilers are good for you.

Regarding Reginald:

It seems that his whole plan was always about bringing his wife back. We saw him releasing the energy/souls/“Marigold” from his planet. That apparently triggered the birth of the 43 kids and giving them their powers. So he arrived on Earth at some point in the past, built the hotel, and waited for the kids to be born. When they were he got 7 because that’s how many are needed to power the machine. But in the original timeline, one disappears and one dies. In the new timeline, the kids takeover.

I’ll give this one more hour, but I think we have a pretty clear trend.

Updated and I have to leave this thread as I’m am watching the series.

Strangely, given some of the other cars, Reginald’s Rolls Royce had the steering on the left.