Unexpectedly good photographs

[QUOTE=Cervaise]
Heh.

“I will destroy you.”
[/QUOTE]

Heh-heh. She hasn’t changed much. She’s something of a terrorist.

[QUOTE=Eleusis]
(looks like a charlie sheen wannabe…:wink: sorry just kidding bn)
[/QUOTE]
I think you have that backwards. I’ve never pretended to be an actor. Charlie sheen has, on several occassions, pretended to be a soldier. =)

[QUOTE=annanate]
Ok…hope it works.


[/QUOTE]

It worked great, and that’s a great shot!

I really lucked out with this shot of a fire-dancer in Fiji. It was a long exposure (something like 1/20sec) and hand-held, and he kept his head perfectly still while his arms were moving like hell. And the fire itself neatly filled the frame. I have this pic blown up on my wall. It looks a lot better on a black background, btw.

In fact looking at scr4’s Hawaii shot, it could almost be the same place!

[QUOTE=elfkin477]
Welcome :smiley: Your photo reminds me of one I took during the winter. It wasn’t unexpectedly good, just sort of unexpected. I call it “Vynce Harried by Demons.”

The “demons” are the lights on the railing in the wrong spot. How do you double expose a digital picture? I wasn’t trying to…
[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the triple post, but if you really want to know why that happened, it’s because the camera used a slow-sync flash. It opens the shutter for a long exposure to get background detail, then fires the flash to illuminate the subject at the end (or beginning) of the exposure. You moved the camera during the slow exposure part, so the lights on the railing left trails.

Hope that doesn’t take away from the mystery of what is a very cool pic :cool:

I enjoy this thread so much. Thanks, everyone, for posting all your pictures.

Architect Chore, thanks especially to you for reminding me of the horror that was the ice storm of '03! I’m still having flashbacks. :wink:

[QUOTE=Thalion]

I was really surprised how the lighting came out just right and showed this little lady’s face so well: Come into my parlour . . .
[/QUOTE]

That is brilliant!

Beautiful spider pic, but excuse me for a moment while I run around my house screaming.

This one reminded me of how much I like being a photographer, after I hadn’t done it for years.
Shot from a moving car, I think these storm clouds in Oklahoma turned out pretty good.
Finally some of my photos of The Gates. Although I’m not suprised that they are good.

Traditional

Yes, those are The Gates, some assembly required
The part of The Gates you weren’t supposed to look at

I have a few on our travel blog from our trip this summer. We were using Mrs. Dewgrrl’s digital camera, and I can’t remember the make/model. Sorry.

Mine:

Driftwood Moon - On my monitor here at work it seems a bit dark, and the distinction between the blue/indigo/violet aren’t as noticible, but on our Mac at home it looks spectacular.

Sunrise over Lake MCdonald, Glacier National Park - It really is difficult not to take a great picture at Glacier. I squeezed off 85 shots in 45 minutes at sunrise the last morning we were there. This also looks rather dark on my work machine, but my favorite shots from that morning all include the log, the reflection of the sky on the water with the bottom of the lake still visible through it, and that gorgeous Glacier horizon.

Mrs. Dewgrrl’s:

Moving Mist - She got this one on a morning hike in Arkansas. The mist was snaking along the surface, moving quite rapidly, and I really like the sense of motion that the picture was able to capture.

Lone Trekker - A shot of me that she took on our backpacking trip. It wasn’t originally taken in Black and White, but she futzed with it and added the border with iPhoto.

Once my aunt and uncle were visiting. There instamatic was on the coffee table. No one was in the living room. So I pushed a button.

Months later, visiting them, they showed slides of their trip and the picture came up. It was of the corner of the ceiling. They said they had no idea what this was.

Never told anyone.

[QUOTE=Robot Arm]
I was at the Museum of Flight in Seattle and took this picture looking in through the windows. I love the silhouettes and the light coming through the gap at the rudder hinge. And looking again I can see the reflection of the airport behind be, including an old Junkers that was at the museum, and even my own reflection.
.
[/QUOTE]

All good pictures, but I must say, your domain name ROCKS!

[QUOTE=Bear_Nenno]
I think you have that backwards. I’ve never pretended to be an actor. Charlie sheen has, on several occassions, pretended to be a soldier. =)
[/QUOTE]

Zing! :smiley:

Colophon and src4, check out my favourite fire dancer pic. There’s more either side of that, but I think that one worked way better than most.

this photo was taken during an extreme rainstorm. I took the camera out to get pictures of the clouds and stuff, but this photo of my daughter, taken on a whim, turned out to be my favorite.

[QUOTE=MrFantsyPants]
this photo was taken during an extreme rainstorm. I took the camera out to get pictures of the clouds and stuff, but this photo of my daughter, taken on a whim, turned out to be my favorite.
[/QUOTE]

My favourite on that page is this one. Did you arrange the stones like that or were they already there?

[QUOTE=Colophon]
My favourite on that page is this one. Did you arrange the stones like that or were they already there?
[/QUOTE]

We found them like that, so sadly, my contribution to the photo comes down to pressing the button.

[QUOTE=MrFantsyPants]
We found them like that, so sadly, my contribution to the photo comes down to pressing the button.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the coolosity factor is through the roof!

This is probably my favorite picture I’ve ever taken, and it was just a quick shot with a phone camera. I love the way Tenshi (the Singapura) looks so protective, and little Meep (the Russian Blue, who’d just recently been diagnosed with lymphoma) looks so comfortable, like she can afford to let her guard down because her “big brother” is looking out for her.

Meep’s gone now, and that picture always brings out bittersweet emotions in me.