Unfortunate Company Names

My GF used to work there.

“I work for Cox.”

“You can have mine for free.”

When I heard about Canadian cable company “Rogers Communications”, I thought that if their service was on a level with cable companies in the USA, people would joke that “Rogers Communications” wasn’t a name but a mission statement.

Yeah, you really have to say it out loud to get the whole impact. There’s a television commercial with a child about 8 or 10 talking about how her mattress was sofa king low. It’s creepy, and hilarious. I’ve never found the commercial from TV on the net, but there’s lots of knockoffs/gag ads. I thought it was a hoax at first, honestly. But here’s a picture of one of our buses. It’s just a picture of an ad on the side of a bus, and completely SFW. Sofa King Bus Ad

Lubbock, TX has a law firm named Crook & Jordan and an insurance agency named All Write Insurance. The insurance firm’s sign is in cursive handwriting that always looked to me like “All White” Insurance.

I need their T-shirt! With an empty plastic pocket insert so I can change out what ever is sofaking weird, sofaking awesome, sofaking hot today, sofaking rainy, my head aches sofaking bad. :smiley:

In England I saw the businesses “Bland Travel” and “Lilywhite Sportswear.”

There’s this Chinese restaurant here in Portland…

There’s a noodle place in, I think, Arcadia, on Huntington drive called “Young Dong”. But chinese is just top easy. You could write a book with chinese business names that sound funny in English. I used to work for Bell+Howell. Everyone called it Hell+Bowel.

U.S 19 at State road 52?

Hi Beth Ann , Love you babe!

I always thought Custer Battles was a pretty horrible name for a military contractor. “Sure, we’ll sell you some battles! Just like Custer’s!”

Not surprising that they seem to be out of business.

In my neck of the woods, BJ’s and Dick’s are next door to each other.

There used to be a car wash on Newport Blvd called “The Hand Job.”

:cool:

Ahhhh, Cox Communications… the most aptly-named cable company ever…

Subliminal advertizing for The Gay Agenda®: Not happy with your current provider? Switch to Cox!

I thought the name always conveyed a sense of cheapness - like they’re kid’s plastic tools that snap on to something. Is there another angle?

Angel of Doubt, I think there’s also the “strap-on” rhyme to consider.

There is a place near my home called Po King Seafood. For me, this conjures up an image of someone suspiciously pushing fish around on their plate. Which makes all kinds of sense, actually.

Not far away from there, you’ll find Kumho Tires. “I’ll bet she does, I’ll bet she does - say no more!

Featured in the current b3ta newsletter: Hooker Cockram.

There’s a Web site that can be used to look up an actor’s agent or manager: www.whorepresents.com. I’m not sure it’s unfortunate, though. I’ve only used it a couple of times but I never forget the name.

There’s a publicly traded oilfield servicing firm with a branch in Hobbs, New Mexico that’s called B. J. Services.

“Snap-On Tools,” unfortunately, makes me think of the terrible novelty song “Detachable Penis” from 1992. Ridgid Tools, however, has proven to be a fortunate name. The so-called “Rigid Tool Calendar” is famous. (Interestingly, or not, the corporate name is actually “Ridge Tool Company,” and although they do use the mark “RIDGID” they don’t actually use the words “Ridgid Tools” together, although that’s how they are popularly known. They do, however, maintain a Web site at www.ridgidparts.com.)