'Unfrosted' trailer drops. Anybody gonna watch the movie?

I’m skeptical of whether this movie will be a waste of an hour and a half or so of my time or not, since ‘The Bee Movie’ was awful. It made me decide that Larry David was clearly 99% of the comedic and creative drive behind Seinfeld.

And now, after watching the trailer, I’m…still skeptical? I mean, it’s going to be on Netflix May 3, so it’s pretty much a certainty that Mrs. solost and I will get around to watching it at some point from sheer inertia, if no other reason.

A few observations about the trailer:

It looks pretty. Taking place in 1963, the sets and clothing are a sort of elevated, brighter, almost cartoony version of the look and general aesthetic of the early 60s.

Holy bejeebers, is it star-packed. Well, at least plenty of actors and comedians you will recognize. Seinfeld certainly got the call out, and convinced plenty of Hollywood to come out and play.

Did I laugh during the trailer? Not once. There were two parts where I…I won’t say I almost laughed, but I thought to myself “decent joke”. The first was a sight gag: the CEO of Quaker Oats was an actual Quaker, in full Quaker Oats logo beard and costume. The second was when Seinfeld and some other Kellogg’s execs were meeting with President Kennedy for some reason, and Melissa McCarthy’s character showed Kennedy a proposed drawing of a Pop-Tart. Kennedy says “that’s worse than my son John-John’s drawings, and I seriously think there’s something wrong with him”. I don’t know, the line reading in the Kennedy Boston brogue was amusing to me.

“Crudely drawn picture of the new invention” gag, “list of obviously terrible names for the new invention” gag….how much of this film isn’t ripped off from The Huducker Proxy?

Good observation…I haven’t seen THP for a long time, so I didn’t make the connection.

From “Variety”:

My gut tells me, looking at this cast list, that this is going to be a mess.

Maybe I’m wrong.

mmm

I have a feeling that this movie will compare to a good, funny comedy the way a Pop-Tart compares to a home-made freshly baked fruit pie.

I’m down for most media that doesn’t take itself seriously, and this looks like it fits the bill. So I’m in.