Unique local/regional names for common things

Boat shoes suggest “leather” to me.

In the midwest, we called the canvas variety deck shoes:

But definitions are muddy.
https://www.samuel-windsor.com/mens-shoes/boat-shoes/classic-boat-shoe-navybrown/BV324

Since the post was about using them for athletics, I’d go with deck shoes.

This is more of a concept than a thing, but in central Ohio, inserting yourself into a line in front of others who were there first is called “ditching” (rather than, or at least alongside, “cutting”). I didn’t know this was apparently a weird local term until recently. And based on the few discussions of the term I can find online, there may also be a generational divide, with older people calling it “dishing,” but I’ve never heard anyone say that.

At the University of Rochester in the early 70’s, a tuna salad and melted cheese sandwich was a “Howie’s Special.” I don’t think I ever found out who Howie was, and I don’t think I’ve run into the term since; but I occasionally make one, and always think of it as a Howie’s Special when I do.

A “mickey” is a drink with a knockout or otherwise incapacitating drug added. I would think asking a liquor store to sell you a mickey might get you worse reactions than a “huh”; though I also think it’s an old term and might not be recognized.

Sneakers is what I grew up with (northeast USA). There seem to be a batch of various terms now; though I’ve never heard either plimsolls or daps or sandshoes. Thanks for the vocabulary!

I think they’d probably just sell you a Mickey, it’s a beer that’s been around for as long as I can remember. If you asked for ‘a mickey’, they’d probably assume you want a 40.

Except that @Spoons said the reaction they were getting was “huh?”; which implies that the particular brand of beer isn’t common in the area in which the question was asked.

I’m not up on beer brands, so I don’t know whether that one’s common here – I don’t remember having seen it, but it might be around and I might not have noticed.

How do drive through wine purchases work? In my experience, wine buying involves looking at various bottles, thinking about the menu and reading the little card describing the wine and its Wine Spectator rating before ultimately choosing a bottle based on the artwork on the label.

When I was growing up , we would have called them sneakers generically ( although we would have called them Keds or Converse if we weren’t being generic). But back then, I don’t remember non-canvas sneakers being popular for general wear - so sneakers would have always meant the canvas type.

It does for you - but I could drive through and just ask for for my preferred brand of prosecco or moscato. I suspect the drive-through places get more customers like me than like you.

As true as that is (my store sells wine and beer), there’s also just as many people that know exactly what they’re looking for. Especially those that drink a bit…more. My customers that are in 2 or 3 times a month for a case of wine, and always the same one, wouldn’t have a problem with a drive through. In fact, just a few days ago, one of them did just that. He didn’t want to come inside because his wife had a (ultimately false) positive covid test and didn’t want to put us at risk, he called, gave me his credit card number and I ran it out to his car.
Same with beer. We sell a good bit of craft beer, but we still have people who come in every week for the same one.

As for the rest, nowadays, you can do the research online and the store’s website may even have a list of what they (typically) have in stock or their facebook page might post new arrivals.

25 years ago, back when I was in college, I’m guessing the people using the drive through liquor store were looking for things more along the lines of box wine (ie Franzia) or wine coolers or domestic beers. The ones that wanted to read the labels and pick out a nice $20 bottle, could go to a regular liquor store.

Should have Wiki’d first!

‘Pumps’ of course, ‘sneakers’ for sure. ‘Galoshes’ in Liverpool?

Well, this was West Texas, not Manhattan or Paris. You just pull up, and when the guy comes out you say, “Gimme a bottle of Thunderbird,” or whatever rotgut you have in mind. It was mostly beer purchases from my experience. And again, it was not purely drive-through, you could park and go inside if you needed to.

The fourth would be rotating; The Ole, The Lex, The Windham, The Sid.

If they were going to name something in Ithaca after a wrestler, it would have to be named after Ithaca College grad Gorilla Monsoon.

Not everywhere: https://www.shoecarnival.com/womens/pumps_and_heels/pumps/

I’m not sure if this is a common Wisconsin thing or just something unique to my relatives, but I remember visiting cousins in Wisconsin as a kid, and they called the midday meal “dinner” and the evening meal “supper”.

Normal here among older farm people who ordinarily ate the largest meal of the day in the middle of the day; but becoming increasingly less common. It’s a pattern of meals which works well when nearly everyone works at home, but not when most families have someone working away from home during the day.

I grew up in Tennessee; supper was what we called the evening meal. Normally the midday meal was lunch, but if it were the big meal of the day (Sunday or a holiday), it was dinner.

When I was a kid in California jimmies were exclusively chocolate sprinkles. All other sprinkles were sprinkles.

On edit: Dang, I should have read down two more posts!

+1. Supper might be a few dishes but dinner has more and they’re fancier.

Makes me think of 1920s novels where they go dancing, but take a break at midnight for a light supper. Sounds very “vintage” to me.