Unique local/regional names for common things

I know Wikipedia includes sneakers as the US term, but they don’t seem like what I’d guess most people in the US would call sneakers. They’re far too flimsy and have very little support, and while they very occasionally have velcro closings, they never have laces. And Chucks, Keds, etc, are brand names for shoes that are also really quite different to plimsolls. Sneakers is probably the closest word there is because perhaps they just aren’t common enough in the US to have their own name.

I think you’d probably have to see a pair in real life to appreciate how different they are from sneakers and Chucks.

Bathers is UK, but it’s extremely old-fashioned - well, unless it’s used in some regions and I’m not aware of it; it’s not widespread English any more. Cozzie is common here too, though swimming costume is used more IME.

As a kid my NZ cousins came to visit and I was confused by their use of “togs,” because here that just means “clothes.”

Thought of another culinary one - there’s a simple sponge cake with icing on top that, in the South-East at least, is called Tottenham cake.

I think a lot of people think of it as “school dinner cake” because that’s where most people encountered it, often with the thin pink custard that exists nowhere else but in school canteens.

I’m guessing these are the closest things in the US to plimsolls

but I don’t have any word for them other than “Skechers”

My maternal grandparents, who lived in Port Washington, WI (but had also lived up in the woods of northern Wisconsin, where my grandfather was a lumberjack, when they were younger) did so, too, and I thought it was strange, when I was a kid. But, as @thorny_locust notes, I’ve since learned that it seems to be more of a farm/agricultural usage.

Closer, yeah. But there’s no back and no arch support. They’re a really specific item of footwear, so I think any term is going to be close, but not quite right.

It’s “jimmies” in Pittsburgh.

Another one that occurred to me today - back in the early 2000s, Dairy Queen here in the PNW had an item on the menu called a “California burger”. Beeing a SoCal native, I would’ve expected something called a California burger to have guacamole or pepper jack on it, but instead it was just a regular burger with lettuce, tomato, and onion added.

I never quite saw how that made it California style, since you can get a burger like that at just about any burger place in the country.

Nope: plimsolls have laces
And they don’t cost 80 dollars!

Here are some high-end branded plimsolls:

But ‘proper’ plimsolls are white all over (or maybe black though those weren’t allowed at my school).

When I was 12 or so I was moved by a short story (could have been Paul Gallico, but I think it was an otherwise science fiction writer, as I was into SF) about the joy of a boy my age putting on sneakers for the first time at the start of summer. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

I think it’s Ray Bradbury. – this one?

That’s the one!
Thanks a million!
Now I can be moved all over again.

What a swell party this is!

Thank you, I don’t recall ever reading that one before.

For a while Carl’s Jr. had a burger on their menu called the “California Classic”. It was pretty much a blatant copy of In-N-Out’s Double Double.

No they don’t! And I’m not sure how those trainers can be called plimsolls. Unless, given the thread, in your area plimsoll is used to mean any kind of trainer/sneaker type footwear?

I’m familiar with the lettuce-tomato-onion being called a “California burger” as well, and I’m in Chicago. It’s not current nomenclature (which would, as you say, usually mean avocado on a burger or something of that nature), but I think there was a time California was strongly associated with fresh produce. (I guess it still is, but even moreso.) I know I’ve brought this up on the Dope before.

ETA: I could have sworn it was on this board, but I can’t find it. I checked another board and came up empty, except for a poster saying that growing up in Milwaukee, they called a burger with lettuce, tomato, and mayo or special sauce a “California Burger.”

ETA2: Here’s a thread from '04 where @chique reports a California Burger in central Minnessota being a burger with lettuce and tomato. It may well be an Upper Midwest/Great Lakes thing (oops, but you say you saw it in the PNW, so I guess it’s farther afield than that. I don’t think it’s particularly common anymore to refer to that as such):

You’re standing at the corner of two ice-covered streets. A car comes by, and slides to a stop. You run up, grab the rear bumper, squat, and as the car pulls away, you slide along the street on your boots.

What do you call this? In much of the US, it’s bumper skiing or skitching. In the part of Buffalo where I grew up, it’s called pogeying. As in “Let’s pogey off that big 'ol Chrysler!”

It was called bumper hitching in Utah.

I have never ever heard of such a thing. Closest I’ve seen is in older movies where kids will hang onto a moving car on their bike or skateboard, but never associated any name with the behavior.

It was skeetching when I was a kid. The sliding on snow, I mean.

No, no, no. American here, and I deal with a lot of liquor stores, supermarkets that carry booze, and am in a couple of groups of whisky drinkers. And I spend time in different types of bars.

I have never heard anyone call 12.6 ounces a pint. That’s stupid. A pint is 16 oz., and if your bar offers a 12 oz. pour of some spirit, it’s labeled as: “12 oz. Pour”.

I checked a local liquor store. Sizes on shelves are labeled 1 liter, 750 ml, and 375 ml.

200 ml and 50 ml bottles are up near the register, and labeled as such.

Maybe you have mickeys and forty-pounders (1.14 liters, really? Ok…) in Canada, but this Amurrican (who’s been drinking for six decades now) only sees exact sizes listed.

I’m so proud to be more modern and metric than Canada in at least one area!

A 375 bottle of whiskey is colloquially known as a “pint,” at least around here (Chicago). A 200 is a “half pint.” A 750 is a “fifth.” And a 1.75 is a “handle.” They are not labeled as such – that’s just what pretty much any seasoned drinker who buys those sizes calls 'em. Trust me, I’ve bought plenty of pints and half pints in my day to keep around for a nip here and there.