Unique local/regional names for common things

I concur (as does Wiki)

and if you order a glass of beer at the bar youll get 12oz. If you want 16oz you have to ask for a pint.

And I’ve only been served full pint glasses. Wow, I’ll have to admit that not only do regions have very different terms and rules, but it’s even city-by-city.

That one – that one is rarer, in my experience. Most bars I go to will give you a 16 oz pour by default. The old school ones, though, they might have a 12 oz pour. Oh, and you’ll also see 12 oz pours with certain types of beers (typically high alcohol ones) where they might be served in a 12 oz snifter. But for your regular <7% abvs, I’m used to seeing pint glass by default. For the nicer beer bars, it will be noted how many oz in a pour and often what type of glassware it is served in.

Oh, and back to alcohol bottle sizes, found this handy chart, which includes some terms I actually am unfamiliar with:

Got me for California. Born in NYC and moved to Missouri at the age of 21. Now 75 and still here.

Great story. Thanks for the link.

I misremembered. We actually called it hooky-bobbing.

O.k. Custard is another UK vs. USA difference. When I refer to custard, I mean that set egg custard, like flan. In the UK, custard is like some weird creamy sauce??? Years ago, I was watching a very good low key spy movie called The Blade on the Feather. John Gielgud was in the British Secret Service, but was now retired and going ga ga. He was actually a double agent for the Soviet Union, who were afraid, in his ga ga-ness, he’d spill some beans. Tom Conti was sent in (by the Soviets) to deal with the situation. Again, excellent movie, but not what most people would think of when they hear “spy movie.”

Anyway, Gielgud’s character loved “custard.” But it was something in a pitcher (jug?) that was poured all over whatever they were eating for dessert. It looked disgusting, but was probably tasty. He was being mocked for loving it so much – because it seemed to be thought of a childish taste.

I’ve got a lot of family in Michigan and, when visiting as a kid, I was always disappointed I couldn’t join the uncles when they went to the party store. Turns out, that’s the local term for a liquor store.

I’d call a 1.75l bottle a handle but you sometimes hear ‘half gallon.’

I’ve seen that but more commonly is a bottle or can served along side a smaller chilled glass, 6 or 8 ounces, I guess. The patron pours a few sips into the glass at a time.

Yes, it’s a thick, sweet, sauce, massage of egg yolks, sugar and flour. It’s one of the best things ever. You have it gravy-type quantities over cake, sticky toffee pudding, etc.

And funnily enough comparing your set egg custard to “flan” doesn’t actually give much of a guide, because flan is also something different in the UK. :grin: There are too many US-UK false friends when it comes to food.

I want to say that if you get the house beer (was Berghoff at some point) at Billy Goat (at least the one on lower Michigan & Hubbard), that comes in a smaller, 12 oz glass. It’s been a couple years since I’ve been there, though. Also, a pizza place I go to all the time on the South Side, Vito & Nicks, pours taps in 12 oz. glasses. I know I’ve been to some others, but it’s exceptional rather than the rule.

US/Mexican “flan” would be comparable to something like creme brulee (without the brulee) or creme caramel. As an American, growing up, custard could be a range of things to me. It could be something completely set like the above, but, more often,I always thought of it as an eggy pudding – which I know means something else to y’all. So something more semi-set than fully set.

Oh, creme anglaise! Right? I’ve had that, and, yes, it’s yummy.

Reading the custard reference just jogged my memory.

The term ‘Pudding’ as a food.

In the US I’ve always known it as a sweet dessert similar in consistency to semi-melted gelato, and eaten with a spoon, and is completely different from the forms of pudding eaten in the British isles.

Some years ago, as one of the guests at a dinner party of a friend of a friend there was served pudding ( and much vaunted by said friend of friend ) made by the wife of friend of friend. In appearance, texture, and taste it was basically dense bread. To my judgement anyway.

“Custard” can mean a lot of different things in the US. It can mean a custard sauce like crème anglaise, it can mean a pastry filling like crème pâtissière or it can mean a pudding -(US) like dessert or pie filling. Typically, when “custard” is used alone the meaning is clear from context - if I say a chocolate eclair is filled with custard , no one will think it’s filled with crème anglaise and if I say “floating islands” is meringue floating on custard, it’s going to be clear that it’s floating in the custard sauce, not the pastry filling.

“School canteens,” eh? Is that the same thing as what I’d call a cafeteria (or lunchroom)? I’ve only ever used the word “canteen” to refer to something to carry water in.
https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-290-Canteen-4-Quart/dp/B00069PFCS/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=canteen&qid=1627071874&sr=8-4

What about the Hollywood Canteen?

It was used in the US, but it’s essentially obsolete now.

That would be bread pudding, so that description would fit. The term pudding does cover a huge variety of food in England, not always with an obvious reason why it’s called a pudding. One thing it doesn’t cover is US-style pudding.

And it’s not the same as bread-and-butter pudding, although that is also made with bread. They end up being quite different foodstuffs, and the latter is often eaten with custard, whereas bread pudding is usually eaten cold and in your hand.

@Thudlow_Boink - yes, a cafeteria. School ones are sometimes called canteens, sometimes cafeterias, sometimes refectories (though that’s more for uni), sometimes lunch hall or dinner hall, especially at primary school (elementary school). It varies according to age and location. Workplace cafeterias are often called canteens.

In England, sprinkles are called “hundreds and thousands” and superfine sugar is/was called “caster’s sugar.”

Don’t know if this varies by region, but those little edible silver ball cake decorations are called dragees (there should be an accent over the second e) and pronounced drazh-AY; however, in New England this was sometimes pronounced “draggies.” Although, technically speaking, candy-coated almonds are also dragees, everyone I knew in the northeastern US calls them “Jordan almonds.”

In Massachusetts, a milkshake of any flavor is/was a frappe’ (using an apostrophe as an accent, but often pronounced “frap” as well as “frap-AY”); but a coffee shake is/was a “cabinet” (in Rhode Island as well).

In Philadelphia, a hot hero is/was called a “stove hoagie” (when the entire sandwich is/was actually put inside an oven, as opposed to melting the cheese with other ingredients on a grill, as with a cheesesteak).

Same names with different regional pronunciations: in NYC, a Greek gyros (YEE-rohs) sandwich is pronounced “JY-roh”; the cold cut capicola is pronounced “gop-ah-GOOL”; and the crushed sesame candy halvah is pronounced hal-a-VAR.

In Tucson, Arizona: green beans are sometimes called “pole beans,” and paprika and vinaigrette are sometimes pronounced “pap-uh-REEK-uh” and “vin-uh-gar-ETTE.” These extra-syllabic pronunciations apparently do not extend up into Phoenix, AZ (according to my personal observations). Also in Tucson: service roads of highways are called “frontage roads.”

What? No it’s not. I’ve never heard that. I’ve lived my entire life on Long Island and in NYC and it has always only been “Hal-vah” exactly as it’s spelled with each syllable stressed the same.