Unique local/regional names for common things

I’m in Tucson. I’ve never heard your pronunciations. Frontage road is correct - that’s what I called them in Madison, WI, too.

In upstate New York, they refer to hamburgers as “steamed hams.”

No, not in Utica. It’s an Albany expression.

In Hawaii we have potagee (portuguese) sausage that from what I understand is not really linguiça. Filipino beans, which are foot long string beans.

And buluk (boo look), pomelo, which is like a giant grapefruit. I always thought it was the proper Cantonese name, but when I a took Cantonese class, the instructor it’s meaningless in Cantonese.

A quick search brought up that in a certain part of Malaysia, there’s a similar term, though I don’t know how it might have come to Hawaii.

Hi,

I’m from Malaysia. In my area we pronounce the pomelo as “bo1 luk4”. Or sometimes it is called “lo1 yau2”, literally means buttock.

Hope it is of some help to you.

http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/phorum/read.php?12,88970,89608

Here’s the thing: not everyone in NYC pronounces it hal-a-VAR. But when people pronounce it that way, I have found that they are either from the NYC vicinity/Tri-State Area…or Florida.

Same thing with the extra syllables in vinaigrette and paprika in Tucson (I know some Tucsonans who do not pronounce those words that way…but when people do, they’re from Tucson.)

See my reply to Eyebrows_0f_Doom, above.

And then there’s certain contexts in which pudding refers to a type of sausage - black pudding (hog’s blood sausage) and haggis (lamb organ meat sausage) to name two.

Oh, that upstate.

Explains why I’ve never heard that one –

Right — this is the original meaning (from French “boudin”).

Caster sugar. Because it is shaken out of a caster. It doesn’t belong to Caster. This is still the term used in the UK.

Wisconsin custard is a soft ice cream made with egg yolks. Quite popular in these parts.
Wisconsin Custard

My mistake. I was conflating that with confectioner’s sugar:

…which, by the way, does not belong to someone named Confectioner, but is typically used by a confectioner (on this side of the pond, at least). More commonly known as confectioners’ sugar.
Interestingly, Baker’s Chocolate, while often used by bakers, is a brand of chocolate named for an actual Dr. James Baker…and later, a Mr. Walter Baker.

Related to that, German chocolate cake is named for a guy named German.

In Greece, Turkish coffee is called “Greek coffee,” due to political tensions with Turkey. It’s exactly the same thing, but heaven forbid you should ask for Turkish coffee in a Greek cafe. They’d probably kick you out.

Frozen custard has long been a thing, separate from ice cream, ice milk and gelato. In the 60’s, my favorite was orange custard which I haven’t seen for decades.

https://www.southernliving.com/desserts/ice-cream/custard-vs-ice-cream

I don’t know of anyone who would confuse frozen custard, custard pie and custard cream. Chinese egg tart and steamed egg dishes have a custard pie consistency, but are savory and you’d be scolded if you referred to them as custard.

Edit: It’s always a bit disturbing to order an egg tart when you’re having dim sum and expecting it to be sweet, but it’s not, even when you know what it is.

Yes, thanks for reminding me, I keep forgetting that (I keep thinking it’s from Germany)!

It’s not even the cake that is “German,” but the brand of chocolate used for making the cake, which is “German’s Sweet Chocolate.” Apparently, the cake recipe came 105 years after the creation of that brand of chocolate.

Adding to the confusion, German’s is a sub-brand of Baker’s, so the full name of the cake is “Baker’s German’s Chocolate Cake.”

Damn, now I really want that cake!

Then you haven’t seen out of state visitors to Wisconsin get very confused at WI custard stands. Statements like “This is ice cream, not custard!” and “don’t they have custard pastries?” are oft overheard.

Technically the ice cream is called Frozen Custard, though no one says that (I think it’s on signs and menus, though).

Speaking of Wisconsin, The University of Wisconsin makes their own, and has a great Orange Custard Chocolate Chip. @Didi44! The higher fat content makes it really creamy.

Man, is it any wonder Wisconsin has a weight problem? Bratwurst, beer, cheese, more beer, and custard stands everywhere?

I took my then-small kids to a water park in the Wisconsin Dells: “Wow, dad. You should hang out here more.” “Huh?” “Here you look pretty slim!”

Isn’t what’s being described as Wisconsin custard just French-style ice cream, as opposed to Philadelphia style?

That quiz answered that I’m from New Hampshire. Never been there, but was in New York for 2 weeks 40 years ago. I live in Colorado.

It wasn’t until the 80’s when I tried making my own ice cream that I learned the difference between frozen custard and ice cream. I would ask for orange custard ice cream and wondered why everyone didn’t carry it. I also wondered why mixing orange sherbert and vanilla ice cream wasn’t the same.

I haven’t seen or tasted :flushed:orange custard since the 70’s. A local ice cream store has lemon custard sometimes, but it’s not the same. Getting off topice. We also have Goody-Goody / Guri-Guri which is a cross between shave ice, sherbert and ice cream. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasaka_Guri-Guri which I believe is unique to Hawaii.

I’ve never had Tasaka Guri Guri, but my sister used to work at Goody-Goody on Oahu and I’d go with my Dad to pick her up and he’d usually buy me a small for $0.10 and sometimes a large for $0.15.