Unlikeliest guest booking

Here’s an Iggy Pop performance from 1977…on the “Dinah Shore” show:confused::eek:! Both the song and interview are great, but who on the Dinah Shore show thought up this booking? Anyone see a guest booking for a talk or variety show that has totally suprised you?

I had such a crush on Dinah Shore back then! This just helps confirm her coolness.

PS Inserting the obligatory David Bowie on Bing Crosby Christmas Special reference for the OP. So David Bowie is 2 for 2 in this thread.

Here’s Tim Buckley performing minimalist ambient folk masterpiece “Song to the Siren” on the very last episode of… The Monkees. Admittedly it’s more conventional than the version he later recorded on Starsailor, and the Monkees were just about to film Head, but still. It’s as if Spice World had had a guest spot from Wilco, performing “Outta Mind (Outta Sight)”. But not as jarring, because the Monkees’ coolness quotient was a lot closer to Tim Buckley’s than the Spice Girls’ was to Wilco, if you see what I mean.

And here’s an uncomfortable-looking Stereolab performing “French Disko” on late-Friday-night post-pub lager-fuelled Channel 4 proto-lad embarrassment The Word. The band look absolutely thrilled to be trapped by a crowd of drunken teenagers and I can only assume that the show’s bookers were unfamiliar with Stereolab’s tasteful blend of avant-garde European pop stylings.

That version of “Sister Midnight” is awesome. It sounds seriously monged.

You ain’t seen nothing yet. Here is 2 Live Crew on Phil Donahue.

I daresay I win the thread.

This was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

Iggy Pop is not David Bowie. Were you thinking of Ziggy Stardust?

Although the OP did not explicitly say so, David Bowie was a guest on that same episode of Dinah Shore Show along with Iggy Pop. He can be seen in the linked clip.

Oops. Sorry about that.

I’d have to say Elton John being booked as the huge mystery headliner for the Harley Davidson 100th anniversary party in Milwaukee. The WTF was palpable, people were expecting the Stones, Aerosmith, or even Toby Keith… but Elton John??? Very long pause after the intro, followed by some clapping, followed by an exodus.

Sorry.

Mike Douglas with John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

Merv Griffin with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

Here’s Janis Joplin and Gloria Swanson together on Dick Cavett.

2 Live Crew? Not even close.

I did find it odd when Slash played “doin’ the locomotion” with Carole King on Letterman.