Upcoming gig - Gandalf/Smaug in the opera "The Hobbit"

Sorry, I’ve been sitting on this news for a while, and now that it’s been announced, I’ve been telling everybody because I’m still geeking out about it.

I’ll be doing the two roles of Gandalf the Grey and Smaug the Dragon in a production of “The Hobbit” for the Canadian Children’s Opera Company. The opera was written by Dean Burry, and first premiered in 2004 - in fact, the older brother of one of my guitar students was Bilbo in that first production.

All of the other roles are performed by children - part of the deal for me is that I’m to be a mentor and role model to young people who are interesting in singing.

I first read ‘The Hobbit’ when I got it for Christmas in 1975 - my brother Bill got ‘The Lord of the Rings’ that same Christmas, and by this time in 1976, I had read them both for the first time. I would have been 13 at the time.

Off to re-read them again…

Excellent! Congrats!

Exciting! That sounds like a whole lot of fun!

Bravo!

The notion of a children’s opera company both intrigues and puzzles me. What age are we talking here and what calibre of vocals are they delivering? ISTM that singing opera requires a level of training and physical strength that most young people haven’t developed yet. Do the kids get to use microphones or something, or are they just projecting the same way adult singers would?

Having been a random background goblin in a [mercifully non-musical] production of The Hobbit for my university’s Tolkien Society in 1980, I congratulate you and expect it to be a hoot and a half.

I offer you whatever is the Elvish equivalent of breaking a leg.

Congratulations! How will Smaug be portrayed, physically? Will you be wearing a (human-sized) dragon costume, or will there be a large puppet/set piece sort of thing?

You ask a fascinating question, there…

The Canadian Children’s Opera Company has its roots in what used to be called the Children’s Chorus. There are a number of shows where a chorus of children is called for - off the top of my head, “Boheme”, “Carmen”, “Rosenkavalier”, and “Tosca” spring to mind, and there are a couple of dozen others as well.

There are also a surprising number of operas in the standard rep that call for a child soloist, however briefly. In “Boheme”, Act II, a whiny voiced child has to sing 'Vo una tromba, un cavalin", ideally on pitch enough that we recognize that the kid is singing the same ‘melody’ that Parpignol the toy monger sang as he came onstage about 30 bars earlier. There’s a shepherd boy in Act III of “Tosca”, there’s the bratty kid in “Gianni Schicchi”, there’s the substantial role of Yniold in “Peléas et Mélisande”, and I’m sure I can add more to the list if I sit down and think about it. Sometimes these roles are sung by a young soprano who can pass for a child; often they’re sung by children. Amahl in “Amahl and the Night Visitors” is a feature role written for a child - my dear friend, the late Graham Campbell, sang that role at the age of 10 in the Australian premiere of the show.

I just saw the opening night of “The Cunning Little Vixen” by Janàcek last night, and there was an extensive chorus and many solo roles for children as some of the forest animals. In particular, The Frog (sung by the son of a friend) has one of the most crucial lines in the show - in the final scene, when The Forester returns to the spot where he first met Sharp Ears the Vixen, he sees a frog and says “You again, my slimy friend!”, to which the frog replies “No, you’re thinking of my grandfather - he told me about you.”, at which the Forester laughs, and we all contemplate mortality and the passage of time.

Now, those roles are not subject to the same kind of heavy orchestration that the adult voices have to sing over, and in the modern age, micing them is always an option. They often come from the ranks of Catholic or Anglican choirboys, or from other similar children’s ensembles.

So that’s more the idea of what’s going on with the CCOC - if you thought of it as a really well organized children’s choir where the kids occasionally do solo passages, that’d be closer to the mark. The boys tend to be pre-pubescent, the girls can be slightly older.

They’re projecting in the same way that adult singers would - breath support, a tension free vocal mechanism that allows the voice, and a well developed sense of pitch, rhythm, and diction - but the music has been written to accommodate a developing rather than a fully developed voice.

One of the things we’ve been talking about with this production is doing a kind of follow-up ‘where are they now?’ kind of article about kids that have been through the CCOC. My guitar student’s older brother is still an active singer, the young fellow who sang Thorin Oakenshield in 2016 is now a student at UBC, mostly interested in fresh water ecology, but still pursuing music. One of the young women who was in that 2016 production is now a conductor, and the list goes ever on and on…

I’ll keep you posted - we start rehearsals in April, and the shows are in late May/early June.

I believe we’re doing the puppet option, because that way, we can make Smaug gigantic. I’ll let you know if I’m miced offstage, or somewhere under the puppet.

While I’m hoping for the kind of indulgences they allowed Benedict Cumberbatch for the film, I doubt we have that in the budget… :smiley:

(Behind the scenes of the mo-cap from the film - https://youtu.be/sXN9IHrnVVU?si=ABlHHdEZyk0g3yft )

Congrats on the very nice gig!

Congratulations on the role(s) :blush:

In a sense this is a “20th Anniversary” edition of this opera - if you happen to have any pictures to share from the upcoming rehearsals I would be delighted to share them with the wider Tolkien community.

And hi to Banksiaman - I would love to hear more about that goblin! :sweat_smile:

Probably like many an actual goblin, I was just press-ganged into service, having thought that the Sydney University Tolkien Society was all about sitting around and drinking at pubs near Uni. I have only vague memories of the event itself, except being ordered to look menacing by the writer/director/producer/Thorin, and buying glow-in-the-dark Dracula teeth for my costume.

That sounds hilarious! :grin:

I know the UNSW Tolkien Society started out early in the 70s, iirc, but it does no longer seem to exist today… Well, the 80s are a couple of years ago, then!

I am always on the lookout for fun fandom stories of “back in the day” - so if you ever stumble across photos of you as the most dangerous-looking goblin director Thorin could come up with - let me know!

Cool stuff. Break a leg.

Is there anything with Tom, Bert and William and burrahobbits?

“Lots!”, “No, none at all!”

Composers are still doing that, of course. Last year I saw the Met Live production of Terence Blanchard’s 2013 opera Champion, including a boy-soprano aria for a childhood version of the protagonist character, and the young singer Ethan Joseph absolutely crushed it.

And what fantastic news about your upcoming gig, wish I could see the show!

Oh, and welcome, @TheTolkienist ! With a name like that, there’s a high probability that you’ll fit right in around here. We have rather a concentration of nerds, Tolkien and otherwise.

Thanks for the welcome - and given the story of the Straight Dope I am feeling right at home :smile:

I hope I am not doing anything wrong in this forum in sharing this:

Every two weeks I am publishing a free newsletter on all things Tolkienian and so - scouring the net, as I do - I stumble across a lot of places where people are plain fun and interesting.

I mean, how many times do I get to meet a singing Gandalf? Love it! :hugs:

No, in the score the whole scene with the Trolls is skipped. :frowning:

It’s a tremendous pleasure to meet you! I hope you don’t mind - I’d love to pass this newsletter on to our publicity/social media team!

My long-suffering wife is one of the Production Managers at The Met - her particular file involves productions that are being presented at The Met for the first time. Champion was one of her responsibilities in that season.

Please give her a nice bouquet or box of chocs or whatever from me, the production was SUPERB.