Upham buys a 1986 Jeep Comanche

I’ve really gotta start using more cryptic, less descriptive thread titles. Now i’ve got nothing to write.

But hell, i just can’t say it enough. I bought a truck. Great fucking Tao i’m pumped. It’s nothing fancy, it’s nothing new, it’s nothing flashy, but damn it to hell it’s mine

$700, ladies and gentlemen, is apparently the cost of freedom - At least so far as i’m concerned. Granted i will be paying insurance through my nose, sure repairs and gas are gonna be a bitch, but let’s get this straight folks: I can now drive my truck any where, and time I want to. Beyond that, I can go for as long as i want and sleep in the flat bed if i bloody well feel like it.

The mighty roar of it’s throbbing 4 cylander, 15 year old engine mildly impresses Notdog (my cat). Banjo (my dog) stands in awe at the crunching of the gears of it’s 4 speed standard transmission (i’ll get this damn stick shift down soon, or kill it trying) and, most importantly, i can PUT STUFF IN IT. MY STUFF. IN IT. No one will get mad if i smoke in it, ain’t no one gonna gripe because i brought it home out of gas.

After 19 years of walking, bumming rides and hitching I will now pick up the hitchers, i will now say “yeah, i guess i can give you a lift man, but i’m kinda hard up for gas, is that cool?” even though i’ve got a full tank.

In short, folks YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAW!!! I GOT ME A TRUCK!!!/ and thank god i’m a country boy.

A Comanche is basically a Cherokee with a truck bed, and I love my Cherokee!

According to Jeep Illustrated Buyer’s Guide:

Using the book’s five-star rating, the 4-cylinder gets four stars for day-to-day driving, four stars for off-highway, one star for investment potential, and five stars for parts availability. It also says that “One might guess that due to the short production runs, the Comanche pickup trucks could become collectible in the future.”

Have fun with it!

Jeez, you Canadians are so damned polite and law-abiding. If you lived in my city, you would have just stolen a truck and saved $700 and insurance payments. Also, it’s pretty easy to scrape off somebody’s registration sticker with an exacto-knife. Upham, you’ve got to stop being so naive.
Oh yeah, and congratulations. Some human colostomy bag actually did steal my car, so I know how it is to be semi-mobile.

Wow, thanks brother.

So i’m driving a future antique, eh? Tell y’all what, i’ll let you in on the ground floor and start the bidding at $100,000

As the (original) owner of an 86 Jeep Cherokee, I’d like to say congratulations! We’ve got 260,000 miles on ours now (about 20,000 on the rebuild - hey, it’s cheaper than a new one) and it’s still doing fine.

Have fun, and welcome to the wonderful world of standard transmission. It does wonders for that little 4 cylinder engine.

I bought my 4.0L 1999 Cherokee Sport new two years, two months and six days ago, and I’m still not used to the automatic transmission! Not only is it my first new vehicle (with more than two wheels), it’s my first automatic.

Last Monday I was getting on the freeway. I waited for the transmission to shift into fourth gear. And waited. Nope, it wouldn’t shift. The “check engine” light had been on since Saturday and I was taking to the shop on the way to work anyway. Turns out the forward control module failed. This was the day before it hit 91º so I didn’t know it affected the a/c too. Now, a month ago I was rear-ended and pushed into the car ahead of me. Could it have been jarred to the extent that it damaged the module? The collision damage was repaired in a week, and the CM was covered under my 5 year/100,000 mile extended service warranty so it’s all good now. But my next car will have a manual transmission!

In case you didn’t know, this is the last year for the Cherokee. It’s being replaced by the Liberty. Like all Jeeps, it ran the Rubicon Trail. Unlike all of the other Jeeps, there was a team that went ahead of it that stacked rocks to make the passage easier. And the Liberty was still damaged severely enough that it could not continue until it was repaired. (IIRC, the transfer case or front differential was broken; but I don’t remember for sure.)

So cherish your Cherokees/Comanches. They won’t be making them like that any more! :frowning:

I’ve heard of the Liberty (since i now own a Jeep i decided i’d go get informed on such matters so i can lean and gripe with my elsers and betters when i run into them) and i’ve got to say it’s a real bloody shame that Jeep seems to be taking its self the way of VW in the “lets build the ultimate Yuppiemobile” department.

Luckily, the older modles will probably out live these new iron piles and be with us a long, long time after they and the final Plymoth Azbleech bite the dust. (Incidently, when i was younger we had an International Scout - definatly the toughest thing on wheels i’ve ever seen - and it had a tent which attached to it’s tailgate too. Bloody rip off artists)

“Iron”? Surely, you jest! :stuck_out_tongue:

When I was a kid my dad bought a new 1974 Toyota Hi-Lux pickup. It had a tonneau on the back that folded out to the sides. Inside the shells were four 1" square tubes to support the ends, a bunch of fibreglas poles (I guess this was before shock-corded poles were invented), another fibreglas piece that looked like a half tonneau cover, Three 2 1/2’ x 6’ x 3" foam pads, and a whole lot of nylon. The poles were joined together to support the front and rear of the tent, which looked like a conestoga wagon, and the ends went into nylon-web “pockets” about half way down the outside of the tonneau covers. The other fibreglas piece had a folding leg. The front would fit over the front lip of the truck bed and the U-shaped leg supported the rear. It would be used as a table, or with a foam pad, a third bed (the tonneau covers being the other two). I think it was manufactured by Moss and was called the “Para-Camper”. The tent was tall enough to stand up in (even for a grown-up) and wide enough not to be cramped. Boy, was it fun! I wish they still made them, or that I could find a used one. (Of course, I’d have to buy a small pick-up to put it on.)