Using hot sauce to discipline children?!?

Maybe spray 'em with pepper spray or mace??? Make 'em eat raw jalepenos? Beat 'em up? :dubious:

Phosphoric acid :stuck_out_tongue:

Sam

nnbc (that’s a post from my cat, who decided to walk across the keyboard just now)

What I was going to say was…

It’s too bad crating children isn’t as socially acceptable as crating dogs. Because it works on the dogs like a charm. You guys sure you can’t just put the kids in a cage in the middle of the living room with a bowl of water and a chewy toy?

Because the hot sauce did not stop my dog from eating poop out in the yard. Didn’t even slow him down. I can’t imagine why that would do anything to children but traumatize them.

Take the little fucker out and shoot him.

Unless it’s a girl. In that case, shoot her.

Capsaicin has been an ingredient in commercial anti-nailbiting solutions for decades. Not much of a leap from there to putting hot sauce directly onto a little one’s tongue.

Jeez, Judge Crater, you wouldn’t pistol whip 'em first?

As well as a folk “remedy” for thumbsucking.

Yup, I saw it. I just think that it over dramatizes the risk involved in a very small amount of hot sauce.

It’s not as if they’re being made to chug a whole bottle of Tobasco, nor given a whole habanero to eat.

Well if you are so unfortunate to have such a bad kid that you have to put hot sauce in his mouth, then that is your perogative as a parent.

However, I am inlclined to believe the pediatricians, psychologists and experts on child care and family life who strongly recommend against the practice.

As well as it’s just plain mean. I don’t think hot sauce should ever be a last resort. There are always better alternatives.

I’ve witnessed it firsthand. One of our babysitters had two kids herself, if the girl mouthed off at her she’d get the tabasco sauce and dump it in her mouth. She did give either a glass of milk or a slice of bread and butter after a short time though. But I never saw that it made much of a difference. The girl would mouth off at her mother fairly often. She never did it to us though (both because neither of us swore and Mom wouldn’t have stood for it.)

It kinda depends on the hot sauce used. Blair’s death sauce is wrong, But something fairly mild like Tabasco seems like the parents perogative.

I don’t have any kids. Note that the anecdote was regarding what methods my best friend’s mother considered punishment for his swearing when he was a child.

I don’t think that a couple of psychiatrists and pediatricians are the entirety of what is absolutely good and bad as far as raising kids go. Experts also often disagree with each other, and are still susceptible to a good old fashioned over-reaction.

This seems reasonable. So does distinguishing the amount of Tobasco used. A couple of drops does not seem shocking or unreasonable. Half a bottle seems pretty nasty, and would be just as nasty to me if it was a grown person drinking half a bottle of Tobasco.

What about a single shake of pepper out of the regular old ground black pepper table shaker?

This might sound like a great idea but just wait until the kid is in their teens and skipping school to try habanero peppers. Imagine horror of having your kid drop out of college because he is too busy stealing money to support his two bottle a day habit

One particular problem (of many) with this approach is that the effects can last for hours. And can lead to gastric upset along with burning hot diarrhea the next day. Even with a few drops in the mouth. Young kids are very, very sensitive to capsaicin. They’ll often instinctively rub their mouths, then their eyes and nose water from the effects of the dose in the mouth, so they rub them too. Then their eyes, nose, and mouths are on fire.

Most rational advocates of physical punishment for children (generally for behavior which is extreme, refractory to other modalities of modification, and actually dangerous) recommend a very swift action which gets the child’s attention but is then over.

Sorry, having seen this method in action, I really don’t see the big deal about possible drooling and eye watering.

It seems like an over-reaction on the part of those who are so vehemently opposed to it, and I don’t really think it amounts to abuse, so unless you’re arguing that it is and that the authorities should be notified about it, it’s a matter of personal choice.

Have you ever gotten hot sauce or juice from a pepper in your eye? It can be extremely painful, even in small amounts. I’m glad this didn’t end up causing any serious hurt to the kid you saw, but so far I can’t see how this is in any way superior to whackin’ 'em.

I certainly wouldn’t approve. The burning pain can last a lot longer than the pain from an ordinary spank, so I would consider it a harsher punishment. Seeing how sensitive to spicy flavors my 4-yo is, I wouldn’t dream of giving her something like hot sauce.
—One method for working on a biting child is to give them something safe to bite to help them control the urge–biting is often a response to frustration. So if the child carries, say, a washcloth, he can learn to bite on it to ease the frustration and control himself, until he can learn to stop biting entirely.

To me, it seems worse than getting your mouth washed out with soap. I was a rather smart-mouthed child and remember many mouth washings. The soap tasted terrible, but it never *hurt. *

Likewise, I was spanked on occassion and hot sauce seems worse than that. The pain from a spanking is over just about instantly (at least with the spankings I got which were very infrequent and not all that hard). Not like the burning from hot sauce which just lingers.

Yeah, one of the “Peanuts” characters mentions it in one of the old strips.

Pepper spray. It certainly sucked for a little while, but there was absolutely no lasting damage and a good flush with water fixed it.

Gave me the terrible shits.

A small drop of Tobasco doesn’t ‘linger’ all that long. Few minutes maybe.