Utah's war on homelessness is escalating

Utah has been lauded in the national media for having licked the problem of homelessness by ‘just giving people houses’. As much as I’d like to be able to claim that my state solved such an intractable problem, it’s always struck me as more hype than reality. Now, apparently, we’re considering a different tactic.

SL Trib: Escalating violence around homeless shelter has Utah House speaker asking: Is this a job for the National Guard

My younger brother is homeless in Salt Lake City. Unfortunately, he’s mentally ill, refuses treatment and harasses anyone he believes should be regularly sending him money so we don’t talk anymore.

It’s a rough life. He’s pushing 50 now and I don’t know how much longer he will be able to take it.

If guardsmen discover a nest of enemy homelessness, or intercept credible intelligence that homelessness is amassing troops for a major assault on home ownership, what will the rules of engagement be?

There’s no need to “discover”. We all pretty much know right where they nest / amass. RoE seem to be ‘weapons free’:Graphic Content: Body cam video from Abdi Mohamed shooting released

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

It’s the only way to be sure

You misspelled “state.”

You just need one nuke, right in downtown SLC. Trust me, the rest of the state is not worth the nukes, unless you want to wipe out sage brush and desert tortoise. I’d recommend something in the 25 Kiloton neighborhood, airburst detonation

Nah, some of the best skiing in the country is in the mountains east of SLC. Some things are important.

Is this violence happening to and/or coming from the former homeless being given homes or the ones who are still homeless?

I think the point that HuffPo was making is that “former homeless being given homes” is mostly a myth. And FWIW, we’re really not talking about much violence here. It would just be statistical noise on most weekends in Chicago.

Well this is depressing. I was under the impression that Utah was a genuine poster child for what compassionate, common-sense reform can achieve.

HuffPo also makes the point that we are, at least in some ways, but probably not to the extent that some in the mainstream media have been leading their readers on about. The moral of the story is: don’t believe everything you read in the NYT or WaPo.

Good way to deal with the homeless problem. Kill anyone who doesn’t have a home.

Hmmm, that is disappointing. When I was hearing news stories about giving homes to the homeless, I had to double check that it was a conservative state that was actually doing something humane and good for the community. I was surprised by this development, and it gave me hope that the conservatives weren’t all bad.

Thank you for disabusing me of this notion. I did quickly review the NYT and Wapo articles on it, and they all relied on the data that was compiled by the republican office holders in utah, so I don’t know that it was the newspapers that we should be blaming for misleading the public in this particular case. Looking into it a bit further does find that the state was spinning the numbers to make them look good to the voters. The NYT and WaPo really only failed in their due diligence by assuming that a republican office holder would tell the truth, but it does seem as though they reported exactly what they were told by the people you elected to represent you.

Hey man, as long as we agree that they failed, I’m satisfied. :wink:

As long as we can agree that the representatives that you and your state elected to represent you lied to you and the rest of the country to make themselves look good, then I am too.

Which elected official, precisely, are you claiming lied?

I don’t know your politics well enough to know who is on what committee, but someone apporved this chart. This chart, which was put out by your government, with the blessing of the officials that you elected or were hired by the people that you elected is the reason that news organizations got the wrong impression that you were doing something effective about the homeless.

So, you tell me, which member of utah’s legislators that you voted for stood up and said, “Hey, that chart isn’t right, we shouldn’t put that out to the media, they would get the wrong impression.”, because every other one who stayed silent and let that misinformation go is a party to a lie.

Then perhaps you ought to refrain from making outlandish claims about how “the representatives that [me] and [my] state elected to represent [us] lied”

Nah, it is pretty accurate. the legislature that is enacted through the votes of the citizens of utah allowed, with their blessing, material to be published that showed a picture that was not true.

If you want to quibble about specifically which ones were responsible, that is just you trying to deflect the blame. This is a government that you endorse, and it deliberately misled the public through giving the press information that was not true.

The fact that you then blame the press for publishing information that is put out by your state is a very poor attempt at deflecting blame.

Oh, and this thing you keep doing, of taking one line out of context and contesting it, as if it actually refutes the rest of the post, not really working out for you. It is a very obvious rhetorical trick, and you are not fooling anyone. It may cause people to refuse to engage with you in the future, but it is not going to convince anyone at all about the validity of your argument. If nothing else, it basically says to me that everything else in my post you agreed with, and a neutral observer would come to the same conclusion.

Did you have any sort of follow up on who approved the misleading materials to be disseminated to media outlets, or do you want to keep hiding behind the idea that if it was a group effort, then no one can be held accountable?