V: 1.03, "A Bright New Day" (Open Spoilers)

First, yes it’s cheese but it’s interesting. There are questions but I like trying to answer them, if I like the show, rather than forcing the show to do all of the work.

In that context, I like what someone said about talking English in their suits as it forces them to do so. My wife and I wondered about them talking English when alone and calling themselves Vs, but again, it could be to stay in character so they don’t slip up later.

I don’t think the pilot’s wife was brain washed or anything. I think Anna is that persuasive and convinced her it was an accident. Otherwise, when it wore off, it would be worse or they would have to kill her and I don’t see them wanting to do that.

Marriage - It could be that Dale is the weird one, not liking the mammals and that most Vs are either indifferent or like them. I mean, from what we have seen, one V is ready to get married and Lisa was kissing the kid. I assume there is something there until the show shows me otherwise. Also, Anna did compliment Scott Wolf on his appearance, so either she went out of her way to figure out if he was, in humans terms, or she meant it. Assumable Anna picked a form that was pretty as she understands that would help. Again, easier to assume they can be attracted to humans until they show or say otherwise.

Overall, I like it. Yes, there are some potential issues with it but it’s still entertaining as heck!

As for the hiatus, I don’t like it either but I guess it’s because ABC will be showing the winter olympics. it will return when that’s done.

vislor

Heh, I noticed that, too. The pinprick cams are apparently HD, but their military gear couldn’t bear a comparison to low-end cellphone cams. Perhaps that’s indicative of their cultural development: the entertainment sector overtook the military one, becoming the leading producer of high-tech in the process; then, after 2000 years of reality TV, the Vs went mad and started invading other civilisations. Suddenly, I can’t really blame them anymore…

Isn’t that odd. I found her kinda “meh” on Firefly, but I think she’s wildly hot with the short hair. This coming from someone who loves latiny women with long hair.

Or Dale could just be a racist who loathes humans, while Ryan isn’t. Some white men won’t have sex with black women, other white men don’t have a problem with it.

This was my first reaction as well. However, upon reflection, I assume that the Visitor center is the V Embassy in New York. Therefore, it is sovereign territory of the V. Much as any other embassy in NY or DC, it is subject to the laws and sovereignty of the owner.

It is funny. A few minutes before I watched the episode, I was setting up a buddy (roughly Dale’s age) on a blind date with another friend of mine. I agree that Dale used her as cover, but it is not absurd to see single Feds. My friend is an FBI Agent… :smiley:

I think the casting of Anna and Lisa (as mother and daughter) was brilliant. Despite the hair color, both actresses have similar bone structure and smallish heads.

The last two weeks I had commented to my wife on their casting; noting that they were gorgeous but both had a bit of the same unique look that could pass as slightly alien. I guess they shared those traits on purpose!

As for what “Juliet’s” son has been chosen for,

Spoilered as it relates to a plot point from the Original series:

I think he is part of a reverse of the Elizabeth/Brian crossbreeding experiment. I think the V wisely chose in this incarnation to control the offspring by offering one of their females as the mother instead of serving as the father. Better to have physical possession than to leave the chosen one in the hands of the resistance!

Yep after one more episode we have to wait until March. But if it makes you feel any better, I read that they haven’t even shot the other episodes yet, that will happen in January.

I’m enjoying the fact that the appropriately named middleman is setting up blind dates. :slight_smile:

I’m glad some character asked “Why don’t/ didn’t they just eliminate us?”

Brian

I think the building in NYC is supposed to be their embassy to the UN. I noticed that they have fewer motherships than in the original (29 instead of 50).

Well the all-male security force could fit in with dominant females and expendable males being assigned more risky, physically demanding jobs, but the lack of female captains is a bit odd if they’re a matriarchy. Perhaps males greatly outnumber females and females have obtained an exalted status as a result (though if that were the case they’d probally spend most of their time laying eggs).

It’s also possible that while males are normally the dominant gender Anna is an exception (maybe she’s part of the ruling family, Diana in the original was the Leader’s mistress). Then again if you think about it the only way we even know that Anna is a female under her skinsuit is because Lisa addressed her as “mother”. I don’t see any reason why a Visitor’s human disguise would need to match of with their true gender. Hell maybe all the Vs are actually female and they reproduce through parthenogenesis like some Earth lizards. Or they could be hermaphrodites.

I imagine they look something like this.

There’s no logical reason that the meatsuit has to match gender with the occupant, FWIW.

Heh. It’s better than when that show called Middleman has a weak episode, and everyone on message boards are posting, “Middleman sucks!” Hurts my feelings.

Plus, me real name is Will and people in movies and on tv are yelling for other people to fire at me.

It’s tough being me!:wink:

Yes. I was assuming the same since they are in NY.

I disagree. We saw the pilot’s wife get a successful snow job by the wily and manipulative Anna; that’s what all the rehearsing could’ve been for. Anna needed to quickly strike just the right chord to make someone willingly slip away with her while no one was looking; maybe a single teardrop would sell it, maybe not – but from that point on, Anna could swap in a substitute.

Me, too.

They would probably first try to influence the real wife, instead of replacing her with a visitor. Unlike the long time undercover Vs, she’d have living relatives who know her much better than the visitors do and might be able to tell that something’s not right with her.

Well, we did see Anna requesting all available information about the woman; that could’ve just been to win the lady over, or it could’ve been an impersonator’s dossier. I mean, sure, granted, her relatives might be able to tell that something’s not right with her; conversely, the real widow might nod and smile politely until she’s at the mike on live national television, at which point she can rant to wake the devil, right?

No it isn’t. This is an UL. See Post #31.

Really, though, look at the entire tone of the series and the strategy of the V. It’s all about manipuation, not coersion.

She wasn’t swapped.

-Joe

I agree.

What leads people to the conclusion that the Vs can replicate the appearance and behavior of an existing human? These aren’t Terminators. IIRC I don’t even think Blade Runner replicants actually replaced existing people.

I don’t think there is any evidence whatsoever to indicate that the infiltrators replaced existing people. They obviously can take human form with their skin suits, but I don’t believe they can mimic the appearance of a specific human.

Weird. I don’t know how I missed that post. Thanks for the info!

If the pilot’s wife was a V, why would Anna go to the trouble of rehearsing her heart-felt condolences and tears for their private meeting?