V: 1.03, "A Bright New Day" (Open Spoilers)

It was so hard for the VBI agent to remember what happened to him, if ONLY he had at tiny camera he could have been wearing to record his every moment. Too bad the Vs couldn’t think of THAT!

You know, I can understand certain complaining, but not others.

Want to complain about VWash getting married as part of his cover, but he found it disgusting and so it’s totally implausible that he would do it?

Umm…maybe he was ordered to? You know, the whole reason he was there dealing with those stinky humans in the first place?

And I’m curious, in a real-worldy kind of way, if I were to go to an embassy, actually get inside, and then get arrested for trying to kill a diplomat, would I be immediately returned to US authorities, or would I end up in V custody since I had an attempted murder on V soil?

-Joe

Why would he be ordered to marry? What possible gain could there be, unless the wife was in some way a source of important info to the aliens? There’s been nothing to suggest that she was important in any way.

In a real-worldy kind of way, no ETs involved, I think there’d be a hell of an extradition battle, either way, particularly if the embassy was of a country known to use measures of which, until this past administration, the US did not approve.

I don’t know, but lots of other questions seem to be getting answered by people asking, “Why don’t they do this?”. So, I’ll be nice enough to let them go for now.

[/QUOTE]

And in the meantime they’d be held…?

-Joe

I was thinking “reconnected” = Borg hive mentality, and Cyrus was booted out when he turned traitor.

I’m thinking they replaced the soldier’s wife with a V, and that she’s screaming and beating on the cell door somewhere on the mothership.

And the “assassin” turned out to be a V plant. :smiley:

It’s cheese, but it’s good cheese.

It can’t be too strong - if it was, Ana wouldn’t have had to have her little videoconference. I think it’s more like a combination of DirecTV (your code can be deactivated) and Soma (Brave New World).

-Joe

I assumed “lie beside his wife” included sex. He simply didn’t want to describe in detail for Joshua because it was so disgusting. If the new Vs are as totalitarian a society as they were in the original then it is believable they the sleepers would be subject to conditioning and surpress their disgust out of duty.

Having the Visitors refer to themselves as “Vs” in private with eachother bothers me too. I wouldn’t be so sure about us hearing a “translation” of the Vs speaking in their own language though. In the original when we heard them speaking English to eachother on their ships they were actually speaking English, not Sirian. They may not be able to properly speak their own language wearing the skinsuits (remeber their “masks” extend down their throats) and they’d surely want to stay as immersed in their “false identities” to avoid slip ups in front of humans.

I think she’s a Visitor in a “pilot’s wife” skinsuit.

I took it as simple asshattery, like when certain guys get together and talk shit about their wives, despite actually having fairly happy marriages.

Isn’t one of the FBI agents the actress that played one of the five cylons from Battlestar Galactica? I bet she’s a V. She made good evil.

If they extend it beyond a mini series, it’s ratings will drop fast. I have no interest in long dragged out drama that never resolves. If they give it a definite limited number of seasons, I’ll wait till the end and watch, but if they drag it on season after season no way. I don’t want to be into the series when suddenly it gets canceled with a patchwork conclusion.

You would be immediately returned to U.S. custody.

Contrary to popular belief, diplomatic missions are not sovereign territory of the represented state. They are sovereign territory of the host state, which has jurisdiction for any crimes committed within the embassy. The embassy is afforded special privileges (such as immunity from most local laws), but the ambassador can waive this. The ambassador could try to protect someone accused of a crime within the embassy, but they could not try them themselves. Cite.

Also, from here:

I agree. This was totally unrealistic. It makes me think that the head FBI agent is a “V”, or is receiving orders from higher-ups who knew that the whole thing was a hoax.

I mean, how does the U.S. government know that “V”'s aren’t just going to summarily execute the accused “human”?

No way they’d do that. The guy was a deep cover agent. The Vs aren’t going to take a chance on him getting caught with alien technology and blowing the whole covert op.

If Elizabeth Mitchell’s boss FBI guy turns out to be a V, I’ll be pretty annoyed. They’re telegraphing that one so much that IMO they have no choice but to NOT make him a V.

And I thought the “re-connected” thing was some sort of drug that they use for control. BLG seemed to back this up while accusing Cyrus of being an addict.

Speaking of the tiny cameras, didn’t Erica’s face show up briefly on the holograms she was looking at? She tried to hide it by walking backward and waving her hands, but if V security reviews the footage they can tell it’s her.

Yes. Quite plainly, actually, so those patchcams are clearly higher res than whatever their remotes can transmit.

I think the walking backward and waving her hands was her trying to find the camera that was seeing her, not trying to hide her face.

She seemed pretty brazen about it. She was trying to locate where the camera was, but how the heck was she going to explain how she got into the room if she got caught? I did like the archaic surveillance room they tried to pass off, but I missed their reasoning for not “upgrading.”

I think he may be 5th Column. Just a hunch. He could have fired Erica and/or had her charged with making a false official statement and obstruction of justice when she lied about being in the warehouse. Instead, he covered for her. The V would have no interest in protecting a known resistance sympathizer, but the 5C might.

well “Bliss” was mentioned.

seems as though Bliss is either a Soma like additive or a hive mind high.

The fighter pilot’s wife: Before their meeting, they showed Anna rehearsing a nice little speech about loss and family and so on, trying out different variations of her lines, with the one teardrop at the end. This implies that FPW is neither a V in a skinsuit nor was she just zapped with some kind of mind-control ray; she was just given a successful snow job by the wily and manipulative Anna.

Dale being married: A bit of a stretcher, to be sure. One thing, though–my impression of the FBI is that it’s kind of a conservative culture; I don’t know, but an unmarried guy might stand out enough in the FBI to make the V’s consider it worth ordering their deep cover agent to Lie Back and Think of Sirius and sleep with the disgusting smelly mammal in order to blend in. Of course, Erica herself is now a single mom, and they could have just had Dale be a convenient widower or something–but he was in for almost 20 years. Having a wife could really be an asset in terms of not standing out, so long as she doesn’t notice the whole forked tongue thing.

Ryan apparently actually being into the whole “sex with mammals” thing: Maybe the Fifth Column members are the V equivalent of furries. That would be kind of weird; on the one hand, we, the human race, need them. They’re our allies, essential to our struggle for survival. On the other hand, jeeze, they’re frakking furries.

The phrase “Fifth Column”: The original Fifth Column were the bad guys; fascists in point of fact, and I’ve never heard the phrase used in a positive sense–fifth columnists are always evil subversives, boring from within on behalf of some external enemy, usually an evil ideology like Fascism or Communism. Interesting that the F.C. here is more along the lines of what would normally be termed “La Resistance”. I don’t know if there’s any significance to that, or if the writers are just maybe a little historically ignorant. (Or I guess you could fanwank it by claiming the V turncoats simply don’t quite have a 100% grasp of human idioms.)

What makes you think they’re talking about a human Fifth Column? For all we know, groups known by “the resistance” are historically the evil subversives on Sirius.

As Counselor Troi mentioned in the episode, “Darmok”, if you say “Juliet on the balcony”, it doesn’t have meaning without context. So the Sirius version of “Juliet on the balcony” could be very unromantic, indeed. Maybe their Juliet killed and ate Romeo.

As for the point on furries, I think as a group they are unfairly judged. Social mores change over time. Gays were ostracized in the past, but now they are more or less accepted by society. I think an interesting take on the V saga would be to have the “invaders” look human instead of reptilian and the “humans” look like ridiculous mascots (but completely biological).