[QUOTE=Hentor the Barbarian]
It doesn’t matter a bit who in Virginia heard the word “macaca” before. General ignorance of the word was probably why he felt he could use it. Most people probably wouldn’t know what I meant if I accused them of engaging in urolagnia. Doesn’t change what I mean when I use it, or how offended people would be when they learned what it meant.
Your prediction of what I would believe is simply the projection of your own partisan excuses for Allen, and not on reality. The fact that you would engage in such specious argumentation (really, the ignorance of the word) suggests that you are motivated to do some serious stretching and reaching on behalf of Allen.
[/QUOTE]
I’m just curious if you think Robert Byrd is a racist because he used the word “nigger” on Larry King Live a few years ago. Personally, I think as a young man Robert Byrd was indeed a racist. I also believe that “as a young man” was a very long time ago for Senator Byrd, when there was an entirely different culture in place. Most of us would like to assume we’re innately good people and would behave according to our moral values despite what the cultural norm was at the time. I personally like to believe that too, but deep down inside I know it probably just isn’t what would happen precisely because a great deal of your moral values are shaped by your culture.
However, I also believe Robert Byrd was a racist in his early days in Congress and I think his voting record and stance on the civil rights issue makes that very clear.
And, finally, I also believe that Robert Byrd is no longer a racist, sees the error in his stances in the past and genuinely regrets some things from his past. I believe he used the word nigger inappropriately on Larry King Live, but I believe he did it without thinking and it was not evidence that he’s currently a racist.
IN regard to Allen, I believe he knew macaca was a racial slur on some level but I also don’t think he meant to say it. He made a mistake, and I don’t think it was a mistake that reflects on some deep-core racism in Allen’s heart. I genuinely don’t believe that he is a racist.
I oppose Senator Byrd’s political stances pretty much as vehemently as I oppose the political stances of any person in congress, but I don’t and won’t just blanketly label him a racist because of a slip of the tongue. However there was a time, when, primarily motivated out of partisanship I did so, in retrospect I think that was wrong and have come to the opinion that Byrd isn’t a racist simply because of a slip of the tongue. Nor do I think Allen is.