Vaccination for anthrax?

I do volunteer work for a group that faces an obscure auto-immune disease. While the disease it self is genetically based, there is a great deal of controversy regarding the experiences which trigger the active phase. As with all such, there are occasional detours into alternative treatments and theory. One of the things I do is to research the various claims and supply the larger picture - in the hope that no one will be taken for a ride!

Recently there’s been mention about airplanes supposedly spreading an anti-anthrax vaccination and causing a reaction in many people with symptoms close to those which often precede the first flare of the disease. It seems to me unlikely that there would be wide-spread spraying for anthrax, or that it would do any good - but I can’t find any reference at all. I checked urban legends and did a general search for anthrax, but found nothing. Does anyone out there know anything about this? The locale was reported to be the Pacific Northwest.

I’ve never heard that you can SPRAY a vaccine from an airplane; as far as I know, any anthrax vaccine would have to be injected.

Why would you spray anyway? To get the cows out on the range? I don’t think ranching is done that way anymore. If it’s supposed to be some public health measure, it’s obviously nonsense. It would be much more expensive to spray, say, a town than just to push a vaccination program. Think of how much you’d waste by spraying, not to mention legal liability if it turned out to cause an adverse reaction in someone who couldn’t avoid it.

I’m not sure, but the story seemed to imply that the spraying might have been inside the airplane… but I wouldn’t think that makes any more sense. What I am hoping for is something official I can supply this woman (and the group in general) that debunks the idea.

I think this is what you’re referring to…

http://www.crystallady.com/contrails.htm

(may need to add an “l”…)

Sue from El Paso
members.aol.com/majormd/index.html

You could e-mail JillGat (@aol.com). She was a reg on the old board, and works for the CDC.

My guess is that this is an UL; Anthrax is a bacterium, and vaccines prevent viruses.

–Rowan
Shopping is still cheaper than therapy. --my Aunt Franny

vaccines are available for both viruses and bacteria, don’t know anything about an aerial anthrax vaccine, but I’d put my money on an UL.

[[I’m not sure, but the story seemed to imply that the spraying might have been inside the airplane… but I wouldn’t think that makes any more sense. What I am hoping for is something official I can supply this woman (and the group in general) that debunks the idea.]]

I have never heard such a story, but - as others have said - this is not how “anti-anthrax” vaccine works. It must be injected. Interestingly, the military vaccinates soldiers against anthrax sometimes, as many countries keep stockpiles of it to be possibly used as bio-warfare. But there is some evidence that the anthrax being developed for germ warfare has been genetically altered so that the vaccine may be ineffective. You might find more about anthrax and anthrax vaccine at www.cdc.gov. The story of the airplane spraying sounds outlandish, though. I’ll look around. If I find out more, I’ll post it here.
Jill

Here is some good information on anthrax and anthrax vaccine:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/anthrax_g.htm

[[You could e-mail JillGat (@aol.com). She was a reg on the old board, and works for the CDC.]] Rowan

And I’m a moderator on this board (for Comments on Cecil’s Columns)!

Many thanks to all… I should be able to convince all concerned that it’s a myth. I do understand their desire to find a reason for their disease, but I hate to see them go off in odd directions.

You can only be a victim once. After that you’re just a volunteer.

Naomi Judd