valid ticket or not?

I have a side question to this thread.
i was recently pulled over for speeding (Baltimore city), yes i pulled over right away on the main highway into the city. the LEO never told me how fast he clocked me or even that he did figure my speed. never asked if i knew why i was pulled over or if i knew how fast i was going. He just came up accused me of doing double the limit. Tried to say i was doing 80 thru a S turn (totally imposible in Corrolla) and gave me a ticket for “speed greater that reasonable”.

so my question is Dont i have the right to know how fast i was clocked (not just accused of) and is this still a “valid” ticket?

Duplicate of post in this thread.

Actually, since this post has little to do with the older thread, I’ve closed that one and re-opened this one.

No. You have a right to know what you’re charged with and per your OP it’s “speed greater that reasonable”. An officer doesn’t need to use a clocking device to determine that.

Also, since it’s a request for legal advice it’s better suited for IMHO than GQ.

States require the specific statute/Ordinance to be listed on the citation. If this was complied with, then a technical variance will have to be addressed in court. You can argue since an exact speed was not listed, it was prejudicial to you to provide the best defense you could?

In Ohio, per state law, we have the Uniform Traffic Ticket form that all agencies must follow. Certain areas must be filled in.

Check your state traffic rules or such and see if they have such a form listed to view in the appendix of forms and what must be filled in to comply with the law.

Either way, you have the ticket and the right to tell your story to a judge. I believe the ticket is valid as written. That still does not matter much. The officer generally has the right to amend the charge when/if it goes to court.

PS. Officers sometimes make side notes on the tickets about what they saw and the “victim’s” attitude. They use this to refresh their “independent recollection” at court time. A tough customer gets tough treatment. All tickets should be challenged, but the method changes with circumstances.