Vanilla Ice & The Gap

Does it bother anybody else that a Vanilla Ice song (“Ice Ice Baby”) is being used in a Gap commercials – if only for a moment.

I mean, eew.

About the only thing I find more distressing than hearing that song in the commercial is realizing that The Gap chose it because it’s nostalgia. I’m old.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

I’ve heard that Vanilla Ice is trying to make a comeback. This is, what, his third?

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

Manhattan – that was exactly what I meant. Scary…

I haven’t seen That commercial,I wish I had!I LOVE that song! I know I’m the only one who does,but…

His last comeback was with a Korn-inspired guitar-driven angst-fest which didn’t do as horrible as it could have, though needless to say it was a critical bomb. Like anything attatched to his name, sadly…

Yer pal,
Satan

I think they’re going less for nostalga and more for camp, like the Old Navy ads. (The new one is actually sorta funny, where they’re playing charades and the vapid blond himbos keep guessing “It’s a book!”)

Actually, until they showed the Gap logo at the end, I thought it was an Old Navy ad!

Haven’t seen it. Is it just the music to the song or does it also have words? If its just the music, then its not Vanilla Ice, its Lou Reed. Vanilla Ice used a heavy dose of samples in that excuse for a song.

Just saw it…
The words “Ice, Ice, Baby” are clearly heard. It’s him.
It’s a mix of Christmas songs (Ice=winter=Christmas)
Frightened…

JMcC, San Francisco
http://members.tripod.com/~weirdstuff/index.html
“Hear the voices in my head, I swear to God it sounds like they’re snoring”

I thought the samples for Ice Ice Baby were from David Bowie’s song Pressure. Or did Vanilla rip off more than one song for his fifteen minutes?

I thought it was a Queen tune.

It’s a long way to heaven, but only three short steps to hell.

Ice Ice Baby was stolen from Under Pressure by Queen. Even though I’m just a youngin’ here, I can’t understand why they would pick it for nostalgia. I think they were just going for something to show the changing seasons. I mean, if a 14 year old can remember it, how old can it be?

To bring everything together: The baseline (and a bit more) was sampled from “Under Pressure,” which was done by Queen, but with David Bowie.

Ok, that should clear that up. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, Queen. Not Lou Reed. My bad. I just remembered it as being sampled from something of a much higher caliber than Vanilla Ice. I’m not a big Queen fan or anything, but it still pisses me off that he had the nerve to sample that.