Vanilla Ice's "To the Extreme" is the highest-selling rap album of all-time?

The site below makes that claim. Is it true?

“To the Extreme” is the highest-selling rap album (worldwide) of all-time

. .

Doing a search, I get conflicts between MC Hammers ‘Hammer dont hurt em’, To the Extreme and Eminems first album.
Strange. Stupid confusing chart sites.

And yet, if you mention the album to his face, he’ll most likely break a chair or something.

My search got the same results as you, paulberserker, but “Please Hammer Don’t Hurt 'Em” was the biggest selling rap album in the U.S., not worldwide.

Considering that astro’s link is the Vanilla Ice fan club website, I’m a little skeptical. But I guess we’re talking best-selling, not best-quality, so it could be true. He had a huge following back then. A lot of white kids bought that record, so he covered a huge demographic.

My sources say the winner is TLC - CrazySexyCool (12 Million).

Bah, but who knows. :confused:

I saw that, too, but I dismissed it because is that really rap? Hip-hop, yes, but I don’t know why they put that in the ‘rap’ category.

15 million according to this less than glowing bio.

Yeah, I wondered that too.

Does R&B w/ Hip-Hop elements count?

It appears that it does.

Hmm

Ah, well there you go! 15 Mil…Wow!

But now comes the real question, should Vanilla Ice qualify as rap? :wink:

Word to your mother

Two million after he stopped being popular? Those must be the same idiots that went to see his more-recent tour (as a rock group) in order to make fun of him.

I own a copy of that record.

I went to see him in concert when he opened up for MC Hammer.

I loved every minute of all of it.
There are some good songs on that record, and even the bad songs have their moments. Regardless of whether or not you believe his story, the record company’s story, or the “objective” media account, the simple fact is this:

Fifteen million people bought the record.

And now nobody will admit it?
That’s pretty weak.

This thread makes me wanna wax a chump like a candle.

That actually made me loller. :smiley:

Ahem …
“All right stop, collaborate and listen. Ice is back with my brand new invention. Something grabs ahold of me tightly, flow like a harpoon daily and nightly. Will it ever stop? Yo, I don’t know. Turn off the lights, and I’ll glow. To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle …”

What?

I never had it, I swear!

ahem

Ice Ice Baby is my favorite song of ALL TIME.
And I am not ashamed to admit it.

Its where my username comes from. :cool:

Too cold!

The Guiness Book of World Records lists TLC’s CrazySexyCool as the top selling Hip-Hop/Rap album at 11 million sold, surpassing Please Hammer Don’t Hurt 'Em, which sold 10 million.

That’s the most credible source I could find, with no mention of Ice anywhere. Also, it seems that TLC is really “counted” either… on most sites Hammer’s album is still held as the top selling rap album. Hrm.