Vegan baked goods assistance!

Okay, so. In the absence of eggs to help vegan baked offerings maintain their delightful fluffy texture, most cooks use some combination of baking soda/powder and an acid, generally lemon juice or (urk!) vinegar.

I’ve tried the lemon juice in a vanilla, lemon, and strawberry cake, with fabulous results. However… even in a very chocolately chocolate cake, I can’t get over the ineffable vinegariness or residual lemon juice taste.

Is there anything else I can use?
Some other alcohol, wine or brandy maybe?
Something that won’t make my cupcakes taste like spongy failed salad dressing?

I don’t, myself, have anything for you, but you might try consulting a food allergy site or sites as egg allergy is fairly common and such a forum may well have an answer for you.

Hmm. Checking the Veganomicon, they have a Deep Chocolate Bundt Cake recipe that doesn’t use an acid at all. Baking soda, baking powder. I’ll list the ingredients and see if they make sense to you:

1.75 c brewed coffee
2/3 c unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1.5 c granulated sugar.
1/3 c canola oil
1/3 c applesauce
0.25 c cornstarch
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2 c whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp salt
2 tsp confectioners’ sugar

Let me know if you want a summary of the directions, to see if you can generalize this to other recipes. (This is not a copyright violation as you can’t copyright ingredient lists or how to produce something, but direction wording can be considered copyrightable.)

I might also recommend their cookbook Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World; I don’t have it but it’s highly rated.

That’s interesting, I’ve never tried just baking soda + acid. I usually use ground flaxseed in things like muffins, but I can see where they might add an undesirable flavor to a cake.

The Post Punk Kitchen offers a variety of suggestions of egg replacers and the most appropriate uses for each. So, maybe soy yogurt or banana?

Also seconding Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.

I don’t know either; when I’ve replaced the eggs, I’ve used either applesauce or soft tofu. I don’t know enough cooking chemistry to understand what the acid would add.

isnt cocoa powder fairly acid? And what about the acid inherent in applesauce? and the acids present in coffee?

True, though I was thinking of an extremely acidic agent like vinegar/lemon juice. Many baked goods that use eggs also have coffee (which they stated was for deepening the flavor) or Dutch-process cocoa. Applesauce is often a moisture replacer/retainer for vegan baked goods, as well. I wonder if it’s simply the mixture of all of those that carry it off.

Well I’m a bit late to this game, but I come with a solution: Ener-G Egg Replacer.

I’ve been using this stuff for 20 years. It’s easy to use, doesn’t adversely affect the taste or texture of foods, and works great as a binding agent to keep cakes, breads, muffins, etc. from falling apart.

It can be found in most health food stores (real grocery stores, it’s hit or miss at a vitamin-type health food store).

For the curious, it’s mostly just potato starch. It might seem expensive, but it only takes 2 tbsp plus some water to equal 1 egg, so a box will last quite a long time.

I have it, it’s a fantastic cookbook. Every cupcake I’ve made from that book has been delicious.

I think your question has already been answered, but I’ll list the things I use as a binder in baking:

EnerG Egg Replacer
Cornstarch and water
Applesauce
Ground flaxseeds
Banana
Canned pumpkin
Silken tofu

Obviously, pick the correct ingredient for your recipe, you wouldn’t want a banana flavored zucchini bread. The EnerG replacer or the blended silken tofu are the most neutral flavor-wise.

I came here to say bananas, but I see that has already been done.

So instead I will say that my pumpkin chocolate chip cookies were wonderful with banana. An odd, but very yummy combination.