Very stiff whipped cream?

Today is my son’s birthday (Happy birthday, monkey-face!) He wants a chocolate cake with white frosting, and I’d like to use whipped cream as the frosting. Real “heavy whipping cream” that’s been beaten for a while, not that canned stuff. I’ve done this a couple of times before, but I find the cream isn’t quite stiff enough & ends up being messy & difficult to work with.

I’m wondering if there’s anything I can add to “heavy cream & confectioners sugar” that’ll really stiffen it up - gelatin perhaps?

Thanks in advance!!

It’s not really whipped cream anymore but I’ve seen Giada DeLaurentiis combine mascarpone with whipped cream to make a very thick topping. A quick search yields multiple results – she must do it often. You’d have to sort through and pick the recipe that looks most promising.

Disclaimer: I’ve never tried it, and I’m no foodie. I just like Giada.

Butter?

There’s this commercial product called Whip It! from a company called Oetker that’s designed to stiffen whipped cream.

The standard frosting for cakes is buttercream which is stable enough to support a cake. Alternatively, gelatine can be used. Bloom 1 tbsp of powdered gelatin in 1/2 cup of gently warmed cream until completely dissolved, add to 2 cups of cream and whip until stiff peaks. Add granulated sugar once soft peaks are reached for an extra tiny bit more stability. This shoul hold up well enough for your purposes.

Commercial bakeries seem to use some sort of horrible vegtable shortening to stiffen up their whipped cream which will certainly give you structure at the expense of tasting horrible. If you want, you can use cocoa butter to stiffen the cream which will give it a rich, white chocolate taste which should be a great hit.

Wow, my mouth just started watering a little. That sounds fabulous.

Earthworm, if you really want to use unalduterated whipped cream, just make sure that you, um, apply it immediately before serving. It will separate and liquify pretty quickly, and you’ll just have soggy cake with like seafoamy scum on it.

I recommend that–spread’n’serve–over adding adulterants to artificially solidify it. Add enough confectioner’s sugar to give it SOME body.

Note: it’s VERY easy to overwhip cream. It doesn’t just get stiffer and stiffer as you whip it. It reaches a peak of stiffness, and beyond that it breaks and separates. Adding sugar first will help–otherwise, clumsily whipped cream = butter and whey.

If it’s worth while, get an extra little carton and experiment the day before.

Actually, properly stored, it should last for 6 - 12 hours and up to a day without any significant deflation (cite).

It’s also reasonably hard to churn cream into butter. It stays at stiff peaks for a good 2 to 3 minutes before breaking down. Egg whites are far trickier.

This must be variable, because my experience is the opposite.

Ah, yes, this would be the best. As a baker professionally I have had occasion to use it on a number of occasions.

Whip It comes in small packets roughly the size of an individual sugar pack. It’s a white powdery substance that is added to whipping cream as it is whipped. I can attest it does not change the color, flavor or texture in the mouth of the whipped cream. It just keeps it from collapsing at all. The resulting cream can be used as a filling in between tart layers, used as an icing on their outside, or can be piped in decorative fashion.

Ordinary grocery stores don’t usually carry it though. But if you have a gourmet foods store, or an international store around(especially on with a Germanic background) you may find it there. I think it’s also available online.

It’s definitely worth the search.

As a side note…make sure you use a chilled bowl and chilled beaters. Your best results will be from a metal bowl. I usually put my bowl and beaters in the fridge a couple of hours before whipping cream.

If your kid’s not opposed to cream cheese, and you can’t get ahold of the product Baker recommends, I usually add some cream cheese to my whipped cream just to give it a bit of a thicker feel. I also add a little bit of cream of tartar. And I use granulated sugar - never tried with confectioner’s sugar. When I worked in a restaurant we used granulated sugar - is confectioner’s sugar what is usually used?

Use chilled cream, chilled metal bowl, beat until stiff. store in a plastic container. It should last for a day.

There’s an ingredient which does just this. It’s Oetker’s Whip it. If you have a World Market nearby, you can pick it up cheaply there. If not, look online

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. It still separates to some extent. Plus, it’s VERY easy to make butter out of heavy cream. As I learned accidentally once making whipped cream. Best way, if you wanna make homemade butter for a Martha Stewart moment, is to shake the cream in a mason jar.

:eek:
You can get cream in a can over there? (says the Australian girl). Well, you learn something new every day. :slight_smile:

You Betcha!

Oooohhhh… that stuff… yeah, I’ve seen that stuff (although there isn’t much of it around, here)… but I had never thought of it as cream :slight_smile:

I was thinking, when you said stiff cream, that it was something you get in a baked beans style can, and it was almost solid (like canned coconut cream) thus the " :eek: "

…my bad

You can also get Cans for whipping cream. I’ve been lusting after one of those for a while now (for stuff other than cream) but I’ve never seen it sold in Australia :P.

Ditto. I’ve never done it, but my mom made me an Angel Food Cake and Whipped Cream frosting every year for my birthday. Also, you can leave the whipped cream in the fridge for a couple hours before you put it on the cake. It tasted pure and fresh and was very stiff.