Victoria's Crack Shack

Victoria Crack Shack

So after reading the story we can see that Rick Boudreau isn’t an angel but his questionable character doesn’t seem to be the main question here.

Many people now consider him to be a hero and many more have offered to help him fight the charges he’s facing for break and enter, uttering threats, and mischief.

If someone decided to open a “Crack Shack” in your neighbourhood and the landlord / police failed to address your concerns what would you do?

Well, I wouldn’t get up a mob to go in and wreck their house, that’s for damn sure. The man is a violent criminal, and I hope he is treated as such.

But the article presented no evidence that his daughter or other children were in any danger.

Furthermore…

Hero my ass.

Aw, jeez. Sorry for the somewhat intemperate language in that previous post. Anti-drug hysteria is kind of a hot-button issue with me, and I got a little carried away.

But I stand by my opinion. Unless there’s something we’re not being told, Boudreau went way over the line.

So we know what you wouldn’t do. We know that Rick isn’t an upstanding citizen either. What would you do?

There is a crack house in your neighbourhood. Drugs attract criminals and as the police stated, drug dealers are often armed in order to protect their drugs and money. This situation would be considered a dangerous one by many people.

The landlord appears to have been aware of the situation yet was either unable and possibly unwilling to address the situation.

From my point of view it appears that the landlord was unwilling to go through the steps needed to evict these tenants and the police appear to be stretched a little thin. It may turn out that the police simply dropped the ball on this one and are trying to cover their butts as a number of common citizens felt compelled to take it upon themselves to do a job that belongs to the police.

I don’t know all the details but this incident does provoke some thought. Any one of us could find ourselves in a situation like this and might be moved to taking some form of independent action if no help was forthcoming from the authorities.

True. Or it may turn out that the police acted dilligently but uncovered no evidence of any wrongdoing that they could act upon. It may turn out that the residents of the house were a bunch of peaceful hippies who were law-abiding other than the fact that they used drugs, and their neighbors over-reacted based on media-fueled drug hysteria where no real threat existed.

Or it may turn out that the winsome 14 year old daughter had a crush on some “bad boy” in the house and her admittedly violent father freaked out and went on a rampage.

That’s exactly my point. We need more information than the article provides to judge whether the man is a hero or a menace. (And yes, I know I jumped to conclusions earlier as well, but in the opposite direction…)

Agreed. And I do think it can become necessary in some situations for ordinary citizens to act where officials won’t. I just don’t know if this was one of them. And I question whether going into a home (one not even owned by the “druggies”) and rendering it uninhabitable, to the point of destroying the toilet fercryinoutlod, was the appropriate response.

And finally, let me just point out that one doesn’t need needles to do crack. It was probably heroin. I’m not saying it’s necessarily any better to have a house full of heroin users next door than crack users, but the use here of the sensational term “crack house” leads me to believe that some folks may not be looking at this objectively.

In part, I experienced a similar situation a few years ago. There was one house in an otherwise very nice, peaceful, neighborhood that was habituated by both heroin and crack users, who were using and selling drugs. The landlord had registered the house with city housing authorities as low-income housing and the tenants were actually chosen by the city. A group of neighbors contacted the police regarding the activities that were taking place and were told what steps should be taken to further police involvement. A log was kept, detailing the comings and goings of the tenants and their customers, and presented to the police after several months of compiling information. The police simply didn’t respond. I mean they did absolutely nothing. The entire neighborhood was unsafe, you couldn’t leave anything (even garden tools) unsecured because the dopers were stealing everything not tied down and selling to the local “quick cash” stores. On several occasions, people were also seen carrying weapons into and out of the house. I personally saw someone enter the dwelling with a sawed-off 12 gauge shotgun.
I was lucky enough to come in contact with one man from a neighborhood uplift program (out of the area)who had enough influence to force the police to get involved. They staged a raid late one night, and I never saw the tenants again.
All this to say I can somewhat understand Boudreau’s frustration. I don’t agree with his methods, but it can be a maddening exercise in futility when the police refuse to take any interest or action. It is a stinging insult to all the honest, hardworking, taxpaying, people in any neighborhood to have local government agencies simply ignore their problems.