Videos where the dashcam owner is the stupid one

I like to watch compilations of stupid driver dashcam videos. Every now and then one of the clips is clearly from the dashcam of the driver who was the idiot. Are there any clip compilations of just those videos from the idjits’ dashcams out there? I’ve tried to search for these, but never get any relevant hits.

try the Fail Army ones. In many cases the driver is clearly going too fast for the road conditions.

Other than fail videos, of which there are a lot, take a look at Russian dash cam compilations. More often than not I think ‘that wouldn’t have happened if they weren’t driving so close’.

The reddit for “Idiots in cars” has this quite often. Unsurprisingly, a lot of bad drivers are convinced that everyone else on the road are the idiots, and post their videos looking for validation.

I recall one recently where the guy was speeding along the highway in a snowstorm, and then started yelling about “all these idiots stopped in the middle of the highway!!!”, which of course was him actually driving into the tail-end of a massive pile-up caused by all the idiots just like him who were driving far too fast for the conditions.

Here’s a good example:

The guy pulls out of a driveway, bullies his way across four lanes of heavy traffic, then complains about other drivers doing stupid things.

Okay, sure the other drivers really were stupid, but so was this guy. Doubly so, because he could have edited out the first 10 seconds or so to avoid showing his own stupidity entirely.

I see many where the dashcam driver isn’t the one who started the problem, but through their own stupidity, aggressiveness (usually), or inaction makes the situation worse.

For example in the one below, it is clear the truck is coming over long before the dashcam car took any action. Slow down, change lanes (if clear), and don’t take it so personally. Sure, the truck made a dumb move, but no need to make it worse.

I don’t see the problem. It’s obviously a backed-up intersection, and the cars have left a reasonable gap. The driver isn’t trying to cheat his way past traffic, just make it to the left-turn lane. No one is put at risk by the maneuver. I usually try to leave a gap when I’m driving on the main road in situations like these, and just for this reason.

At least one guy had to stop short because this guy cut him off.

Wait what? There was a gap and he took it (at a reasonable speed, checking to see there wasn’t someone coming) so he could get to the turn lane. That’s not “bullying” thats driving in a city (though that is clearly the burbs). Hell you would be able to drive across town without doing that lots of places.

The guy he pointed out drove ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD THROUGH A BUSY INTERSECTION!

He was moving pretty slowly, and both cars clearly saw each other. Even had the other one not stopped, it wouldn’t have been a big deal.

This is one of my favourites. There was some debate on Trucknet where I first saw it and the consensus was that the truck driver who posted the video was mostly at fault.

As a soon-to-be dashcam owner, I’ve been poring though a lot of the relevant forums/videos. I’m surprised at how many of the crashes appear avoidable, had the cammer slowed a bit or yielded sooner. They’re technically in the right, but many times I think “That wouldn’t have happened to me.”

Easy to armchair judge these things, I guess.

Could you summarize? I’m having difficulty seeing how the dashcam driver is at fault here.

Yeah I don’t see how he’s at fault at all. Not from what’s on the video at least.

This is why I wouldn’t want and don’t have a dash cam. It would record my sins, which consist chiefly of rolling stop signs and speeding. LOL

This thread begs the question, if the driver who was hit by “reckless dash cam driver” notices the dash cam in RDCD’s car, can he ask the police to seize it as evidence, or can it be subpoenaed for a trial?

1. He knew that the caravan was alongside and deliberately sped up
  2. Even when a collision became inevitable, he made no attempt to avoid it.
  3. If he had backed off and let the caravan overtake, there would have been no collision.

Yes, of course the caravan driver was as bad, or even worse. But we all have a responsibility to avoid accidents if we can, even if it means backing down from an ignorant bully. Some people on Trucknet were of the opinion that he kept going because he knew that it was being recorded. He was quite put out when he was criticized.

Well, obviously the driving standards where you live are different. anyone pulling that around here would get a severe honking at by everyone involved. You don’t cut across three or four lanes of traffic out of a parking lot just because you really really want to take that particular left, especially if the traffic is that heavy. I’m pretty sure it’s even against the law around here.

Rule #3 | Leaving a Driveway

Since you are the one entering into oncoming traffic, you do not have the right-of-way. You must yield to oncoming traffic, cyclists, and pedestrians.

DanDanTheFireman creates compilations of motorcycle helmet/dashcam videos with commentary on how the rider could have done better. There are plenty of cases where the motorcyclist was just plain in the wrong, but in most of the other cases the motorcyclist just allowed a dangerous situation to develop without taking steps to mitigate it. A common example is lingering in another driver’s blind spot. Perfectly legal, but perfectly dumb. There are very few cases in which there was nothing the motorcyclist could have done better.

Except the oncoming traffic let him in. The traffic was stationary (or nearly so) and there was a clear gap in front of him. Nothing illegal or inadvisable about that.

The car who was “forced to stop” wasn’t forced to do anything he saw him coming through the gap in the queue of traffic and voluntarily stopped to let him. He could have kept going and blocked him off but decided not to.

IANAL, but according to a few law firm websites, you could insist on a search warrant, but the outcome would be the same. I assume deleting or erasing the video would come under whatever laws govern evidence-tampering.

This is an issue I want to figure out as well. I’ve learned the hard way to avoid interactions with the justice system if at all possible, witness or otherwise. I’m curious what my legal responsibilities are should my cameras record someone else’s accident.

I realize a lot could vary by state also. I’ve looked at a webiste called TexasCarLaws and another from a Houston law firm. Both advise not recording audio and that it is technically illegal to affix any device to a windshield in Texas, So those are the requirements of the system we’re shopping for (inhibit audio, and dash mount). Also, there are apparently legal risks from posting videos. I’m not sure of the details but that won’t apply to me anyway.