Violence

If I am to toss a small charger at someone that asked for it back and it didnt hit them and they decided not to catch it, do they have a right to punch me in the face and break my glasses? I did not hit back I walked away and now she is threatening to call the cops on me…Im also a women.

No.

Moderator Action

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Board, d-mendoza1122. This is basically asking for legal advice/opinion, and we put threads like that in the In My Humble Opinion forum. It’s no big deal. You don’t have to do anything. I’ll move the thread there for you.

As the name of the forum indicates, it is just for people’s opinions. Some of the folks that answer may be experts in law. Some may not. As always, if you need real legal advice, it’s best to contact a professional.

Moving thread from General Questions to In My Humble Opinion.

Unless you pitched it overhand and an independent witness is going to testify that it looked like you were aiming to bean the perosn - no. (I suppose a corroborating piece of evidenc was whether it landed near her, or hit the wall, or landed a long way away - and indicator whether it was pitched to hit or lobbed to be caught.)

However, in no circumstances is a person entitled to punch back unless you are still threatening them. Again, though, independent witnesses prevent this from being she said-she said…

Did it hit her?

Was it charged?

Did it shock her?

What has been your past relations with this person?

You need to press charges against this girl.