Vital Wheat Gluten

Since moving to the US I’ve been less than happy with the gluten in my breads. So last week I was reading about adding vital wheat gluten to help provide some boost.

Does anyone have an experience with this? I’ve got a box of Hodgson Mill that I plan to add a bit of to my recipes. Curious if anyone has some tips.

Thanks

I’ve used vital wheat gluten in my breads before when I need some extra structure to support add-ins, like nuts and seeds. Bread flour is ~12% protein, and wheat gluten is just flour supplemented with extra gluten so it has around ~25% protein IIRC. So, just replace some of the flour you’d use with a few tablespoons of wheat gluten.

Ah, I haven’t heard it used as a “replacement,” that makes sense. When you say a few tablespoons, what would that be roughly for a recipe using 4 cups of flour? I have a multi-grain bread that I love, but the cereal and nut mixture destroys my gluten. Typical recipe is 4 cups of flour with 1 cup of the cereal mix.

I’m quoting from Rose Levy Beranbaum’s The Bread Bible, which I highly recommend purchasing; it’s well worth many of the recipes found inside.

Upon further reading, I shouldn’t have said ‘replacement’ but rather ‘addition’. For my seeded bread, using 2 cups of flour and 1/2 cup of seeds, I use ~4 teaspoons of additional gluten.