Volvo Help - Rick?

Wife’s 2011 Volvo C70 over here in Hawaii. It eats the 25 amp fuses for the driver’s power seat. First just once every two weeks or so then on an accelerating schedule finally involving the passenger seat fusing. Since it’s in warranty, dealer replaced the “seat module” which fixed things for a while. Started up again. Mostly when the seat heads to the all-the-way back position, it just dies there. I check fuse and it’s toast. (I’m getting really proficient on changing the little bastard. I leave the fabric cover off now, have extras in the spare slots, and the position is memorized.)

Nothing in the Volvo forums about the fuses - lots on a micro-switch and bracket problem. Any hints or service tips I can pass on to the dealer for the next go around? Perhaps a limit switch?

I had exactly the same thing with my Ford Mondeo. I have to be careful not to operate the seat back and tilt at the same time or it goes. Like you I became a dab hand at swapping the little blighter.

Multiple Volvo owner here (3) - You obviously have a short in the wiring between the fuse, the relay and the seat motor. Unless you are handy with a multimeter and have the time and patience to track down the short’s location, you may have to take the vehicle to the dealer. A cheaper alternative may be an auto electrical shop. However, they are going need the schematics to shorten the time it will take them to troubleshoot and Volvo may not provide private shops with these.

A quick check item - Depending upon the cost, I would consult your owners manual and see which relay controls the seat motor. Unless it is integrated into your relay control box, I would remove and replace it before you take the car in to be serviced… While it may not solve your problem, it will be one less step (e.g. require less time to troubleshoot) than if you allow them to do it.

It is under Warranty. Let them fix it. Be sure to tell the service rep everything that you told us!

If it was not under Warranty, the above suggestions are good starting places.

“Dab Hand”. I like that!

I drive a Jeep, and have become “dab” in road-side repairs no normal person should ever have to be “dab” at.

Good luck with the Volvo, OP. (trade it for a BMW! :wink: )

I’ve had a BMW with a computer that went out went out went out along with the BMW

You’re driving a fire hazard. The breaker is there to provide short circuit protection only. I don’t believe you have a solid short because the seat wouldn’t move if you did. A frayed wire, poor connection, faulty motor, broken insulation allowing contact with metal (frame? another component?), is limiting the current available to the seat drive motor which causes the fuse to overheat and break the electrical connection.

Repeatedly replacing the fuse, without fixing the problem, is an invitation to smoke damage, noxious fumes, and/or a fire.

If the dealer can’t fix the problem, contact Volvo’s corporate headquarters in Hawaii. You also have the option of taking your car to another dealer or independent auto repair specializing in Volvo.

[hijack doubling as a bump in case Rick spots it this time]

“A dab hand” is a common British English phrase, and you have clearly understood its meaning - but it must be used as a whole. “Dab” on its own does not have the same meaning.

Hope this comes across as helpful (as intended) rather than condescending :).