VP Debates Thread, or "Beauty and the Beast"

Talk about “Must See TV!”

Cheney: “As the President has said repeatedly in the past, 'Those that aren’t with us, are again…URK!” Plop.

That would be one of those “Do you remember where you were when…” moments.

Then we’d have George Bush running the country! Double- :eek: !

Eh, IMO, it’s a meaningless sideshow, and I’ve really heard quite enough Republican bullshit about Saddam’s supposed ties to 9/11 for one election, thank you very much. Nevertheless, I’ll tune in tonight, in the vain hope of an expletive-laced Cheney meltdown.

He can come off with some gems when he’s torqued, but I don’t think I would try to get him mad. Because if reined in just enough, sputtering rage can come off as righteous indignation. And Cheney’s shrewd. He’ll be looking for traps, I bet.

The tricky thing for Edwards, too, I think, will be modulating his attacks so as not to sound over-eager or snide (there’s a mild petulance that crops up when he’s faced with a question he doesn’t like). As long as he’s able to keep Cheney on the defensive throughout like Kerry did with Shrub, he could edge by with more nods. Cheney has more to account for than a few questionable Senate votes. But if he gains the upper hand by compelling Edwards to defend his record too much or worse, sucks him into the still-dangerous vortex of Kerry’s semantics regarding his own positions, the whole thing could easily go into Cheney’s favor.

No, I mean that the psychology of it will be such that they don’t. As Uke said.

I could be wrong, though. Hell, I’d like nothing more than for Cheny to implode.

Unless you buy that crap about “liberal media bias,” the media are not, strictly speaking, in race. (Well, Fox is, but CNN isn’t.) I really don’t see why they would think in “strategic” terms, giving Cheney a pass so they can save their big guns for Bush’s next debate performance.

You need to drain the whole bottle if Cheney pulls a Darth Vader and uses the force to choke and snuff the life out of Edwards’ ewok* like body.
Okay, not exactly, but he is a bit cute and definitely more furry than Cheney.

I think I remember hearing that Edwards sued God and won. Cheney is a light breakfast.

My take on Debate 1 was that Bush was so pathetic that the media had to give Kerry the points. For the VP debate, some of the faux objectivity might take over and they might pretend that Cheny held his own.

Then they might spin Debate 2 as a comeback for Bush if he is not completely stumbling and drooling.

It will be interesting to see how the conservative media continue to mold the story. Many permutations are possible.

If Kerry supporters were forced to drop and do 10 pushups for every “Halliburton” out of Edwards’ mouth and Bush fans required to do the same for every time Cheney says “trial lawyers”, we’d have a stronger and more forceful nation in no time.

Right here, Snoogums. I guess I’m just not as voluble as I used to be.

Yes, thank you, and it was delicious.

He’s certainly possessed, what with the contract signed in blood and all that.

I listened to Rush Limbaugh the day after the debate. Bush destroyed Kerry in the first debate, on the substantive issues of course, it wasn’t even close. Bush did miss the big chance to remove and eat Kerry’s still beating heart, and Rush did take the President to task for that, but explained that the president did seem a little tired and frustrated with the Senator’s inanities by the end.

The man is pure comic genius. I highly recommend catching Rush’s spin tomorrow.

Am I the only one whose mind flashed to the Super Bowl upon reading the first, and saw “grasp tics” as “grasp tits” in the second?

That would be lively.

Tentative Proposal:
Cheney refers to Edwards’s youth/inexperience: 1 drink
Moderator asks a question based on Edwards’s youth/inexperience: 2 drinks
Edwards refers to Cheney’s health/age/bad heart: 1 drink
Moderator asks a question based on Cheney’s health/age/bad heart: 2 drinks
Cheney’s heart gives out on stage: finish bottle
Cheney says “trial lawyer”: 2 drinks
Edwards says “two Americas”: 2 drinks
Edwards says “mislead”: 1 drink
Cheney says “best intelligence”: 1 drink
Either says “WMDs” or “nuclear proliferation”: 1 drink
Edwards mentions Al-Queda’s “connection” to Iraq: 2 drinks
Cheney mentions Al-Queda’s “connection” to Iraq: 3 drinks
Cheney says “liberal” or “left wing”: 1 drink (with modifier “too”: 2 drinks)
Edwards says “conservative” or “right wing”: 1 drink (with modifier “too”: 2 drinks)
Any mention of the Supreme Court: 1 drink
Any SC Justice by name: 2 drinks per mention
Cheney mentions 9/11: 1 drink
Edwards mentions Patriot act: 1 drink
Edwards mentions deficit: 1 drink
Cheney mentions cost of Kerry’s programs: 1 drink
Either mentions Vietnam: 3 drinks
Any expletive: chug 'til you run out of breath

Bonus Don’t-have-to-work Wednesday Rules
Cheney says “Kerry”: 1 drink
Cheney says “Bush”: 2 drinks
Edwards says “Bush”: 1 drink
Edwards says “Kerry”: 2 drinks
Either says both “Bush” and “Kerry” in the same sentence: finish bottle

What say you?

I’d say you’re trying to kill us all!

Plus you left out “Halliburton.”

And “no bid contracts.”

And “gay marriage.”

And “special interests.”

Hey, that’s why it’s tentative. Gotta have stakeholder input, and all that.

A well known national morning talk show host set out his own rules.
Go to bed early and get up early in the morning.
Set out a shot glass and a bottle of lemon vodka.
Down one shot for each time John Edwards mentions “Haliburton” on the morning news/talk show reruns.Go on the air as scheduled, if able.
Sounds reasonable to me.

It will be interesting if this comes up as both men are on record as being largely in agreement on this issue, and Cheney actually disagrees with his administration here.