Wakanda Forever

As opposed to all of the “white” nations, that use their secret tech to run covert espionage ops all over the world.

Yeah, everyone’s going to be antsy, and I understand why, but that doesn’t mean it’s justifiable.

A few years ago, I created a character for a superhero roleplaying game that is oddly similar to this version of Namor. I wanted a water-based hero with a different origin than the Atlantis myths with which Namor and Aquaman are associated. I thought the Aztec god of water and archery, Atlahua, was interesting and the name shared the same first few letters as Atlantic and Atlantis. My character had powers (breathe underwater, swim fast, summon storms, throw water “arrows”, etc.) that were granted by Atlahua.

If the MCU Namor isn’t from Atlantis, and maybe has no connection to Greek or Roman mythology, I wonder if some Aztec or Mayan deity like Atlahua will instead be associated with the MCU’s underwater civilization?

Too late to edit my previous post - I see that there is some discussion on the internet that the MCU Namor is from Tlālōcān.

“Tlālōcān is described in several Aztec codices as a Paradise, ruled over by the rain deity Tlālōc.”

… and this ground was already covered upthread by Cervaise in his summary.

I’m aware, of course, of the massive challenge of losing Chadwick Boseman, but haven’t followed anything else about this movie. What has been going on?

Letitia Wright is a crazy antivaxxer.

Not to mention there’s been a lot of backlash from fans about how, by not recasting T’Challa, the MCU Is destroying the legacy of the character. Many feel that it should have been recast rather than stripping T’Challa of the Black Panther title.

AFAICT that doesn’t mean that previously “the world” was actually unaware of Wakanda’s existence or that the nation of Wakanda had no official political presence internationally. The MCU canon deets that MrDibble and I mentioned strongly contradict any such claim.

What it means is rather that Wakanda is preparing to “join the world” in its true capacity as a highly developed powerful nation, and engage in global trade and other forms of international cooperation and exertion of influence.

The reference to having been “in the shadows” alludes to the previous Wakandan policy of isolationist pseudo-weakness, pretending to be an impoverished underdeveloped country so that everyone else would leave them alone. But even while pretending to be an impoverished underdeveloped country, their existence as a nation was still officially internationally recognized. AFAICT.

Trailer is out.

Isn’t Wakanda landlocked?

They have a series of tubes…

Looks great, though I was hoping Nakia or Okoye would be the new BP, and it looks like it will be Shuri.

That’s not out of line with the comics, though I’d also prefer not.

It is by a really large salt lake, though.

It probably will be but I didn’t see anything in that trailer that confirmed it.

Perhaps multiple Panthers? And I know Namor’s ankle-wings are canon, but they are silly at first glance. I think that will be forgotten, though.

I think it’s going to be Nakia. We’ve seen a lot of Shuri and Okoye in the trailers but very little Nakia. My guessing is there’s lots of shots of her in the armor that they aren’t including.

You got that right. And the wide shot of him parkouring around looked really fake.

Otherwise, I’m into it. I loved the first one, so here’s hoping they are able to do it again.

I’m skeptical about the ankle wings in general, but (assuming we’re talking about the same scene) I don’t think he was parkouring around, I think he was flying like a hummingbird. Which is a cool way of depicting flight that I don’t think I’ve seen used in a movie before.

I’m with South Park in that I think Black Panther is nice, even kind of good, but is overrated. I was not that huge a fan. I do love Black Panther’s appearances in Infinity War and Endgame, though. I’m interested in this Black Panther 2, but not as much as Ant-Man 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and even the Guardians Holiday special.

Yeah, you could be right. I only watched it once on my phone. And while that is conceptually cool, I still think it looked dumb in actuality. :sweat_smile: