WandaVision on Disney+ (spoilers after first post)

“For the Children!” (when there are no children around) was rather creepy as well.

…there is an obvious story here. Our protagonist appears to be some kind of a witch. Her husband appears to be some sort of a robot. They are existing in what appears to be a bizarre sitcom world and our protagonist appears to be the only person who knows what is really happening. Somebody is trying to communicate with them from the outside.

How is this not obviously a story?

Its the opening chapters of a book. Often the opening chapters hook you in and compel you to read the rest of the book. And sometimes they don’t, and you put the book down and walk away. And that’s just fine.

They are included. They just aren’t beating you over the head with them. I’ll never forget rewatching the pilot of Person of Interest and realizing just how much of that episode foreshadowed so much of what was to come. But at the time it seemed like just another generic procedural with a twist.

Sometimes you just have to read the whole book to appreciate the first few chapters. And sometimes you just put the book down after the opening paragraphs, and again that’s okay. If it isn’t working for you then it isn’t working for you.

Something sounds familiar.

Yes it does, doesn’t it.

Well were you satisfied how that went? I was.

It ended fairly well. I still think in that case, as in this one and others, episodic television needs episodes that have their own plot and story that is not merely a device for later use. I’m not sure I’d want to step into the Watchmen universe any further if it’s going to follow that format. I certainly don’t have any reason to wait out this show one episode at a time. When it concludes I’ll rapid binge the episodes then watch the conclusion to find out if it was worthwhile.

Then please do the REST of us a favor and quit watching and quit talking about how much you hate it. You have literally nothing positive to say about it and the constant rehashing of “I WANT ALL THE PLOT IN THE FIRST 5 MINUTES!” is fucking annoying as shit.

Modnote, please cool off. I mostly agree with you, but please try to keep more civil.

@TriPolar please do consider not posting in this thread for a while. You are verging on threadshitting at this point. We understand you’re not happy with the show so far.

This is just a guidance, not a warning. Nothing on your permanent record.

I did notice some subtleties that clued me in that we were in the early 60s.

Episode 1 - 50s (I Love Lucy) = Wanda and Vision are dressed very conventionally. Typical 50s plot of impressing the boss and fitting in as a SAHW. Vision wearing a suit all the time and Wanda in whatever those Stepford Wife style of dresses are called.

Episode 2 - Early 60s Black & White (Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie) = Wanda is wearing a more “mod” style. Fitted sweaters and pants. More racially diverse neighbors (although that could be due to modern sensibilities vs being “period correct”. I sense Vision and Wanda would have had challenges fitting in to the neighborhood in a “hip New York couple moves to the suburbs” way, even if they weren’t an advanced AI and his magical wife.

After than I imagine it will get a lot easier:

Episode 2/3 - Late 60s Color (Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie IN COLOR!!) - Obviously now it’s colorized

From the trailers:
70s (Brady Bunch) - Vision grew his hair out. Wanda wearing Marsha Marsha Marsha dresses. Cool Craig Robinson is their neighbor.
80s - Katheryn Hahn with big hair and legwarmers
90s (Rosanne) - Brief shot of Wanda wearing a flannel shirt

I also read somewhere they were going to do an episode with a 2000s (The Office, Parks & Rec) style “mocumentary” single camera format.

There is a hint of a large story here and the implication of something going on because we know their backstory. I wouldn’t say it’s “obvious”. Well, the beekeeper and the lady watching the monitor of Wanda and Vision are obvious that SOMETHING is going on. Hopefully not in a “Lost” sort of never gets wrapped up sort of way.

The big challenge IMHO is that until we get more into whatever the overarching story is, WandaVision does rely on the audience being entertained by watching retro sitcoms starring MCU characters. Yes, episodes 1 and 2 were done very well as 1950s and 1960s sitcoms. But…they are still 50s and 60s sitcoms.

As for waiting out each episode, I’m not sure it matters yet if you just start watching at Episode 3 or watch them in any order. At this point all we know is that they live in TV Land and “something” is going on.

At the end of the day, still kind of want to see Wanda toss a Humvee at a Hydra helicopter gunship using her mind powers.

Technically, the solution in Endgame was to a problem that was also stupid. Thanos has the power to do anything he wants. He wants to eliminate half the life in the universe because he believes it is for the greater good. So why not create twice as much stuff? Or something more nuanced that can only be done when you control the fundamental laws of the universe?

Also…do we want to talk about how 2013 Thor’s hammer is now missing from Asgard?

I’m sure the MCU producers don’t want to! :slight_smile:

I thought Cap put it back.

Why is not being happy with how the show is being presented considered “threadshitting.” Nowhere in the OP does it say “You must love this show to discuss it.” I happen to agree with him that the first episode was pretty bad on it’s own and could have gotten the same point across in 5 minutes. Watching a 20 minute parody of cheesy bad acting and bad sitcom storytelling IMO is not a good way to hook viewers.

I kind of agree that the first episode was not quite cute enough for us to be engaged. I know there was a bit of mystery, but I do wish it had been better.

Correct, he brought the hammer with him when he went to put back the Stones.

It’s unlikely that anyone turning into WandaVision is a ‘new’ viewer. MCU has a HUGE built in audience for this sort of thing.

The hook is in the title itself - ‘WandaVision’ -

Just watched these last night.

Wasn’t sure what to expect, but I found them enjoyable.

The sit-com style was a bit odd, but it was actually pretty well done, I found many of the scenes to be fairly amusing. I didn’t watch much 50s-60s sitcoms, so I don’t have much to compare it to.

As to what is going on, I do wonder if Vision’s job has any part of it. He is shown briefly doing computations, and much is said about his abilities in these areas, and yet, no one seems to want to explain what it is that he is doing.

I’m looking forward to the next episode, to see how the story further progresses, as well as to see what crazy hijinks this crazy couple get up to.