WandaVision on Disney+ (spoilers after first post)

So, the first two episodes of “WandaVision” have dropped on Disney+. Anyone see this yet? I have. Spoilers and commentary after first post.

A funny and strange show so far. Very “I Love Lucy” and “Dick Van Dyke”-esque. But with the intrigue of “Why is this happening? How can Vision still be alive?” You think this has something to do with the Mind Stone? Or is Vision dead, and this is all Wanda?

Loving it. Very strange but very intriguing. Surprisingly good “sitcom” plots, and very well performed. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

I guess I would problems with the premise. I’m one of those tortured nerds that gets hung up hard on canon and continuity, and I can’t suspend disbelief until the premise of the show is reconciled with the known events of MCU continuity. (Unless they choose to disclaim canon status, like the “Legends” label in Star Wars.)

Don’t let that bother anyone here. It’s my burden. (Well, not just mine.)

At one point during the wonderful magic show instead of saying “I’m Illusion” he says “I’m an illusion”.

I haven’t watched most of the MCU movies (but for some reason like some of the non-CW Marvel and DC series.) Is Wanda not an extremely powerful reality-warper in the MCU?

Not just you. I won’t watch it (and potentially waste time) until I know it isn’t some dying dream fantasy/alien mind control/parallel reality/whatever. Those are bad enough in the comics - I don’t want or need that in the MCU movies/series, too.

She honestly has not had a lot of screen time or really explored much of her powers. In Endgame she was singlehandedly wrecking Thanos after he beat the crap out of Thor Iron Man and Cap though.

I think they really captured 1950’s/60’s TV sitcoms. I spotted call-outs to I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Bewitched, and I Dream of Jeanie. There were only two flaws regarding that for me:

1. The image is a LOT crisper and higher definition than TV’s of those times, even when they “degraded” the aspect ratio back to what it used to be in those days.

2. TV sitcoms were never that integrated back in the day. Sure, Ricky Ricardo actually was played by a Cuban guy, but that’s because he was the big star’s husband.

Regardless, this would be a somewhat banal homage to the history of sitcoms if it weren’t for the creepy things that happen in each episode.

Haven’t entirely decided how I feel about it, but I’m curious enough to be back next Friday.

What I was trying to figure out in the 2nd one was the toy helicopter she found. It was red and gold. I was trying to figure out if it was supposed to be evocative of Vision or Iron Man. But why would she need a color reminder of Vision when he’s in the “show”? And why in the world would it be Iron Man, which I thought the colors were more similar to? Peter Parker I can see mourning Tony, but I don’t know why Wanda would be more than Vision or her brother. Also the mention of the Stark toaster was another reference. Is she being held by BARF tech?

We’re watching the second one now. I’m finding it entertaining.

Google the Wiki on the show.

I think it’s all Wanda.

Really wish I could remember End Game. I don’t remember Wanda’s involvement in that movie. Or the mind stone. I might have to rewatch. Or see if I can find the highlight somewhere.

Here are the covers for the comics this might be loosely based on.

She was only there for a little bit of the final battle. She was kicking Thanos ass so he called in an air strike over his own troops.

The commercial in the first one said something like, “Forget your past!” as well. I am only just starting the second episode, but this is an illusion of sorts.

Bah.

I just watched two episodes of a short seasons series. Nearly an hour of a postmodern take on late 50’s-early 60’s hackneyed sitcom jokes set around two superheroes, with a couple of, “something’s not right here” moments that will mean something in hindsight. That’s far too much hackneyed to bear for too little reward, so far. Likable actors with (previously) interesting characters give them some leeway, but I wish they’d give us something for our troubles soon. I don’t do slow-burn TV mysteries ever since, “LOST” lost the thread.

I’ll admit, though: The bastards hooked me, for now. Now, I NEED to see what they think is so interesting that they’ll submit me to an hour (and likely more) of setup with just a few moments of hints of more interesting things to come. I’ll try to stick it out until that reveal, if I can. Clearly, this is all in Wanda’s mind, or given her talents, an invention of Wanda’s tortured mind that she’s made real. I’m wondering what reveal and subsequent plot turn could make it worth the pain of watching Vision and Wanda entertain his 1950’s era boss for dinner, and the wacky hi-jinks that ensued.

As for the IS HE ALIVE OR IS HE DEAD continuity issue, it’s kind of a non-starter for me. I figure he isn’t, and this is some way Wanda is coping with his death, and possibly some other traumatic event we haven’t seen yet. I just don’t want to spend ALL season in her cracked-up sitcom-soaked mind. This MAY not be the show for me. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, there’s a strong possibility that much or all of the season will be revealed and played out in the televisionscape of Wanda’s mind as we travel through the decades of TV-Land. I’m kind of hoping the TV facade will crack and fall away, but I guess it’s not that kind of show. Now we’ve reached the color era, so I eagerly await the clever jokes and witty banter reminiscent of the classic 60’s show, “The Mother-in-Laws”, and the like. Oh well, there’s a pandemic, I’ve got little else to watch.

The shit I put up with. :laughing:

In the MCU…mostly*…Wanda is a telekinetic written by someone who understands how @@@@ing powerful telekinesis really is. She BROKE Thanos sword. She tore apart his armor. She probably could have ripped him in half.

I think in the show someone will mention how she “moves stuff around. She tears things up. How is she doing this?”…and the response will be “She’s tearing reality apart.”

*She also gave the Avengers weird visions.

Vision at work having experiences without Wanda and that she was unaware of made any reveal of all in Wanda’s mind hard to pull off.

Im something of a comics expert up to about 2005 and still am greatly familiar with the big events after that…and other then the SWORD logo and seeing a cast list contain a couple of upcoming reveals…i really don’t know whats going on other then what everyone else is speculating. So kudos to the creators for creating such intrigue. I don’t know who Beekeeper Dude is, don’t particularly understand the helicopter other then it having a Sword Logo and Iron Man or Spider-Man colors.

Only other Easter Egg I spotted was when she lifted up the helicopter, there was definitely Twilight Zone like music playing.

I love it. And id watch a real sitcom with them all day long.

Nothing is what it seems.