WANTED: Songs about the end of Summer

I was thinking about making a mix CD with the loose concept of summer. Generally warm, poppy numbers to remind me of summer during the winter. Seeing as my opening track is about spring, I thought that it wouldn’t hurt to have the last track be about the end of summer. However, it’s been harder than I thought; the only thing that really comes to mind is the “Boys of Summer” cover by the ataris. So I’m asking the straight dope collective: know any songs about the end of summer? Remember, they’re to be poppy, upbeat numbers.

Kirsty MacColl’s “Last Day of Summer” from Titanic Days.

Hüsker Dü - Celebrated Summer

“The Last Good Day Of The Year” - Cousteau

“All Summer Long” by The Beach Boys would probably fit your criteria for something poppy and upbeat.

I can suggest some other “end of summer” songs but they’re probably more melancholy than what you’re looking for (e.g., “Summer Wind” by Frank Sinatra and “Summertime” by The Sundays).

Speaking of the ataris, their Summer '79 is also about the end of the summer…

“Our last day of summer, 1979 / Gotta live it up one time before it’s over / We will make history tonight” :smiley:

If a folksy song will work, I have a suggestion. This is definitely off the beaten path, but a song called “Summer Ran Away” by Glasnots comes to mind. Don’t expect any production. It’s just a raw studio cut.

Hearing the song always gives me a sense of loss. It reminds me that I’m in for another cold northern winter, but it goes further than that and makes me sad over great things that have to end.

Earth Wind and Fire had a snappy hit about the very last day of summer in September:

Abra Moore’s “Summer’s Ending”/

Jane’s Addiction, Summertime Rolls

Dar Williams’ End of the Summer

And probably the all-time-classic end of summer song, Urge for Going.

Pictures by Boomtang Boys (Or was it Venga Boys? One of them…)

Beach Babyby Canadian Lighthouse

Wonderful Summer, by Robin Ward.

This song made me cry when I was young. You have to hear it to appreciate it…in a 60s kind of way…

http://www.lyricsxp.com/lyrics/w/wonderful_summer_robin_ward.html

Boys of Summer by Don Henley and also covered in a neat techno remix type thing by DJ Sammy, I believe.

Summer Lovin’ from Grease

Two of my songs were mentioned after my first post was eaten, but I can still put in the other ones I had :

Counting Crows :
“Daylight Fading” - (from Recovering the Satellites)
“Hard Candy” - (from album of same name), though it’s about more than just remembering summer.
“August and Everything After” might fit, but it’s unreleased (lyrics are released, though).

U2 : “Summer Rain” (a B-side to “Beautiful Day”)

“Try to Remember” (from ‘The Fantasticks’, sung by various groups)

Summer Song by Chad and Jeremy

The Underdog Project - Summer Jam
The Dove Shack - Summertime in the LBC

Urge for Going by Joni Mitchell

“I awoke today and found the frost perched on the town
It hovered in a frozen sky and it gobbled summer down
When the sun turns traitor cold
And all the trees are shivering in a naked row
I get the urge for going but I never seem to go”

Blasphemy!!!

Suddenly Last Summer by The Motels