WANTED: Songs about the end of Summer

Last Rose of Summer - Judas Priest. Not exactly “pop” but not a real grinder either. I guess you could say it shows the lighter side of Priest.

Summer Nights - Van Halen. Always a fav’

Variations on “The Last Rose of Summer” - Heinrich Ernst
Im Sommerwind - Anton Webern
Summer Music - Samuel Barber
Les Nuits D’Ete - Hector Belioz

I’ll suggest The LAst Day Of Summer by The Cure, though it isn’t particularly poppy and certainly not upbeat. It’s more dark introspective Cure than Friday I’m In Love Cure.

ABBA–Our Last Summer

There’s an old Johnny Mercer song with the title Early Autumn which has the added distinction of having been written at about the time the big bands were folding up. The mixture of nostalgia about the season and the big band era in the lyrics makes it especially poignant, and therefore possibly out of context for the CD you want to make.

OTOH, being aware of these lyrics could make you want to hear more of Mercer. Already mentioned in this thread is another of his moody pieces, The Summer Wind.

For my money, nobody has ever crammed as much imagery and emotion into as few words as Mercer. His output was phenomenal and it’s no exaggereation to say that except for Cole Porter, Ira Gershwin and perhaps a handful of others, nobody symbolizes The Great American Songbook more than he.

For full lyrics to a song that really must be heard with its haunting melody to be appreciated, go here.

Kind of about summer:

The Earls: Remember Then.

Hot Fun in the Summertime - Sly and the Family Stone.

Standing on the Edge of Summer by Thursday

The Doors: Summer’s Almost Gone

Summer’s End by Amorphis.

“Belong” By “Remy Zero”. Doesn’t remind you of high summer, but those contented warm evenings spent happily with good friends. Although that could just be me. (If you do get this song, tell me what you think about it)

“Oh Yeah” by Ash

I think Neil Diamond did a song called Summer Love. It’s romantic.

Also, the Drifters’ Under the Boardwalk

“See you in September” by The Happenings.

See You in September is actually about the beginning of summer.

My favorite is The Summer Knows from the movie The Summer of '42:

http://www.nanamouskouri.de/thesumme.htm

Love those last lines – “One last caress – It’s time to dress for fall.” (Marilyn and Alan Bergman)

I’m glad to know that someone else does “season” tapes!

Don’t forget Spill the Wine – Eric Burdon & War.

:cool:

That song’s been in my head the last few days. Good song but now it needs to leave.

…Also “Indian summer” by the Doors.

One for the road:
Summer Breeze – Seals and Crofts

if you don’t want summer to end howzabout

ENDLESS SUMMER!!! by Scooter.