WANTED: Songs about the end of Summer

Well, Marlow did say it was a cover. Besides, that version’s pretty good.

There’s also “After the Summer’s Gone”, by PC Quest. Oh yeaaah.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I’m in the process of checking them out, and when I do, I’ll tell y’all what I thought of them.

Personally, I hate it when a poster doesn’t provide any feedback for his post.

Bob Seger’s “Night Moves”

D’oh! I sorta thought that after replying. You’re right.

How about another chance, then?

Weather Report Suite

• Grateful Dead

My vote goes for David’s Last Summer by Pulp. Jarvis Cocker always manages to add a sort of twist to his lyrics that I love.
It’s the last track on the 1994 album HIS ‘N’ HERS.

Endless summer nights -Richard Marx

Hot summer night - Meatloaf

Summer of 69 - John Melloncamp

I know it’s supposed to be a collection of summer songs for the winter but “Long December” by the counting crows is a cool song too.

“It must be Summer”, by Fountains of Wayne. Although it’s not so much an end of summer tune, it nonetheless, while very poppy, injects a lot of bittersweet and a general feeling of “ending” so that it might be appropriate.

Cheryl Wheeler’s Summer’s Almost Over

Weather Report Suite doesn’t really cut it, but US Blues does:

“Summer time done come and gone, my oh my…”

I’ve always been partial to “Nightswimming” by REM, which isn’t really ABOUT the end of summer, but seems to hint at it (what with lines like “September’s coming soon…” and so on). Either way, it’s a great track.

It’s not a summer song, per se, but Barenaked Ladies “Pinch Me” always reminds me of summer, probably because of the line:

If that doesn’t describe every summer of my life age five to age 12, I don’t know what does.

Nightswimming - R.E.M.

“Nightswimming…
Remembering that night…
September’s coming soon…
I’m pining for the moon…”
(Of course, there is a figurative as well as a literal aspect to the lyrics, as with many “end of summer” songs.)

Back to School by Deftones.

Here’s another, this one’s by **Sandy Denny **, it’s called Who Knows Where the Time Goes?

Summertime Blues—The Who
Seasons in the Sun—Jacques Brel ( I don’t remember the singer who did the insipid American version from the '70s.)

That’d be Terry Jacks, who covered Seasons in the sun. And many people hate him for it.

Not specifically the end of summer, but ‘cool’ to include as an instrumental with summer feeling: Albatross by Fleetwood Mac.

Zoe nailed a major favorite already - esp. since you particularly said the END of summer. Mmmm The Summer Knows - my parents had a Ferrente & Teicher recording of the soundtrack that I loved even as a young child!

For something more recent, Koop’s strangely named Relaxin’ At Club F**n from “Waltz for Koop” is excellent; and their first track on that same album is very summery as well.

I can’t remember the title but it goes something like…

Those were the lazy, hazy days of summer…

Very close. Nat King Cole had a hit with Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days Of Summer: “Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer. . .”

Thank you Walloon
You nailed the song I was trying to remember.