Was Cary Grant gay.

:confused: Are you serious, or is this a whoosh? I mean, it’s not like we’re sterile.

Allen Sherman (the Weird Al of the 1960’s) did a parody of the song “Call Me” that ended:

And then, when you reach Cary Grant
Tell him I’d love to, but I just can’t.

It took me year to figure about what those lyrics were really saying.

The picutres of him in Life (I think) magazine with Randolph Scott doing the dishes while wearing matching aprons should erase any doubt :wink:

Yet for all his stinginess/cheapness, he was (from everything I’ve ever read) the only Barbara Hutton ex-husband who wouldn’t accept alimony.

VCNJ~

Money. Less paid in rent meant more available for investment, besides which mansions are bloody expensive and high maintenance. Scott’s real estate and oil investments made him one of the richest men in show business (richer than Grant even). And the infamous - photospread - (can’t find the aprons/dishes one but it’s out there somewhere) was staged and arranged by a publicist in a less suspicious time. These weren’t candid shots.

This isn’t saying they weren’t making the judy judy judy with two or one backs, just that there’s a good reason for sharing a house (mansions are expensive) and that they weren’t necessarily doing so. While Dyan Cannon has always struck me as a total flake who’s opinion I wouldn’t trust on anything, Sophia Loren’s affair with Grant was actually kept secret at the time and speaks more to his hetero nature. It’s possible he was bi, but it’s taken too much for granted he was gay.

Well it is possible for two male actors to be very close and not be lovers- for example, Marlon Brando and Wally Cox :wink:

The hell? Gay men and women have kids all the time - often the other parent of said children is someone from the other gender. I’m pretty certain that at least a few gay men and women have had sex with people of the opposite gender. Gay men and women have even (gasp!) been married to members of the other gender, sometimes for years and years.

This is one of the weirder things I’ve read on the SDMB.

I’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Well, Scott and Grant had shared digs when they first came to Hollywood as poor wannabes and became close friends. I can see living with a buddy between marriages. Cox and Brando were childhood friends who lived together in New York, probably for the same money-saving reason. Between the four of them they went through about ten wives and countless girlfriends so, if any of them were bi, they weren’t particularly so.

Oh, thank goodness. I was wondering whether it was everyone else’s Sar-Chasm-Meter that was broken or if my Cynical Module was is overdrive.

According to a mid-1990’s article in Spy magazine, Chase is an heir to the Crane plumbing fixtures fortune. Did the lawsuit predate this?

Of course not, he’d probably just beat the crap out of you with a golf club.

[sub]I kid, Jack![/sub]

So he shared a house? As strange as it seems today, maybe in the 1930s it was less suggestive than it would be today.

The lawsuit was in 1980, when Caddyshack had either just come out or was in post-production. I’ve no idea when Chase received his inheritance or what the terms are, but at the time he certainly would not have been wealthy from his acting career. He had only done Foul Play and Oh Heavenly Dog since leaving Saturday Night Live, which only paid him $750 per week for performing and a lesser amount for writing.

In a 2004 interview for the Turner Classic Movies production Cary Grant: A Class Apart, Grant’s third wife, Betsy Drake, mocked the rumors, saying, “I didn’t have time to think about his homosexuality. We were too busy fucking”.

Gee, some statements in this thread have made me now virtually certain that every frat boy, boy scout, military guy, etc is Gay. Let’s throw the Rat Pack in the group, eh?

There are lots of reasons to live with someone else. It isn’t all finances. Since time began men have been spending lots and lots of time together in ways that specifically exclude females. However, two handsome, youngish, single stars sharing a big house with a rockin’ pool, probably a killer bar, etc. Sounds like an adult frat house to me.

I’d think that Cary Grant had the earlier day equivalent of the Laminated List. Except he WAS the list. And anyone who approached him that could provide such list, was able to partake of such pleasures.

In a perfect world where we could taste the forbidden fruit, if just to have the knowledge for a moment…

In a perfect world none of us would give a fiddlers about who is doing what with whom.

Was Grant gay? Probably not, no. Was he bi-sexual. Probably not, no. Did he have a homosexual daliance? Who the hell knows.

One of the problems of the internet age is that anything, no matter how questionable the vercity, that even suggests a dead celebrity was gay is considered evidence that indeed he or she was gay. Witness Wikipedia and the tortured efforts by many editors to paint all celebrities as being gay.

I liked Sampiro’s logical analysis. We need more of that.

Ya think?