Watching the internets on the teevee

This might be better suited for Cafe Society, but I think it has a factual answer, so here goes:

I want to use my 52" LCD TV as a monitor for a computer on which to watch NHL Center Ice.

How would I accomplish this?

Also, considering centerice.com is designed to be viewed through a much smaller [computer] screen, would I experience significant lag/pixilation/overall viewing degradation, or would it work ok?

Thanks

dammit, I meant to put this in GQ.

Sorry.

Moved to General Questions.

It all depends on what inputs the TV has. Some TVs actually have a VGA input, so you could just plug it into your computer. Otherwise, it would depend on what outputs your computer has. Some computers have a composite output. If so, you can just plug that into your TV. Otherwise, you’d need something to convert whatever output the computer has to one of the inputs that the TV has. I believe there are VGA to composite converters, for example.

Examine your computer. There’s a chance it has an HDMI output.

If not, it probably has a DVI output, which is the same thing as a HDMI output minus the sound. In that case, you’ll have to get a DVI/HDMI adapter and a 1/8" audio to RCA audio cable. I’d recommend www.monoprice.com for both of these.

thank you both.

so if I have an HDMI output on the cpu, it would be better to connect the TV to the cpu with an HDMI cable?

Yes, a using a HDMI cable is the simplest way of doing it if they both have HDMI inputs/outputs.

thanks everyone

Just don’t waste your money on an expensive HDMI cable. You can buy one from here for $3.18.

Will there be a noticeable difference? What about on Hulu or YouTube? Assuming a good video card and an HDMI (or DVI-HDMI) connection.

I can’t find anything about the resolution of centerice. YouTube varies. Hulu only goes up to 480p. This chart will tell you how much resolution matters.

You’re right, YouTube is all over the map, but you can tell the better/general quality videos online as well. Are you saying that as long as it’s (whether Hulu, centerice, or any other service) 480, it will look like regular no-frills SD channels via the cablebox – not fantastic quality, but not sub-par and unwatchable?

I am. Fortunately, YouTube is going to be rolling out 1080p soon.

But your post reminds me I left out part of it. When your TV receives a 480p signal, it does the upconverting* itself. The computer won’t be sending the 480p signal–it will upconvert before it sends it to the TV.

In my experience, computers generally do a better job, so that is a bit of bonus. But with the higher compression usually used online, it may not be noticeable.

*What it sounds like. Converting the signal from the lower 480p resolution to the 720p or 1080p of your HDTV screen.

Just wondering, is there an advantage to using HDMI vs VGA? I’ve used VGA for the past several years and the picture looks fantastic, especially when I play blu-ray files on my media player. Am I still getting 1080p resolution assuming my TV offers 1080p? (which it does)

One advantage with HDMI is that you’re delivering video and sound in one cable, whereas with VGA you’ll need a separate cable for sound. I’m not sure about video quality, though.