We 99ers--a Straight Dope Longtimers Poll & Scrapbook.

He’s still trying. Can’t find the thread, but he announced that he’s running again in a Canadian politics thread in GD, started by some fat weirdo.

Go, matt, go!

Why yes, vividly. The God Wars were what brought me in here, and after looking over some of the threads, you were in them pretty thick too. So was were some other people whom, frankly, I’m glad I don’t see anymore.

I remember snapping on Adam once, and him saying that I had made a big impact on him, and he emailed me saying the same thing … but then he kept on getting in theological knife fights. Wonder where he is.

I just passed my 5 year anniversary, member #207 here.

And I did a search last night. I have the oldest OP that can be verified by a signature.

I am the OP of Thread Number 8. Threads 1 through 7 do not have any identifying names attached to the OP.

I was such a newbie, I signed mine. I’m glad I did now.

And I even got a response from Cecil!

Yep, I’m an old AOHell refugee. I remember the pushpin background and the AOL boards. When they moved the board over here my thought was that I was done with the board - that I would not take the time to go to the web to post on the board.

Speaking of old time posters, I miss Monty . We were on opposite sides of most religious issues, but when it came down to it, he had a great sense of humor and we had fun in some of the threads. Anyone know what happened to him or where he is now? If you know where he is, tell him his “post-Mormon” buddy and cadolphin say hi.

It’s been a long, strange ride.

PLDennison was a great doper. Even though he was more of a Pit/GD person, he was smurt. Whatever happened to him? Burn out?

God yes. It greives me to think about how Arg would be received around here today. I think Arg’s presence on the SDMB caused much mutual growth.

What about TNHIPPIE? Or IMTHECOWGODMOO? Any word from them?

Oo, oo!

I am a genuine member of an elite group!

I am a Neener Neener!

We should get tee shirts.

Or hats.

I remember the three consecutive long assed Theism vs Atheism threads. Really good ones, too.

And I remember the pit thread on geometry. Great stuff!

And the brief, but poignant ninja haiku thread.

The great God Invasion, and those who were left behind, to become actual dopers. Thanks, folks.

And the same three objects are under my current monitor that were there when I offered them up for remote viewing, although there are some double A batteries, and a clock there now too. No takers, so far.

Tris

I remember people like Kellibelli and Officegirl, Canthearya, Auraseer, and SwimmingRiddles (known to us as Swiddles).

I joined while on AOL, but changed to this name later. I remember Satan, and I mostly remember the big brain graphic that came up when you used the keyword “straight dope”. I really liked how the archives were categorized.

Mahaloth

Actually, I probably won’t be. We’re holding a full nomination process in the riding, and unless the party needs me to do so, I won’t be standing for nomination. But I will stay on as president of the riding association, and I may stand for office again in the future.

The Great Name Change(where I learned not to drink and post at the same time)
Contestant #3(aka Krispy Original)
Left Behind
Mr. Ruda Duda

Thanks for the wonderful reminders, ya bozos and bozoettes-over three freakin’ years of psychotherapy down the drain, because y’all want to stumble down memory lane. :smiley:

• Well I am posting because I don’t remember a lot of people, but that don’t matter. Because I can. …And I was always kinda bummed that some people from the AOL bard never moved to the web board. And I don’t remember more than a couple of them now, and refuse to re-install AOL to go looking for them.
        ~

And just what the hell is that supposed to mean? :wink:

I remember (I’m actually a little scared to mention his name) Mark Serlin, Sentinel, and whatever the hell the rest of his socks were named, his fascination with poofy hair, his phobia of fat chicks, and the great social experiment (which I understand is still going on, which is why I was reticent to mention him by name, lest I summon him like the devil).

I remember the banning of C#3 and his returns as Martyr#7, Cheiflaffitup, and finally Krispy Original (which, for some reason, was never banned).

I remember the board before the addition of the Great Debates, Cafe Society, and IMHO forums. I actually kinda miss how a question in GQ could evolve into a debate without having to be shuffled hither and yon.

I also remember how HTML and images were allowed before some jerks took advantage of it (for example the person who hacked the board to black out the banner ads at the top of the page).

Finally, I remember the secret agents (FORMERAGENT, The Finder, et al)–definitely my favorite invasion. Not only were they fun to ferret out, they added a little surreality to the boards. There aren’t enough guys in tinfoil hats hanging around these days. :wink:

Glad to see I’m not the only veteran with an absurdly low post-count (although even you aren’t quite down to my level.)

Amen to your “Founding Father” idea!

The whole Phaedrus debacle is what sticks out in my mind from those early days. Also I came in at the tail-end of Melin-gate, so I had quite a time figuring out what was going on with that.

David B was also a major voice on the board back then, and I miss his comments.

All the memories. I put my first thread in the wrong forum. Lynn moved it immediately. I felt special. Then when I realized I wasn’t I felt like an idiot.

I didn’t realize that there were so many of us '99ers! I still sometimes feel like a newcomer, even though I’ve got plenty of posts and have been here for what? 4-1/2 years?

The first thread I participated in was a (guess ;)) vegetarian thread. (Some vegetarian basher started a rant, I asked him why the hell he cared what the hell the rest of us ate.) I remember my first impressions of this board were that—damn!—people correct each other’s spelling a lot, don’t they? It took me a while to settle into this board, but once I did, I was hooked.

I also remember greeting Libertarian (when he first got here) with great enthusiasm because I (stupidly) thought he must have been the same Libertarian of another board that I’d just left (it was closed down). Our Lib said, no, he wasn’t the same guy, but he thanked me for the welcome.

I remember the M. Serlin thing too, and all his incarnations.

Hmm. Well, I’m more of a professional lurker, I guess, and there’ve been times when I’ve taken a hiatus from the SDMB for various lengths (and reasons), but I remember a few things. I remember being drawn to the atheism debates in GD and participating (hesitantly), coming away with a great deal of respect for many. I remember the short-lived television show, and finding the Dope on AOL using my sister’s computer (before I got my own). I missed Melingate, but was here for the Left Behind debacle; I remember the inception of the IMHO and Cafe Society fora.

Luckily enough, I returned from my most recent sojourn away just in time to realize how much I like this place, so the pay to post decision was a nobrainer for me.

I remember PapaBear dominating things when I first joined. Not only did he know everything about everything, but he was the first (IIRC) to reach 1,000 posts. After almost five years I’m still chasing that record.

I also miss Eris, the first doper I met in person. She disappeared from the boards years ago, but I still hear from her from time to time. I’ve seen people mention Satan, but what about DrainBead? Are they still together? I still rank her revelation that most of Emily Dickinson’s poems can be sung to the theme from Gilligan’s Isle to be the best thing I have learned here.

What about Michelle. later Cyndar, the vet tech from Florida? And SqrlCub? We should have another thread for “Old Dopers: Where are they now?”.

As holder of user ID# 41, I support that idea! (I’m still waiting to hear if it’s possible to properly ressurect it!)