We don't need no steeeenk-ing Badges!!!

I only know this line as a parody. I don’t know where it originally comes from. Any help?

Sure, it’s from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

The actual line is “We don’t need no badges. I don’t have to show you any stinking badges.” It’s like “Play it again, Sam,” in that it’s one of the most famous lines in movie history that was never said.

And a few other rendentions taken from various places on the net:

“Wizards and Warriors” (1983) – “Badgers? Badgers? You don’t need no stinking badgers. You need knives.”
“O.C. and Stiggs” (1986) – “Badges? We don’t need no stinking badges! We got souvenirs!”
“3rd Rock From the Sun” (1998) – “Bagels? Bagels? We don’t need no stinking bagels!”

for a bunch more references…
http://www.darryl.com/badges/

E3

And a few other rendentions taken from various places on the net:

“Wizards and Warriors” (1983) – “Badgers? Badgers? You don’t need no stinking badgers. You need knives.”
“O.C. and Stiggs” (1986) – “Badges? We don’t need no stinking badges! We got souvenirs!”
“3rd Rock From the Sun” (1998) – “Bagels? Bagels? We don’t need no stinking bagels!”

for a bunch more references…
http://www.darryl.com/badges/

What are you guys talking about? “Badges!? We don’t need no stinkin’ badges!” is from Blazing Saddles and is actually said.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0071230/quotes

Umm, check the release date on Sierra Madre, mate. Mel Brooks was referencing the original line, though, as Labdad mentions, he doesn’t quote it verbatim. (Him and everybody else, for the most part.)

The original line in Casablanca, IIRC, was “Play it, Sam. You played it for her, you can play it for me.” But everyone misremembers it as “Play it again, Sam.” Same same with the skeenkeen batches.

Or did I done got whooshed good?

I think that most people who utter that line are referencing Blazing Saddles, not Sierra Madre. So, I’d say most people reference the line correctly, just not from the original movie.

Also spoofed as a “badgers” version in UHG

The primary Internet resource for references to “Stinking Badges”

We don’t need no stinking badgers was also in Weird Al’s UHF.

Another commonly misremembered line is “Luke, I am your father” from The Empire Strikes Back.

siberia, that was a hilarious site. I had no idea…

“Stinking Badges” website? “Stinking Badges” website? We don’t need no “Stinking Badges” website!

:slight_smile:

I disagree. Why would anyone quote this particular line in Blazing Saddles? It’s only interesting or humorous if your familiar with Treasure of Sierra Madre. If you’re not familiar with the earlier movie, the line in BS is not at all note-worthy, and there’s be no reason to repeat it.

Miller,

I think you’re wrong on this one. Cheesesteak hit the nail on the head. I would venture to say that most people are erroneously quoting Blazing Saddles, thinking that’s the source of the line.

To use your own argument, “the line in [ToSM] is not at all note-worthy, and there’s be no reason to repeat it”. Actually the line is very funny in Blazing Saddles. Plus Blazing saddles has probably been seen a LOT more that ToSM, and it has been seen more recently by (most of) those people that have seen both.

E3

Personally, I’ve only vaguely heard of the other movie and quote Blazing Saddles. And it was funny as hell in context.

Hmm, I coulda sworn it was:

Luke: He said you killed my father!
Vader: No, Luke. I am your father.

Then again, I coulda sworn I saw “Episode IV: A New Hope” in the opening crawl. In retrospect, I did see it, but it must have been a re-release, after the movie’s original run.

Darth Vader: If you only knew the power of the Dark Side. Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke Skywalker: He told me enough! He told me you killed him.
Darth Vader: No. I am your father.
Luke Skywalker: No! That’s not true! That’s impossible!

Re: Treasure of the Sierra Madre vs Blazing Saddles.

Obviously, ToSM is the original source. But to which move one intends to be “quoting” when they utter the badges line probably is age related. For example, I know the line was used in Blazing Saddles, but since I know that usage was a rip-off of the original, in my head and in my heart I pay homage to ToSM when I use or hear the badges line. But I’m an old fart.

Younger people might not have ever even seen ToSM and are quoting Blazing Saddles in their head and heart.

No disrespect towards Blazing Saddles…but you’re almost certainly right, and that makes me very sad.

Hey!

Everybody!

Go out and rent Treasure of the Sierra Madre right now! Gather your family around and pop a big ol’ bowl of corn!

You’re in for a GREAT time!

Whaddaya mean? There weren’t any farts in Treasure of the Sierra Madre, were there? Don’t tell me that Blazing Saddles ripped off that scene, too!