We don't talk about that here, thank you. House rule.

This is true. Suggesting otherwise is the only know way to incite nerd rage in me.

The first five Amber books are, frankly, overrated - at least compared to much of Roger Zelazny’s other output. That said, the concept is great, and they’re a fun read.

The second five Amber books, though, I’d rather not talk about. Zelazny should have spent the 80’s writing sequels to* Creatures of Light and Darkness *or *Roadmarks *instead.

Zoe somebody. She looked a lot better when she was bright blue, mostly nekkid, and had big golden cat eyes, imo. Not saying she looks bad normally, but blue was a good look for her.

Uh, my post said I liked Temple of Doom, not hated it.

Oh, don’t rely on Wikipedia only. He talks about it quite a bit on the DVD special features.

And in this exchange in an interview, he confirms his feelings:

I thought of a few more.

King Kong has never had a sequel, official or otherwise, and has never been remade.

Starship Troopers was made into a single film with a satirical take on it’s messages, there were no sequels.

Predator never received a sequel, and despite the popularity of the video games no AVP movie was ever produced.

Tom & Jerry’s last cartoon together was in 1958, no cheap Deitch cartoons, and no watered down 60’s cartoons, and most definitely no movies.

None of the other Hannibal Lector novels were ever adapted to screen.

There were two Exorcist films, the original and a in name only sequel based on an unrelated novel.

After Bruce Lee’s tragic death the Chinese film industry respectfully moved on and never made another film using footage of him or lookalikes.

There were two Jurassic Park films, neither involved a T. Rex rampaging in L.A.

Sea Hunt was never remade in the 80’s

Following the Ron Ely series no Tarzan television shows were produced until Disney’s The Legend of Tarzan

EDIT:

Yes, but your post implied that Temple is commonly hated, I had never heard that hate before which is why I asked.

Some people, but not me, talk about a fifth book in the Hitchhiker’s Guide trilogy, in which Douglas Adams says a big FU to his fans by killing off all the characters with multidimensional finality, then leaves a loophole, then closes that loophole by dying himself.

I’m not sure what it is about Temple of Doom that makes it so bad. It could be the racism, but there’s a certain amount of that in Raiders as well. I’d say it was more the reliance of gross-out scenes to compensate for the lack of a coherent story or any likeable characters, other than Indy himself. (If I spoke Hindi or had been to India, I might feel differently though. I know I liked Tomb Raider at least partly because I’d been to Siem Reap, Cambodia and recognized some of the locations.)

TV Tropes, covers this with Fanon Discontinuity.

Really? When?

I acknowledge that there was a film titled Starship Troopers, but it didn’t bear any particular relationship to the book, so it’s perfectly correct to say that Starship Troopers has never been made into a movie. Likewise, for I, Robot, or several other SF classics.

On Temple of Doom, isn’t it made explicit within the movie itself that what’s being depicted isn’t real Indian culture? I seem to recall that being Indy’s first indication that something was wrong: The gross-out feast in an area that was supposed to be mostly vegetarian.

Charlie Brown never missed out on meeting the Little Red Haired Girl because he was reading Gulliver’s Travels on New Year’s Eve. And Linus never found out her name was Heather.

We talk about the third Alien movie all the time here. I especially like how Hicks was the only guy secure enough in his manhood to try to co-habitat with Ripley once they got back to Earth. Hubby likes to harp on how social services would have never let a single woman prone to such violence raise a small child. The whole family agrees that a grown Newt and older but still tee-shirty wearing Ripley kicking the snot out of that ET bitch after she followed them to Earth and grew her nasty brood in the Old New York that lay a mile under New New York was the coolest thing ever.

The next-gen version of Dallas (which we’ll probably end up not speaking of) reminds me that in the original version of Dallas we must never speak of Bobby Ewing’s death, his miraculous resurrection, and especially not of the lame “it was all a dream” hand-waving that invalidated an entire season of other plot and character developments.

We can, however, say that the final episode of Newhart gave a shred of dignity to that unforgivable plot device.

It also wrecked the continuity on Knotts Landing. I saw a show in which they said that Duffy wanted to come back as did the original EP. Duffy got a deal which lead to Step by Step.

What the hell are you talking about? That was all they did in the fifth season! Just the press, no cops at all.

I love this thread. That is all.

Temple of Doom had a wise-talking kid sidekick, and HE WASN’T THE WORST PART OF THE MOVIE. It was that bad.

I really enjoyed the four books in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy “trilogy.” They were mostly harmless. Actually, Mostly Harmless would have been a good title for a fifth book in the series. If Douglas Adams had written a fifth book in the series. Which he didn’t.

Yep, I really enjoyed those four books.

It has been said, Skald, that the post Apocalypse Now work of Francis Ford Coppola causes stigmata and weeping in certain statues of the Virgin Mary. My very own grandmother, may God rest her soul, witnessed such a statue after a free screening of Jack.

I do not believe in such nonsense, of course, but out of respect I never mention them in normal, polite day-to-day conversation.

One day I woke up in a strange universe where they’d turned *Fallout *into a Diablo-like action game called “Brotherhood of Steel”, of all things. It was a console exclusive, too. Then I woke up again, this time in the real world.
Dreams are very strange sometimes.

I also get weird brain stutters, I guess you could call it* vraiment jamais vu* - the eerie, but thankfully ephemeral, notion that you vividly remember an event having taken place when it really hasn’t. Like, I once spent a whole morning remembering a scene from the movie *Terminator 3 *- but of course they only ever made two Terminator movies. The mind’s a tricky thing that way, it’ll fool you and you won’t even know.

I had this weird dream that the present and the past, they were both in the future! Also, Lizard Babies.

Hey, I liked One From the Heart.
Granted, it had one of the lowest percentage return on investment in the history of film (2.45%), and that it actually caused FFC to make all those aforementioned films to pay off his debt. But still…