We have a puppy.

It is a long haired Chihuahua. Officially, his name is Tuco, after the character in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I have been referring to him as Doglet. He is 9 weeks old and a tiny thing.
My mother thought my daughter would benefit from a companion animal and here we are. He is a nice little dog.

You know, when one clicks on a thread with a title like this one has certain expectations. Expectations you have failed to deliver on. You must correct this at once.

I presume you mean a picture. I don’t have an account that would allow me to anonymously link to a photo.

The Chihuahua is my favorite small dog breed.

He is an friendly, affectionate little guy. Relatives of mine had Chihuahuas back in the 70s, and I remember them as angry, nervous little dogs who hated the whole world save their owner. I hope his personality doesn’t change as he matures.

Not unsolvable… :dubious:

We’ll wait. :stuck_out_tongue:

Congratulations on the puppy.

And TinyPic. Unless they’ve changed their policies, you don’t have to be a member to upload a picture and get a URL for it. So you just link that URL in your post on here.

I WANT TO SEE A TINY LONG HAIRED CHIHUAHUA!!!

Please.

I like chihuahuas. They have personality. Being angry and nervous is a function of being tiny among giants. Help him to trust that no one will hurt him or step on him. Perhaps it would be good for your daughter to think of herself as his protector.

I used to think the same thing. But when I started going to the dog park with my dachshund I got to know a number of Chihuahuas, and they are as varied as any dog. Most are friendly little beasts though, it’s all in how they are socialized.

Glad to hear you have a dog!:slight_smile:

Is his full name Tuco Benedicto Pacífico Juan María Ramirez?

If you get a couple of other pets in the mix (dog or cat), you can call them Blondie and Angel Eyes, and have the whole cast.

I am disappoint.

Do eeeeeeeet!!!

I realize this is unsolicited advice but here it is:)

-We had to put a ferret collar on ours because of his size

-attach a four ft groomers leash to him and allow him to drag the leash around. This will get him used to the leash and collar and if he decides to try and potty inside you grab the end of the leash and guide him outside. Scruffing a dog during potty training is not good, it causes fear or aggression to hands later on. Chihuahua act like little bad asses but they really scare easily.

-Try not to carry him around, allowing him to drag the leash and experience the world with you. Many small dog owners will carry their little friend around and the dog will become protective cause that is all they know.

-We are dog trainers and veterinarians so if you have questions along the way please feel free to PM me.

Congrats

Is the pup covered in scum?

Happy New Puppy Year.

My chihuahua is not angry or nervous or yappy. He is the sweetest little thing.

I have 3 Chis and none of them are angry. The oldest girl is nervous but I think she has cause to be: when you run your hands down her ribcage you can feel where her ribs were broken. She and the boy are rescues so no real history on them. So she might have been stepped on or might have been hit by a car.

They do bark their heads off when someone comes home or to visit. But that’s ok because the parrot is the one who gets the hootin’ and hollerin’ going. Eventually the Chis attempt to howl which is so incredibly cute.

The main thing I worked on with the 2 rescues (and am still working on) is “no jumping on people”. Unfortunately people think it’s cute being mobbed by tiny affectionate critters so they allow it while I’m saying “Off, get Off! Sit!”

Tiny dogs mean tiny bladders.

But the main thing to really remember is… they are dogs. Tiny but still needing all the training a big dog would. And the socialization a big dog gets. Things like meeting different sized people, other dogs or cats and being in different places (once the vax are all done, of course).

And crate train him! Even if it’s just a hard sided cat carrier. We have several crates that we use when leaving the house for more than a few hours. Normally the doors are left open and both the dogs and the cats like crawling into them to rest. But it also means any overnight Vet visits won’t be even more traumatic because everyone is used to being in a cage.

Just remember this.