We have Warped our daughter

My son had a D&D character before he was born. I’m afraid it HAS warped him. He’s 20 now, so I don’t think there’s really any hope.

I didn’t see the Smith/Ronstadt/Kline version of Pirates until just a few years ago. If I’d grown up with it (like my wife did), I probably would have loved it. Getting to know it now, I found the synthesizer score and the Broadway style voices extremely grating. Kevin Kline was, of course, exceptional, but I’ve never been able to get past the other stuff. Okay, call me a purist or a snob, but I can’t hear it without cringing.

On the other hand, the Opera World video I have of Pirates is quite good musically. All except for their Pirate King, who was dreadful. Trying to be Kevin Kline and failing miserably. He came off as entirely too swishy.

Since I don’t have the Kevin Kline version, I play my D’Oyly Carte CDs in the car so that Katy will be raised knowing how The Pirate King is supposed to sound. Donald Adams rules!

Genie: One of the reasons why my daughter latched on to Pirates so tightly is that I’ve been singing her the Pirate King’s song since she was in utero. My wife and I were performing in a production of Pirates when Katy was conceived. Well, not at the exact moment, but you know what I mean. And I was cast as the Pirate King. I’ve never enjoyed any role more than that one.

I haven’t gotten my daughter into Dragonlance or Lovecraft (though I am a Forgotten Realms fan), but we are complete Potter-heads. I’ve been reading Sorcerer’s Stone to her as at bedtime.

But it does.

(Or maybe it’s just that I’m hanging out (heh, heh) with the wrong crowd.)

Oh, the quality on it is crap–we have the DVD, which means it’s super digital crap–but it’s worth it just for Kevin Kline’s chest and almost-overacting. But then it was the first one I saw, so maybe that’s why I love it.

How DO you pronounce cthulhu?

Preferable with your mouth full of noodles.

And very, very quietly.

I have been thinking about starting a double entendre thread for some time.
If I do, yours will be the first entry (‘entry’ - :smiley: )

A man walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre. So the barmaid gives him one.

(Thank you, I’m here all week)