We just called the pound . . .

Got up this morning to find a couple of strange dogs wandering around our yard and barn. Mr. S went out to try to shoo them away, but they were very friendly and came right up to him, tails wagging. They are a white bull terrier-looking dog (with collar and no tags) and a smallish brown/black shepherd-looking dog (no collar). Both have slight injuries in their noses/ears/legs, as if they have been fighting, whether with other animals or each other I have no idea, though they seem to get along.

We called the vet, and he knew nothing about missing dogs. Next try was Mr. S’s brother next door (about 1/4 mile up the road), who said that it sounded like the people who are living in the Bumpus house on the other side of him.

. . .

Oh, the Bumpus house. I’ve written about its occupants before. There was the extended family whose diapered children frequently played in the gravel at the end of the driveway, unsupervised, while cars whizzed by on our rural road at 55+ mph. Whose dogs frequently wandered into our yard to torment our dogs.

They were finally foreclosed on and moved out, and the house has been for sale since then. For about a year the house was occupied, presumably by renters, from whom we never heard a peep. They seemed like nice people and took good care of the place from what we could tell.

But now they’re gone and the place seem to be occupied by some guys who may be doing further work on the place (it’s still for sale), and presumably that’s whose dogs these are.

. . .

So Mr. S drove up the road to tell these people to come get their dogs. Nobody home. Nobody home and their dogs are running around loose with no tags. Great.

By then I had managed to coax both of them into our dog kennels, but not before the brown one had snapped at Mr. S’s gloved hand (he had allowed Mr. S to pet him before). Not good either.

So then we called the sheriff’s department, who had us call the local pound. He said they would have to verify whether the dogs are vaccinated and licensed (I’m gonna guess not), and the owners will probably have to pay a hefty fee to get them back. They said it’s often a wake-up call to owners that they can’t just let their dogs run around loose.

The guy from the pound just showed up and collected the dogs. I asked whether the owners would know who turned their dogs over to the pound, and he said yes, they would fill out the bottom of the form with our information. Not too happy about that; we sometimes leave our dogs in their kennel if we’re gone all day, so they can do their business, and I wouldn’t want some angry yahoo messing with them. So we’ll be keeping them inside for a while. Good thing it’s after the holidays and we’re done being out and about.

. . .

And now the pound guy’s truck just whizzed back past our house after going to check on the house where these dogs supposedly belong, so I’m guessing that there was still no one home. So off the the pound they go, I guess.

I’m still more than a little uneasy. I have nothing against bull terriers (and that one seemed to be the nicer of the two), but I know what kind of owners they can attract. Plus the fact that these dogs had obviously gotten into some kind of minor scrapping, enough to draw blood . . . And I understand about escape artists – we’ve had a few ourselves – but this just doesn’t feel right.

It would be nice if the dogs get back home safely (I’d be beside myself if they ended up being put down) and their owners take the lesson to heart, and perhaps are grateful that we caught their dogs for them instead of leaving them to be hit by a car or worse. But knowing the state of mankind these days . . .

Wish us (and the poor puppies) luck.

I wish you luck. I sure hope there’s no backlash from their owners, if found. Keep us informed. It’s good that there’s caring people out there like you.

And think about this, even if they do end up getting put down, for at least a little while they are safe and well fed. My sister and I once actually witnessed a dog being abandoned at a busy intersection, but were unable to get the car license. So we picked up the dog, and next day took it to our vet. It was old and sick, and the vet offered(and we accepted) to euthanize the animal. But for one night it was cared for, warm, and fed, which is better than getting run over.

If it were me, personally, I would tape a note to the Bumpus’ door saying something along the lines of:

“Hey, this is one of your neighbors. We had a couple stray dogs come up to our place today that seemed to be injured. We tried to get a look at them, but they snapped at us and being as how they were injured, we called animal control to come check them out – just in case. We talked to another neighbor who thought they might be yours, if they are, animal control said they would contact you and let you know. I wish we could have helped them, but without tags & being injured, we really didn’t want to get bitten. If they’re not your dogs, but you know whose they are (brief description) please pass this note to them.”

It lets the neighbor know that what you did was to help, not to annoy and unless they truly are assholes (in which case they will be fucking with you regardless of you being the one who got their dogs arrested), they will appreciate the heads’ up.

I had a neighbor once who kept pit bulls. The male was friendly as could be but the female was a ticking time bomb. So much so that the neighbor would stand at the very edge of the reach of the leash and throw food at the dog. One day, it got loose and we had to call animal control – young kids in the neighborhood and the bitch growled and snapped at me. The neighbors started to create drama with me, but when I explained why I called animal control they admitted that the bitch had been moody of late and they were concerned. They ended up having to put her down not too long after that because she was completely unpredictable and volatile. We still smile and say hi when we see them around town.

Oh, Baker, that’s so sad. Some people are truly shits. Good on you too.

Litoris, it looks like the pound guy left a note stuck in the door. The side door to the garage had been open when Mr. S went down there, but now it’s closed and there’s a piece of paper sticking out. We did give him the rundown of our interaction with the dogs and our attempts to find their home, but I doubt any of that will be part of any conversation with the owners.

I don’t think I even want to rattle their cage (you should excuse the pun) any further. If they’re decent, they’ll appreciate their dogs being caught and some attempt being made to find out whose dogs they are. I know if it were me, I’d be baking cookies for people who made sure my dogs were safe. IF they’re assholes, I’d rather just stay clear.

Mr. S thought that the dogs may also be foreclosure abandonments. It’s the second of the month, after all, and they’re just now showing up? There’s a van that had been broken down parked in the Bumpus driveway, and no other signs of life. With the history of the place, maybe these most recent tenants are gone now too. Who knows?

We often wish we could just buy the place ourselves. But the first Bumpuses apparently racked up a lot of debt and somehow used home equity to do it, and whatever bank now owns it is still trying to recoup that with a grossly overinflated price. It’s a little dump on 2 crappy acres, and they’re asking more for it than our bigger, nicer place on 9 acres is worth.

I hate this. But thanks for the support. :slight_smile:

I’ll be interested to know what you find out. You totally did the right thing.

Around here, if Animal Control gets hold of the dogs, they aren’t returned to the owners until spay/neuter surgery has been done. They’ll happily give the dogs back to the owners, just not until they’re sterilized. It’s a great policy, IMHO!

I don’t understand how this policy could be even remotely acceptable.

I think it’s a great idea to spay/neuter unregistered or untagged animals. It gives them a greater chance to get adopted. If you know your pet has got loose, and don’t claim it/notify shelter right away, it’s your fault if it gets snipped. The stray population is a huge problem.

Because if you care about breeding your animals then you have to be sure to take better care of them than to let them run loose and end up in the hands of animal control, and really, no one ought to be breeding animals when millions have to be destroyed every year for lack of a home anyway?

Yea, but that’s not what’s happening in SeaDragon’s area. From my reading, you can call and notify them that your dog is missing before it gets there, and if they pick it up, they still won’t return it until you have it neutered.

I’m with Clairobscur.

Scarlett, you did all you could. I hope things work out for the best.

Urban/suburban America is drowning in a sea of unwanted uncontrolled pet offspring. It is becoming politcally unacceptable to kill any of them. “Save teh cute puppies!!!” is the degree of thinking the citizenry is willing to put into solving the problem. So the only solution is to prevent their birth.

Animal owners seem to come in two kinds. Completely responsible & completely irresponsible. There’s not a lot in the middle. It also seems that with grossly inadequate / overwhelmed enforcement, any given loose pet will only be captured on its 10 or 15th romp through the neighborhood. So the vast majority of captured animals are “repeat offenders” owned by clueless fucks.

Preventing their reproduction is all to the good.
Now in the rural environment where the OP lives these kinds of forced-sterilization laws would be more unlikley.

Well, the strange dogs went to the pound on Friday. The note the pound guy left in their door is still there, as is the (broken down?) van. No other signs of life. We’re thinking the tenants aren’t there anymore, and either these aren’t their dogs, or the dogs have been abandoned.

Poor pups. I feel a little better knowing that we probably didn’t send somebody’s dogs to the pound, and if they were truly abandoned, they’re in the right place. But still, I worry about their current life expectancy.

sigh As I said to Mr. S this morning, perfectly nice dogs get put down every day, and until people get religion about spaying/neutering and being responsible pet owners (so, essentially, never :frowning: ) there’s not a damn thing I can do about it.

My pups have been getting a lot of extra petting lately . . .

I’m with clairobscur about this one. Regardless of personal feelings about spaying/neutering, how can this be legal, unless there was a law that stated that all dogs must be spayed/neutered?

What happens if a purebred used for breeding purposes gets out accidentally and gets picked up by animal control? Even responsible pet owners can have accidents that may allow a normally restrained pet get out.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m all for spaying/neutering, but I think it’s completely over the top for an organization to refuse to give back a pet unless a procedure that is not required by law is performed.

In my county, the pound charges more to reclaim an animal that hasn’t been altered than one that has.

StG

I imagine that their life expectancy is nearly the same. Domesticated dogs tend to die quickly without someone looking after them, feeding them and such. Those dogs might have lived a LITTLE bit longer in the wild, but now they are warm, with full tummies, and at least have a chance of being adopted by a responsible human. You did the right thing for them, really and truly you did. If they’d been my dogs, I’d want someone to get them to the pound, because then at least I’d have a chance of getting them back.

One of our dogs DID get out a few years back. My BIL was not used to watching to make sure that the gate was closed while he was getting something from our back yard, and she got out, and we didn’t notice til several hours later. Someone found her, a dozen miles from home, and called the pound…we got her back because she was chipped. I’m glad that the person called the pound. Suzy probably decided to hitch a ride somewhere (she was always climbing into the car or truck, and might have hopped into the back of a pickup) and then didn’t know how to get back.

Those kinds of policies are usually backed up with city, county or state law or ordinance. Your friends and neighbors think the animal problem is so bad that they ask or allowed the policy to be in place. If it is just one places whim, sue them and get rich. No law is perfect (ask me how I know this) and if you live in an area and don’t know the local law - ordinances - and policy on something this important to you, that’s on you IMO. Make sure your special dog does. not. get. out.

I’ve volunteered with pounds before and the policy is in place for a reason. The vast majority of dogs picked up are without collar, tags, microchip, tattoo, or spay/neuter. They are assumed to be strays at that point. Especially considering that most of them are underweight, ill cared for and unsocialized. However, most places are accommodating if your animal is picked up with ID on it. I will say this firmly. There is NO excuse for your pet to be without some sort of ID. For those animals that wriggle out of collars, use a harness. If you can’t stand the harness for some idiotic, or aesthetic reason, then get your pet microchipped. People who can’t be arsed to get a valuable breeding animal microchipped and don’t use a harness/collar because it doesn’t look nice or “messes up their fur” are idiots.

This is a lot more reasonable. In my state, licenses cost more for unaltered dogs. I’m not sure what the policy is at the local pound.

Better to be put down at the pound than hit by a car.

I don’t understand the mindset of these kinds of people. They must have loved the animal at some point, since they went and got it, so why not take it to the shelter if you can’t take care of it anymore?

This sounds about right, and makes it all the sadder (not that they might possibly find good homes now, but that things are only going to get worse as jobs are lost and extra mouths are jettisoned) . You did a good thing.