wedding cake

Why are wedding cakes white?

WAG: White has traditionally been associated with purity.

So… if either the bride or groom are not virgins (let’s say for the sake of being charitable that it is a second marriage for one or both of them), does that mean the cake cannot be white?

Barry

According to this site the type of wedding cake differs by culture. They cite an example that Greek wedding cakes are traditionally a kind of fruit cake. I suspect that it has more to do with cultural norms, as Philster said, that white is associated with purity in American culture, and many other assoscialtions.

OTOH, it is dictated by tradtions that the bride should not wear a pure white wedding gown if she has been married before or is not herself a virgin when she gets married. The dress should then be off-or cream, in response to godzillatemple’s inquiry.

Well, ours was red!.. & Yes 2nd time around for us both

Red was the theme of the wedding, dress, waistcoats, table decs etc,etc

Everyone thought it was preety neat, even the cakemaker was thrilled to do someting different ( although she had most colours shown in her portfolio)

Also, need to toss this in from my days helping my family cater events:

White is almost ‘standard’ as a color for table clothes, ribbons and other such accessories at formals. Yes, black and white attire, but napkins and such are ‘white by default’ unless specified otherwise according to some theme.

Actually, good advice to anyone was to lean to white, since it is mostly mistake-free in decorating. Color can be added in layers of flowers or other accoutrements.

White generally = class, as far as catering or dedorating a yard, hall, etc for a formal affair.

Adding color is for the couple’s choice, and so many add tacky, trashy colors that going white with the majority of things is classiest.

White is ‘traditional’, especially in baked goods like cakes, cookies.

Also, don’t underestimate the Victorian influence, which in our experience is white, cremes and tasteful subdued colors.