Wednesday's Child is full of Woe. But I'm looking forward to new Wednesday series. Addams Family spinoff [Open Spoilers as of 2022-12-07]

A comment I saw, perhaps on IMDB, maybe even just up thread, is that naming their daughter Goody, Missus, Mistress, etc seems like something the Addams would do. So if the young Miss Goody Addams were to get married, she would then be Goody Goody Addams. See Major Major Major Major.

That’s what I hated most about Game of Thrones (shipping in general, that is, not lesbian-specific). it would make sense that there was a requited or unrequited love revealed between a pair of characters after a long period of platonicness, especially given the size of the cast, but it happened so many times that I couldn’t help but think that the writers of the later seasons were engaging in fanservice.

So, today I learned a totally new definition of an old word, shipping. I should be grateful that my knowledge base has increased, but instead I’m enraged. It’s like being told that “cucumber” also means “lazy.”

/Hijack

Its origin is a shortening of “relationship”.

It’s actually ancient in origin. It’s how Helen of Troy’s beauty launched a 1000 ships.

I enjoyed the series and look forward to a second season.

The setting, direction, and cinematography were fine. Jenna Ortega did a great job playing Wednesday, as did Gwendoline Christie playing Principal Larissa Weems.

The rest of the cast, particularly the young actors, performed well enough.

I realize the show is about Wednesday Addams, but I would like to see more at-home scenes with her family in season 2.

Catherine Zeta-Jones and Luis Guzmán as Morticia and Gomez have the right Addams look, but I’d like to see them play their characters more macabre and over-the-top going forward. A little John Astin-like savoir-faire would be nice, too.

Thing was excellent. I’d like to see a similarly well-played Cousin Itt introduced (better than the 60s TV show Itt, though…that was stupid). They need to give Lurch more screen time and have him play the character more zombie-ish, like Ted Cassidy, with his “you rang” catchphrase.

I don’t dislike Fred Armisen, but Uncle Fester is not a good role for him. Someone like Christopher Lloyd (as he played Doc in BttF) would be a perfect Fester (better even than Jackie Coogan).

How about how he played Fester in the movies?

Hmm, I didn’t know Lloyd played Fester till now (didn’t see the ‘91 version). Guess I’d make a good casting director.

I thought they both looked a little too old for the part. Both of them looked like college kids to me. (And i hang out with college kids every week.)

Ditto.

I read all the original comics, and watched the TV show when i was a kid.

Pugsley was shafted. Fester was good.

I was cross that two major characters died because Wednesday was so stubborn and self righteous. But i did enjoy it until the last episode.

I thought the actress was good, but the script was a little confused. She wavered between motives, i thought. That’s a bad description, but I’m having trouble coming up with a good one.

No way, Enid looked and acted like a middle schooler!

The whole, “hasn’t developed her wolf” thing is kinda a middle school puberty trope, but she’s a lot kinder and more self aware than a middle schooler. And she looks, physically, like a college kid.

Though they grew to be friends, they showed no romantic inclination to each other or any other females, and between the two of them have romantic interactions or demonstrated inclinations towards a total of five males. (And the Wednesday character would have no issue stating her preferences.)

So yeah, that would be out of the blue, I’d think.

People keep harping on the “they had chemistry” angle like their relationship was not horribly toxic and abusive. Enid decided they were best friends the moment they met and Wednesday did nothing but openly mock her until she needed something then faked a friendship in order to use her. Even when they finally had Enid stand up for herself and bail they just had her come back like a kicked puppy without a single hint of change or apology from Wednesday. It’s terrifying to me that people are rooting for this to turn into a romantic relationship, they must really hate Enid.

Are you familiar with the word “slash”?

Here is the TV Tropes article on shipping. It points out that the term is so pervsive among fans, the Other Wikipedia has a disambiuation link in its article on freight transportation. Further, it says:

Canon and authorial intent do not dictate people’s shipping preference. You’d be hard-pressed to find anything that honestly puts any sort of restraint on shipping preference. Characters may be shipped despite being still in grade school, of the wrong sexuality, biologically related, dead, Just Friends, mortal enemies or just generally the bane of each other’s existence, separated by an age gap of decades or centuries, not of the same narrative continuum, part of a story where romance just isn’t an issue, inanimate objects, nigh total strangers, considered as a possible couple at all only because they’re both left single after you’re done pairing everybody else, polar opposites in terms of morality, extremely implausible as a couple by design or even outright denied to ever possibly get together by Word of God.

I really didn’t recognize Christina Ricci as Thornhill. I kept expecting a cameo.

Really? Christina Ricci just looks like Christina Ricci, she’s hard to miss.

I think it was the hair.

Same - I kept waiting for her to show up and then realized it was Ricci under the hair and glasses.

I recognized her right away, but her eyes are always a giveaway. She had a very different look in Yellowjackets as well.