Well Damn!...I didn't notice

How out of shape I was getting.
Did any of you ever have this happen? You suddenly realize something about yourself that you never noticed? Or admitted something you were denying?
I’ve just recently started working out again, I’d put on some wieght in the past year or two, and thought that I could just hop back on that treadmill and start up right were I left off.

I was quickly disabused of that notion.
I could barely manage a mile before I had to slow to a walk…and that mile wasn’t at any record breaking pace either. I was truely depressed for days after this, and angry at myself. When I left the miltary 3 years ago, I was 189lbs at 6’2" and in good shape. Was running about 2 miles 3 days a week. Now I’m 215 :frowning: , and am extreamly pissed at myself.

So, have any of you out there realized something about yourselves like this?..

On a side note, since I started reading this board, I’ve also realized that I’m not nearly as smart as I thought I was :slight_smile:
Kris

“Earn cash in your spare time–blackmail your friends.”
-Anon

Yeah, that happened to me a few years ago. After not exercising for about six months, I decided to join a gym and took a spin class. It was difficult, but I got through it. The bad part was after - I couldn’t walk for a week and a half afterwards. I’ve never been so sore in my life.

I’m glad to report that the incident prompted me into exercising again, and I’ve been a 2-5 time a week exerciser for the past couple years. Nothing like getting out of shape to scare you into it.

What’s a spin class?

Remember, I’m pulling for you; we’re all in this together.
—Red Green

Aerobic conditioning degrades very quickly when you stop working out. I can’t remember the exact numbers, but even a couple of weeks off can cause you to lose a fair amount of conditioning, and I think you lose over 50% of your endurance gains after only a couple of months without exercise.

Rilchiam, a spin class is a bunch of people, all in the same room, pretending to ride bikes really fast. hehe, actually, they’re pretty damn hard. A lot of cyclists take the classes to stay in shape in the off season or to learn new cycling techniques like sprinting. I much prefer doing the real thing. My cycling time is like therapy.
Hey Atrael, I had the same thing happen but I didn’t want to work out any more so I started tanning. Tan fat sure looks a lot better than white, pasty fat :wink:

“The world is not five hours old and evil has already entered it” - Aslan
The Magician’s Nephew

errr, pastey I mean…

Atrael, I don’t want to sound egotistical, but for me it is the exact opposite. While I was in college I developed a phobia of taking my shirt off. Let’s just say the Seinfeld episode with the mansierre hit too close to home.

Anyway, about 8 month’s ago I started working out 5 days a week for 1.5 - 2 hours. I was feeling a lot stronger, and I was lifting more and more weight, but I didn’t really think it was showing. That’s until I ran into people I hadn’t seen for awhile who kept asking me if I was working out.

I finally broke my worst fear and took off my shirt while sitting in the bleachers at the Cubs game. My friends girlfriend told me I had a great body (pissing him off :slight_smile: ) I no longer have that fear.

I can’t begin to tell you how much working out has improved my life (both physically and mentally)

“My guitar is my first wife. It doesn’t scream at me. It screams for me.” SRV

Since I quit smoking about a month and a half ago, I’ve gained maybe five or seven pounds. Ok, now granted this takes me from a massive 140ish and raises me up into the 150ish pound behemoth range for a 6’1" male, but none of my work pants fit me anymore and as I sit here, the button on my jeans is undone. Plus my mother said I was obviously gaining weight. And people at work. And my girlfriend.

I think I’m going to take up smoking again :wink:

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”