Well, so much for fucking racial harmony!!

I voted Obama. Not because of his skin color but because of his view.
Setting that aside, I was really looking forward to a Black man being President because I thought I would do leaps and bounds towards racial harmony.

Guess what? I WAS WRONG!! Never have I heard such vile bullshit in my life; from the people I work with and the people I heard talking shit and making jokes at the bar I was at today.
Man people suck!

This is so depressing.

Just take careful inner notes of the people who say such things.

Later, when they are attempting to convince you of the goodness of their hearts and the content of their character, you will already know the truth of it.

Ditto. And a big fuck you to the many people I’ve heard expressing their hope that Biden will take over within the year. :mad:

I haven’t heard any of that stuff yet.

That’s a good thing, because it’s that many fewer times I have to tell people to go fuck themselves.

I was discussing the election with a guy I met on Monday night. “Obama’s going to win,” I said. “Sure,” he replied, then laughed, “but he’ll be assassinated anyway, so it doesn’t matter!”

And this is in Canada, the supposedly left-wing neighbour.

Closest thing I heard today was a guy collecting funds for some Christian youth group stuff who praised Obama, but then quickly reassured me that he wasn’t going to be a crazy president, he’d just be like Clinton. :smiley:

I had a rather bizarre experience while watching the election results in a local watering hole. This situation is quite the opposite of the sentiments of this thread, but I really have to get it off my chest.

Right after the networks declared victory for Barack (who I supported with every ounce of my soul), I went to go and take a pee. Upon returning, I passed a group of black dudes. One guy yells out “Hey Kobayashi!” (I’m Japanese-American and my name is not Kobayashi nor am I a champion competitive food eater). I look at him with astonishment and say “What the fuck does that mean?”.

Listen fucktard, on a truly historic night for America and African-Americans, it’s quite stupid to be spewing racist shit. It was really surreal. I live in a pretty progressive town where if people are racist, they tend to keep it to themselves, or at least don’t yell out epithets to random people. Jeezus, we’ve come a long ways, but we still have a long way to go.

I have to laugh along and play to this kind of shit all the time to keep friends and maintain relationships, all the while I die a little inside. The Red’s like to provoke and see where you stand. I’m not going to condemn them, because that’s a dead end. Sometimes I’ll humor them because otherwise it’s refusing a solution.

Livin’ in the Red…

Did we expect racism to disappear overnight?

I present to you all the Facebook and MySpace statuses of just a few of my (now EX) friends:
BLANK is having a heart attack. A terrorist is about to take office. Thank God I am not in the military anymore. And I feel bad for everyone who is still in… :(.

BLANK Can’t believe people cried last night. . .
Was this election all about a black man? Or were there issues involved? 7 hours ago.

BLANK obama is a little bitch!!! watch him get assassinated!!! i fucking hate that ass hole!!! hes gonna convert us to communism.
! Yesterday.

BLANK Well atleast he isn’t 100% African-American so really little Tyron can"t be “whatever he wants to be” because we have yet to see a real Black president!!!

BLANK "It has been a pleasure knowing you all… FUCK obama.
"

BLANK …don’t get too excited just yet, Liberals. He won’t make it to the inauguration. Hitler gave great speeches, too.

BLANK is hoping everyone has been living their life right for the end is near.

BLANK says Welcome to East Africa, est 2008

BLANK thinks at least it wasn’t a woman.
BLANK says Obama sounds too much like osama.

BLANK Our country is now in the hands of Al-qaeda. You thought 9/11 was bad, you f*cks just wait.

BLANK hopes America is happy that they elected the muslim.

BLANK will never take orders from a muslim president.

BLANK has given up on my entire generation. I’m not going to work tomorrow, I am just going to sit at home, collect welfare checks and buy a an Escalade.

The beauty of the above is that there isn’t a single person in that list who I wouldn’t have previously put into the good, intelligent person category.

Yup. Like was said above, now we can take a full accounting of those we associate with and cut them out of our lives post haste.

Well, can’t comment on Facebook, but in my experience, about 95% of Myspace is a festering pit of slack-jawed stupidity. Present company excepted, of course.

My Myspace ‘friends’ are few and not all are friends, but I at least know them from RL, and if they ever posted shit that vile they’d be off my page in an instant. Good on ya.

Meanwhile, it is indeed beginning to appear that anywhere from 10 to 40% of the population of this country has blown its collective mind. I really don’t think there is much of an option but to confront and shame the people who try this sort of thing.
It’s quite a sight, though, and I only hope it doesn’t spiral into violence.

What I find amazing about this is how so many people are not only prepared to come out with openly racist statements, but to splash them about this publicly, seeming to assume that everybody shares their views.

Well if they were all friends on DiosaBellissima’s list it’s quite possible that a lot of them are each others friends, in which case they’ll be getting plenty of affirmation for said views.

My ‘favourite’ one has to be “BLANK …don’t get too excited just yet, Liberals. He won’t make it to the inauguration. Hitler gave great speeches, too.” So angry that (s)he can’t decide whether Obama is more likely to be assassinated or a fascist dictator, so just runs with both.

I’m sorry–and I certainly don’t aim to offend you–but I’m not sure I understand this.

I won’t presume to know why you feel you have to keep friends and maintain relationships with these kinds of people (and I don’t envy you if you really must), but you’re certainly able to make your displeasure known, aren’t you? Or would something of great worth be at stake (e.g., your very life), if you *didn’t *laugh and play along?

I’m not surprised. Not at all.

I guarantee you that there are many, many good people who don’t confront the people in their lives who they know to be racist. Just look at devilsknew’s post #8. I assure you that he/she is not alone.

Wow. I’m happy to report I haven’t seen anything like this at work or from my Facebook friends.
Of course, at work I have a good idea whose opinions not to ask for.

There is one guy at work who’s so upset about Obama’s win that he won’t talk to anybody, though.

Why do you *want *to be friends with them?"

If they want to see where you stand, then show them where you stand.

What “solution” are you refusing by not humoring them? I don’t understand what you mean.

I sympathize with your discomfort, and I get that you don’t want your life to be a constant battle, but… you only get one soul, dude. You should treat it with more respect.

Wow, sorry to hear that, man.

Did the skidmark venture a response to your question, or did he at least have the decency to hang his fool head and close his pie-hole? I’d hope that he apologized, but I’ve come to expect very little from the asshole cohort, so I’d guess that he didn’t.

I do wish that you’d spoken aloud the bolded portion above. And loudly. Might not have done any good (what with him being an asshole, and immature to boot), but it might have at least earned him looks of scorn from others who were present. I’m a black dude, and I would’ve loved to have shot him eyes of daggers if I’d been there.

But are you an associate of Keyser Soze?

Humoring racists is encouraging them. Are you sure you want to do that?