Well, so much for fucking racial harmony!!

Hmm, so far all I’ve heard is the one about the Obama Christmas tree ornament.

I haven’t heard that one, and Google reveals nothing.

?

It’s push and pull. I try to find common ground because I really don’t want to alienate any more people than I already do, and I don’t feel an ounce of hate for these people. I’m not complacent, I try to point out things in a way, and a way that hopefully they are more willing to listen to, but I don’t confront and condemn. I’ts also true that I don’t want to be ostracized.

Condemning or humiliating these people does nothing more than confirm every conspiritorial theory and hateful fear that they have at this turning point. The Bush era is over now. I will not visit in retribution, nor continue the politics of fear, alienation, and division that they have subjected myself, themselves, and others to. I will continue to communicate with them rather than alienate them and make them more hateful and fearful.

It might seem a bending in principle, but it’s not that cut and dried, nor black and white.

Then everyone can hang a nigger from a tree.

I’m not either. Ignorant people tend to assume everyone agrees with them, and on top of that, it’s the internet - people feel freer to voice stupid and hostile sentiments when the person they are communicating with can’t see them (or punch them).

Okay, now that’s hilarious. Was the march on Selma last Tuesday? :frowning:

Start drinking a more water, cause there are a lot of salty crackers out there.

I’ve been hearing the same shit too. It’s like everyone thinks its a free-for-all on the black jokes. I’m hearing it at work and on the radio. I’ve even heard a couple of people on the radio (one caller and one host on 2 different shows) say that “they” can’t play the race card anymore because we elected “one of them”. Maybe I should have anticipated this type of attitude, but I really didn’t see it coming.

Here is what I posted in another Pit thread.

No, but we thought it had gone away a bit during the last twenty thousand nights.

I also meant to say that when I hear this stuff said in front of me, I just shut my mouth because I don’t want everyone to think they have to watch their mouths in front of me. Despite being HR, we have a very relaxed atmosphere and I do enjoy the occasional sex joke or inappropriate email. But at the same time, I’m condoning their racism by not saying anything.

You don’t want to condemn them, so instead you encourage them ? You enable bigotry when you go along to get along; you validate their beliefs by making it look like others agree with them, and by not challenging them.

And you shouldn’t befriend people who make you “die a little inside” anyway.

…while it’s not going to disappear in a moment, the fact is we did elect a half-black. I personally know someone who is very out-spoken against black people, and doesn’t like them - but when pressed and nagged, admitted to voting for Obama.

I dunno, I don’t like the racist jokes myself, and have heard “sand-nigger” directed at members of my family on occasion, but…

We elected a half-black president. I can’t tell you what that means to me.

Hee! This is my absolute favorite!

That man is black. For once, there is no doubt. He looks it, he sounds it, he identifies with it, and he has been ‘judged’ it all his life. He embraces it and revels in it. I know that often when blacks accomplish great things the race is on by the racists to find ways that he isn’t really black. Well they should have thought of that before they (racists) decided that if it walks like a black, and talks like then it was less than a man.

So I say to them my new motto: He’s black. Accept it.

Darryl Lict, that is ridiculous. I promise you those guys were the kind of idiots that your average young black men would have smacked upside the head for such stupidity. I hope.

Again, another otherwise intelligent person I know (and I mean that!) said to me yesterday, “Yeah, now that we’ve like, elected a black guy, I believe all social and special programs for black people should stop.” To which I said, “Yup, because with the election of Barack Obama, racism has stopped all together! Hooray and what a beautiful day!”

I hear ya, but my first order of business would’ve been to ask them just which social programs that are established for the benefit of *only blacks they were referring to. And by “social,” I’m guessing that they’re referring to government programs, but are they also referring to non-governmental programs?

*No, really, folks–that’s a serious question. If I’ve somehow managed to remain outside of the loop on this for lo these 38 years that I’ve been alive, please fight my ignorance. I’d greatly appreciate it. And since I don’t want to run the risk of hijacking this thread, please feel free to PM or e-mail me (the link should be in my profile).

A lot of middle class white folks believe that the government, or The Man, gives out a bunch of hand outs to people cause they are black. They feel they are the target of racism, or reverse racism, and life is unfair, something something, welfare queen. “My life wouldn’t suck if the Government stopped giving that black man a free sandwich!”

Not kidding, I have vast experience with this, both with my parents and my close friends over the years.

Or an unwinnable scenario?

No, but the fact was, there’s no one event that’s going to do away with racism. Selma helped. Brown v. Board helped. The marches on DC helped. None of them eradicated racism, it’s been around and kicking, though obviously (thankfully!) in a reduced form since then.

What happened last night was so tremendous because there still is racism. It’s a giant, bright red “FUCK YOU” to racists everywhere. Today a lot of those racists are really damned pissed, and now they’re showing their true colors. My point was just that, unfortunately, people were racist on the morning of November 4th, and I’m not surprised that they were still racists on the morning of November 5th.

Obama’s election sends a clear message to racists that they are in the minority. Which I’m pretty sure is ironic.

I know that a large part of that is ignorance, but in my direct experience, at least here in Chicago, south side specifically, that’s what middle class white people see happen. They don’t understand the layers of racism and bigotry that are a part of the structures/things that prevent upward mobility in black society, even when they are part of those same layers.

They see a woman in a full length ranch mink coat, gucci eyeglasses and gold rings on each finger buy a basket full of groceries, pay with the Link card (food stamps) leave the store, load the entire thing into a brand new Lexus SUV and drive away. They make assumptions based on facts not in evidence, and go only on what they can see and don’t bother to think of other possibilties (like this woman may have been purchasing the groceries for someone else).

On the other hand, a black woman with whom I used to work part-time, who was a regional manager for the security company I worked for, who made upwards of $60,000 yearly as did her husband, who was a sector manager, bragged to a roomful of us that she was using a state program to pay her gas bill. That’s fraud, and would be seen as another example of a “welfare queen” who is raping the system. Franky, many middle class whites don’t know of another middle class white person that does that or that they can point to an example of. Of COURSE, that’s not to say it doesn’t happen, I know it does, but the majority, again, only IME, of the people complaining so loudly have this same experience without the ability or benefit of abstract thought regarding other possibilities or knowing individual scenarios that might bring about the necessary paradigm shift.

This is a common trait in the human being. Assumption is indeed the mother of all fuck-ups, however there are times when experience tells you that something is likely and then it happens, affirming your opinion as fact. It’s hard, with everything we have to do today, to sit down and completely dissect our thought processes and examine them for wrong or improper thoughts, especially when we may not know what is or isn’t improper based on how, and by whom we were raised. In fact, most don’t have the ability or desire to do that. It’s easier to muddle along in your comfort zone than to have what you know constantly challenged.

We will come to a point in our evolution that will force us to stop looking at one another as this race or that, and look at one another first as humans, then as citizens of the world, then of our nations. This point is, I believe, several generations away on both ends of the spectrum.