We're all in the mood for a melody

Holy crap! Just now before checking here I posted Johnny River’s Secret Agent Man to someone who mistakenly posted the news that another one of Trump’s campaign managers has been linked to the KGB in a music group. I mean, like, whodathunk I’d here two Johnny Rivers songs in such a short span of time?

Hmmm. There are no coincidences. Probably warrants an investigation. :wink:

Secret Agent Man was another fun song, BTW!

They had some good success until 62/63 or so, but most of all they had a profound influence on the Beatles, the Byrds, Gram Parsons and the whole genre of country rock (even on Dylan. He stole the “Wake Up Liitle Susie” riff for "Highway 51 Blues" on his very first album). One of the most influential acts of early rock.

You beat me to it! One of my all-time favorite videos.

Might as well listen to my favorite song on the album, too:

I love this song. Talihina Sky

Since no one plays enough Jesus and Mary Chain these days…

Did you know that song was originally a vocal? :slight_smile:

No, I did not know this. Now to go see if I can find it. Swing Out Sister has a version!

Wow that was something. Missed it at the time - probably only played on College Radio??

Can’t find any info about this group. Weird.

THESE are summertime songs:

Sherlock Holmes!

Didn’t know that.

Are these the same guys?

Also, inspired by terentii, here are some summer songs:

I’m going to stick to Kiwi artists for now. Spread some love for tunes you might not otherwise get to hear.

Edit: Congress of Animals is a sort of New Zealand “super group” featuring a collaboration of artists who’ve made a local name for themselves in their own right, including Brett McKenzie of Flight of the Conchords. I like the melodic bass, smooth vocals, interesting guitar work, and cruisy harmonies.

Sinatra’s version of “How Insensitive” recorded in 1967. Originally titled “Insensatez” and composed by Antônio Carlos Jobim and released in 1963, it’s been covered by very different artists, including Peggy Lee, Telly Savalas, Olivia Newton-John, Petula Clark, The Monkees, Liberace, William Shatner (really?), Iggy Pop, Judy Garland, The 5th Dimension, Sinéad O’Connor and Robert Wyatt, according to Wikipedia.

It’s not an upbeat song. I think of the words “morose” and “bittersweet.” Look for the lyrics and you’ll see how well the music fits the story told. In Sinatra’s version (with Jobim), I love the rich harmonies. Whoever did the strings there did a really fine job.

A sparkling Lloyd Cole track. On guitar is the estimable Robert Quine (who played on Matthew Sweet’s “Girlfriend”). Turn it up to 11!

You people just can’t stop counting at ONE.
What this thread needs is for someone to establish some New Order:

That made my day!