Were These Songs Hits Nationwide or Just Locally?

Our local “Classic Rock” station plays these two songs pretty regularly. Both of the bands are “local” bands, hailing from Illinois. Obviously they came out in the 60’s or 70’s, when I was but a wee lad (well, in the 60’s I wasn’t even a fetus until the last couple of months), so I don’t know for certain how big these bands actually made it.

The first one is called “Lake Shore Drive,” by a band called Aliotta, Haynes & Jeremiah. Papparasta considers it the best song ever written. Here’s a sample:

“There’s a road I’d like to tell you about, and it’s in my hometown.
Lake Shore Drive the road is called and it’ll take you up or down.
From rags on up to riches 15 minutes you can glide.
There ain’t no finer place to be than ridin’ on Lake Shore Drive.”

The second is by a band called Head East. I don’t know the title of the song, but the bridge (sung a capella) sounds like this:

“Save my life I’m goin’ down for the last time. Woman with the sweet love better than a white line.”

Did these songs make it big outside of Illinois?

Never heard the first one, but the classic station in Des Moines plays the Head East song daily.

But then, we’re just next door, and they probably toured at least this far.

Head East is played here in Colorado Springs.

head east gets played in vermont and california. never hear the other one, though.

-ellis

The Head East song is called There’s Never Been Any Reason, or something similar. Yes, it was a national hit.

Never heard of the first one. It must have been local, or maybe regional.

Never Been Any Reason has some cool Hammond Organ work in it… Sweeps and glissandos :slight_smile:

Sweet Basil

I am NOT a hacker!

This is a legit question, because even now, though the general public does not realize it, many “big hits” are regional. We in radio know this, thats why many outside of the south may have never heard of “Cravin Melon” or Edwin McCain. It takes a really big hit to sweep coast to coast. Oddly enough though, once you do this the first time as an artist, it gets very easy to do it again.

To answer the OP question, I personally have heard of either here in NC.

“Love seeketh not itself to please, nor for itself hath any care, but for another gives its ease, and builds a Heaven in Hell’s despair.” - William Blake

Thats HAVE NOT heard of either.

Sorry.